onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Stokes named England Captain

boslemportvale91

Advert

Root was absolutely brilliant. Having the weight of the captaincy taken off him could mean some of his best batting is still to come.

Well done to Ben Foakes too. Thought he played a really good innings and showed some decent technique. Will do wonders for his confidence with the bat as I think that was one of the question marks on him before bringing him into the team.

Well Root has won us that. Fantastic yet again, thought we bowled well though both innings but the same old problems are there for all to see. 4 of the top 5 aren’t up to it, Crawley i don’t mind but he just Dosent look an opening batsman to me. I’d love to see a couple of changes in the batting line up for the next game. Brook has to play. 

Brilliant innings once again by Root. This will prove to be the best thing to happen to him not being captain any more. Well done to Ollie Pope as well, great innings from him. If he could nail down that number 3 spot that would be a huge boost to England. Liked Stokes aggression during his innings, yes he got out on the boundary but I'd rather that than prodding around nervously and nicking off without troubling the scorers.

Think this test could well still see a positive result either way which given theres been over 1000 first innings runs scored so far just speaks to how quickly both teams have been scoring.

I'd prefer Pope batting at 5 and get somebody in at 3 who has batted there regularly throughout there career. Take bairstow out the side as he is a one day or 20 20 player. We all keep saying it Crawley isn't good enough be in the England test team. Need give that Compton some games as he is in really good form as an opener. I can't see brooks getting into the team at the moment unless we dropped foakes and had bairstow as wicketkeeper but is rather him play the shorter format.

Really good days cricket again. Helped a bit by some really poor cricket from NZ having two runouts. Think this is set up perfectly with all three results very possible.

Leach again has been very poor. I just don’t know what he brings as a spinner. He doesn’t spin it enough to threaten ripping through a batting order and his economy rate in this innings for example doesn’t really speak to even just having him as someone to hold up an end.

Anyone watching the run chase? It's probably unlikely but to have even given themselves a slight chance is some effort and with BS at the crease who knows! Next couple of hours could be thrilling (or if a wicket or two goes, deadly dull)...

Got the draw as marginal favourite but another hour of Stokes and Bairstow and might well be having a different conversation. Even if England lose from here I’m a huge fan of the way they’ve gone about this run chase with some aggressive intent which started with Lees. Much prefer this than Lords last year where they chickened out.

Crawley has to be in last chance saloon now though, think Compton really needs to come into consideration.

Always felt bairstow should play like this. He’s an outstanding white ball cricketer, batting at 5 he has the freedom to play like this and looks 10x the player than when he’s blocking - not sure why NZ keep bowling short to him though!  Only issue for me today is Crawley again. Lees looked excellent in both innings, shame he hasn’t got a century. Crawley and leech out next game I think. Hopefully stokes is fit as he looks like he’s struggling 

Archived