onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Stokes named England Captain

boslemportvale91

4 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Looks like we might get another exciting run chase in order. 296 to win for England. Fair play to Jack Leech for getting 10 wickets in the match, not been his biggest fan but he’s bowled really well in this match as has Matt Potts too.

Anyone in the Leeds area they’re doing free admission for tomorrows play as well. Great to see this become a trend after Notts did the same.

Agreed, should be interesting this. Regardless of result been a great series - leech had some luck but probably the best he’s bowled for England. Great trend, never Understood why they finish test matches on Mondays though 

Advert

15 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Agreed, should be interesting this. Regardless of result been a great series - leech had some luck but probably the best he’s bowled for England. Great trend, never Understood why they finish test matches on Mondays though 

True though he did have a couple edged through slip as well in fairness when Root was stood too wide. Seemed in general just to have bit more energy in the ball than just putting it there like he had been.

Crawley needs to really show something in this innings for my money. Only so long can keep being carried and won’t get any easier against Bumrah and co next week.

Credit to Mitchell and Blundell for NZ. Must be among the greatest batting performances through a series in a losing effort from them.

Should be interesting to see what happens now in the one-off India Test. 

Fair play to Pant. I'm not a huge fan of him as I do think Indian fans can over-hype his players but fair enough - he has single-handedly changed the complexion of the game and it was thrilling stuff.

Will England be able to employ the same style against the Indian bowlers?

I think we will try and struggle. I think they got used to the NZ bowling and after the new ball they didn’t have too much, this Indian side do. I think if we go out and try and smash it around again we could be skittled. I don’t buy that Crawley is such a key player because he’s aggressive and tries to hit quick runs as per what Stokes and BM have said. Leech back to going at 7/8 an over today, first day so not much spin but you have to bowl better that that even if opposition are trying to take you on. 

Indian fans over hype everything. They’ve already won this game apparently. 

India fans are pricks anyway. They don't clap or applaud the opposition players when they get 50s, 100s and 5 wickets in an innings like England do. 

The Indian side is miles better than England's anyway there batting depth is down to 9. Whereas us we have 2 openers that don't score many and 8,9,10,11 Potts broad leach and Anderson are all number 11 batters. Billings hasn't got much of a decent record in the 4 day county game either so surprised he is playing as a test match wicketkeeper batsman. We have to keep relying on root bairstow and stokes for the bulk of our runs.

Stokes is a class batsman but he needs to rein it in. You can't get away with playing kamikaze gung ho cricket against world class bowling attacks that can bring on top class bowlers to back up the two opening bowlers. He is capable of taking world class bowling attacks apart if he plays himself in, waiting for the bad ball at first before becoming more expansive in his shot selection. When we play the Aussies I cannot see this style of batting working against Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon. 

Has there ever been any radio commentary on any sport better than TMS. Even though over the years some of the greats have beenn lost like John Arlott, Fred Trueman, Brian Johnson etc etc it's still so informative and entertaining.

In the current game vs India a little ditty about "Wafters" had me in stitches, someone made the comment about David Gower being an "Elegant wafter" such that it was impossible to get angry with him etc.

59 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Has there ever been any radio commentary on any sport better than TMS. Even though over the years some of the greats have beenn lost like John Arlott, Fred Trueman, Brian Johnson etc etc it's still so informative and entertaining.

In the current game vs India a little ditty about "Wafters" had me in stitches, someone made the comment about David Gower being an "Elegant wafter" such that it was impossible to get angry with him etc.

Have been listening for over 37 years and it feels like a privilege. At the moment I am really enjoying the rich cultured tones of Prakash Wakanker,his superb command of the English language is a true delight,warm and humourous along with good game knowledge.

2 hours ago, wurzel valiant said:

Stokes is a class batsman but he needs to rein it in. You can't get away with playing kamikaze gung ho cricket against world class bowling attacks that can bring on top class bowlers to back up the two opening bowlers. He is capable of taking world class bowling attacks apart if he plays himself in, waiting for the bad ball at first before becoming more expansive in his shot selection. When we play the Aussies I cannot see this style of batting working against Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon. 

Agreed. Stokes has always been aggressive. There’s no need for this attitude that after facing 5-10 balls I’m going to smack a decent ball for 6. Makes no sense, bairstow has played it perfect. Think he was on 10 or so off 50 balls at one point. Play aggressive but you still have to earn the right to. Like you say Stokes is easily good enough to just reign it in a bit especially at the start. Needs to play a captains innings 2nd time round. 

Archived