onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Stokes named England Captain

boslemportvale91

Advert

Got to go down as one of the great England wins that. I think the Stokes and McCullum era is going to be fun to watch even if occasionally will slip up.

Really well done to Notts as well for letting people in for free today as well. Seeing that action today may well have drawn a lot of new fans to the sport.

16 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Always felt bairstow should play like this. He’s an outstanding white ball cricketer, batting at 5 he has the freedom to play like this and looks 10x the player than when he’s blocking - not sure why NZ keep bowling short to him though!  Only issue for me today is Crawley again. Lees looked excellent in both innings, shame he hasn’t got a century. Crawley and leech out next game I think. Hopefully stokes is fit as he looks like he’s struggling 

I agree but there are three problems with Bairstow:

1. He is still massively vulnerable to being bowled so most bowlers have a simple plan to get him out. 

2. The top order batsmen rarely provide a platform for him to stike out like this. A more commoon scenario is that he comes in at 30-3. I understand this this is not his fault. It was the same when Peterson was in the side, brilliant at times, maddening at others when you needed him to knuckle down.

3. Whilst he looks amazing in a run chase like yesterdays he does not seem to have the game to get out of trouble when we need people to occupy the crease. as you say, he is a brilliant white ball batsman. His opposite in the NZ side Mitchell is a classic example of an adaptable middle order batsman. Whilst it is exciting, sometimes test batting needs to be a bit more restrained. Boring as it may sound, occupying the crease, wearing down the opposition bowlers is a key part of test match cricket. Or perhaps I am an out of touch, old fart, not aware that test cricket should just be effectively back to back one-day games.

Regardless, this performance should be enough to cement his place in the side for the near future, which should shut up Bairstow-doubters like me for a while.

9 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

I agree but there are three problems with Bairstow:

1. He is still massively vulnerable to being bowled so most bowlers have a simple plan to get him out. 

2. The top order batsmen rarely provide a platform for him to stike out like this. A more commoon scenario is that he comes in at 30-3. I understand this this is not his fault. It was the same when Peterson was in the side, brilliant at times, maddening at others when you needed him to knuckle down.

3. Whilst he looks amazing in a run chase like yesterdays he does not seem to have the game to get out of trouble when we need people to occupy the crease. as you say, he is a brilliant white ball batsman. His opposite in the NZ side Mitchell is a classic example of an adaptable middle order batsman. Whilst it is exciting, sometimes test batting needs to be a bit more restrained. Boring as it may sound, occupying the crease, wearing down the opposition bowlers is a key part of test match cricket. Or perhaps I am an out of touch, old fart, not aware that test cricket should just be effectively back to back one-day games.

Regardless, this performance should be enough to cement his place in the side for the near future, which should shut up Bairstow-doubters like me for a while.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Like you say I think the key is the first 4 batsman to occupy the crease making it much easier for Bairstow and Stokes later on in the innings. He does have that glaring weakness the the ball swinging in mainly due to the amount of white ball cricket he plays but I think if (and it’s a big if) the top order works as it should then he shouldn’t be facing too many unplayable in swingers. 

I think we need another opener with Lees. Crawley is a walking wicket and there are quite a few doing well this season so far in the county games 

46 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Can’t disagree with any of that. Like you say I think the key is the first 4 batsman to occupy the crease making it much easier for Bairstow and Stokes later on in the innings. He does have that glaring weakness the the ball swinging in mainly due to the amount of white ball cricket he plays but I think if (and it’s a big if) the top order works as it should then he shouldn’t be facing too many unplayable in swingers. 

I think we need another opener with Lees. Crawley is a walking wicket and there are quite a few doing well this season so far in the county games 

Agreed. Crawley clearly has talent, but we need someone much more obdurate as an opener and crawley doesnt fit that mould. I also think that his confidene will be pretty low from the last coule of games, not just from the batting, but he hasn't been great in the slips either. <aybe it is time for someone to have a go. But who is there. Most of the openers in the runs this season are the usual quality county batsmen who regularly do well but have been tried and failed at international level, i.e. Sibley, Jennings, Burns, Vince, Lyth

20 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Agreed. Crawley clearly has talent, but we need someone much more obdurate as an opener and crawley doesnt fit that mould. I also think that his confidene will be pretty low from the last coule of games, not just from the batting, but he hasn't been great in the slips either. <aybe it is time for someone to have a go. But who is there. Most of the openers in the runs this season are the usual quality county batsmen who regularly do well but have been tried and failed at international level, i.e. Sibley, Jennings, Burns, Vince, Lyth

One I mentioned before we went for Lees was Haines at Sussex he’s continued to do well this season and was very good last year. Other than that at the minute it’s like you say going back to someone else - I wouldn’t be too upset if Jennings got another go though personally. Better opener than we have had recently 

Haines has been fairly consistent over the years and was in the Lions squad so I suspect he's in the thinking. A minor point but he's also got a lot of county championship captaincy experience which may be useful considering Stokes' injury record. 

I guess the other one that stands out is Compton. An 80 in the game against Gloucs and a FC ave of 89 after 29 innings is pretty impressive. He also scored a ton against the NZ side in their warm-up game too.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

One I mentioned before we went for Lees was Haines at Sussex he’s continued to do well this season and was very good last year. Other than that at the minute it’s like you say going back to someone else - I wouldn’t be too upset if Jennings got another go though personally. Better opener than we have had recently 

I would assume that Compton will be the next in line though the feeling I have is they’re going to give Crawley an extended run to see if he can play himself into form. Personally I just feel the fact he keeps getting out the same way suggests a weakness he needs to go away and work on rather than hope it fixes itself out in the middle.

Jennings not the worst shout. Will give him this he has always been a fine player of spin which will be handy looking ahead to the winter.

51 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

I would assume that Compton will be the next in line though the feeling I have is they’re going to give Crawley an extended run to see if he can play himself into form. Personally I just feel the fact he keeps getting out the same way suggests a weakness he needs to go away and work on rather than hope it fixes itself out in the middle.

Jennings not the worst shout. Will give him this he has always been a fine player of spin which will be handy looking ahead to the winter.

Yeah Compton another good one. I don’t mind Crawley but he just isn’t an opening batsman. He would be ok at 5/6 where the ball isn’t swinging but like you say at the minute he’s just getting out the same way and he isn’t able to fix it. Jennings although not brilliant I think is steady enough and like you say he’s excellent against spin. I’d expect Compton to be before him though and for me personally Haines. I follow Sussex and last couple of years he’s come on a long way 

I think I would give Crawley this next match and then make a decision on him. No pressure on the game, series won, has to hit something. I would put leach in that category but i just don’t rate him at all 

Archived