• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Ben Stokes named England Captain

46 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Can’t disagree with any of that. Like you say I think the key is the first 4 batsman to occupy the crease making it much easier for Bairstow and Stokes later on in the innings. He does have that glaring weakness the the ball swinging in mainly due to the amount of white ball cricket he plays but I think if (and it’s a big if) the top order works as it should then he shouldn’t be facing too many unplayable in swingers. 

I think we need another opener with Lees. Crawley is a walking wicket and there are quite a few doing well this season so far in the county games 

Agreed. Crawley clearly has talent, but we need someone much more obdurate as an opener and crawley doesnt fit that mould. I also think that his confidene will be pretty low from the last coule of games, not just from the batting, but he hasn't been great in the slips either. <aybe it is time for someone to have a go. But who is there. Most of the openers in the runs this season are the usual quality county batsmen who regularly do well but have been tried and failed at international level, i.e. Sibley, Jennings, Burns, Vince, Lyth

Advert:

20 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Agreed. Crawley clearly has talent, but we need someone much more obdurate as an opener and crawley doesnt fit that mould. I also think that his confidene will be pretty low from the last coule of games, not just from the batting, but he hasn't been great in the slips either. <aybe it is time for someone to have a go. But who is there. Most of the openers in the runs this season are the usual quality county batsmen who regularly do well but have been tried and failed at international level, i.e. Sibley, Jennings, Burns, Vince, Lyth

One I mentioned before we went for Lees was Haines at Sussex he’s continued to do well this season and was very good last year. Other than that at the minute it’s like you say going back to someone else - I wouldn’t be too upset if Jennings got another go though personally. Better opener than we have had recently 

Haines has been fairly consistent over the years and was in the Lions squad so I suspect he's in the thinking. A minor point but he's also got a lot of county championship captaincy experience which may be useful considering Stokes' injury record. 

I guess the other one that stands out is Compton. An 80 in the game against Gloucs and a FC ave of 89 after 29 innings is pretty impressive. He also scored a ton against the NZ side in their warm-up game too.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

One I mentioned before we went for Lees was Haines at Sussex he’s continued to do well this season and was very good last year. Other than that at the minute it’s like you say going back to someone else - I wouldn’t be too upset if Jennings got another go though personally. Better opener than we have had recently 

I would assume that Compton will be the next in line though the feeling I have is they’re going to give Crawley an extended run to see if he can play himself into form. Personally I just feel the fact he keeps getting out the same way suggests a weakness he needs to go away and work on rather than hope it fixes itself out in the middle.

Jennings not the worst shout. Will give him this he has always been a fine player of spin which will be handy looking ahead to the winter.

Advert:

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

I would assume that Compton will be the next in line though the feeling I have is they’re going to give Crawley an extended run to see if he can play himself into form. Personally I just feel the fact he keeps getting out the same way suggests a weakness he needs to go away and work on rather than hope it fixes itself out in the middle.

Jennings not the worst shout. Will give him this he has always been a fine player of spin which will be handy looking ahead to the winter.

Yeah Compton another good one. I don’t mind Crawley but he just isn’t an opening batsman. He would be ok at 5/6 where the ball isn’t swinging but like you say at the minute he’s just getting out the same way and he isn’t able to fix it. Jennings although not brilliant I think is steady enough and like you say he’s excellent against spin. I’d expect Compton to be before him though and for me personally Haines. I follow Sussex and last couple of years he’s come on a long way 

I think I would give Crawley this next match and then make a decision on him. No pressure on the game, series won, has to hit something. I would put leach in that category but i just don’t rate him at all 

Edited by valiant_593

On 15/06/2022 at 14:39, valiant_593 said:

Yeah Compton another good one. I don’t mind Crawley but he just isn’t an opening batsman. He would be ok at 5/6 where the ball isn’t swinging but like you say at the minute he’s just getting out the same way and he isn’t able to fix it. Jennings although not brilliant I think is steady enough and like you say he’s excellent against spin. I’d expect Compton to be before him though and for me personally Haines. I follow Sussex and last couple of years he’s come on a long way 

I think I would give Crawley this next match and then make a decision on him. No pressure on the game, series won, has to hit something. I would put leach in that category but i just don’t rate him at all 

Don't think there will be many people who will argue with you about Leach. He can spin it a bit, but he cannot tie down an end and create pressure. Is there anyone in the A side who we could consider promoting?

Judging by the recent Warne ball of the century recreation challenge we might have a few decent spinners in 10 years time.

1 minute ago, Guppys left peg said:

Good first two sessions with the ball by England at Headingley. With that said I think below is the most bizarre dismissal have ever seen. How unlucky is Nicholls there?

Just caught that. Amazing 

Advert:

18 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Anyone been watching the games against the Dutch? 

Highly entertaining and been streamed for free on the website and on youtube I believe 

Yep, I enjoyed those games. England's one day game looks in good shape. They may only have been playing minnows but you can only beat who you're playing that day and they did so pretty convincingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

Good first two sessions with the ball by England at Headingley. With that said I think below is the most bizarre dismissal have ever seen. How unlucky is Nicholls there?

Wondered how leech had picked up two wickets 😂

Advert:

Yeah I’ve got mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I understand why you’d launch a counter but each test is different and has different playing conditions so need to adjust. England have committed to this style and fair play if it comes off like Trent Bridge but today is what can also happen doing that.

Might not even bat out the allocated twenty overs at this rate 😅