onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Stokes named England Captain

boslemportvale91

Advert

3 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Good choice in my opinion. Hopefully this will improve the team fortune after those terrible West Indies games 

I think it was the only choice really. I think he could be inspirational but I do wonder who would fill in if he gets injured? I guess I should just hope he's always 100% fit.

I read an interesting Cricinfo article on Director of Cricket Rob Key... it seems to suggest that he wants to have an aggressive top order. There were some quotes as follows:

"We accuse people of playing too many shots but as a batsman your only currency in the game is runs," he wrote. "For some reason, we seem to be happier if people are out blocking.

"I admire Trevor Bayliss because is a believer in positive cricket. His view is that it's possible to defend positively as well as attack. That means committing to the shots, having purpose. Is scoring 10 in a hundred balls all right? I don't know if it is.

"Often players get blamed for losing their wicket by using an attacking mindset, as if they never get out while playing defensively. When Jason Roy was opening in the Test team… pundits were saying there are no good old-fashioned openers anymore. The fact is, we had already tried ten openers, most of whom were exactly that."

It does sound like that could be it for the likes of Sibley, Lees etc. It may mean some more dramatic collapses too but that sort of aggressive approach hasn't done the Aussies too much harm over the years.

Don’t think there was any other option really. The only thing they will need to be careful with is his workload as he has been injured a fair bit in the last few years and also his mental health struggles. Might be the case he has to limit his white ball appearances as one example.

If he can use our fast bowlers better than Root did that would be a good start. I’m not saying it’s his fault the likes of Archer, Stone and Wood were all injured but the way he used to bowl them into the ground at times can’t have helped. Also hopefully they will go for the attacking option and have Matt Parkinson as first choice spinner now.

48 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Also hopefully they will go for the attacking option and have Matt Parkinson as first choice spinner now.

I'd hope that Parkinson and Mahmood are both in proper contention now. A fast bowler who (hopefully) stays fit and a spinner who can (hopefully) get wickets. 

The old 'uns are also among the wickets for their counties. Surely that weird idea of resting both Anderson and Broad will end under Key/Stokes. If they're good enough, it doesn't matter how old they are...

1 hour ago, robf said:

The old 'uns are also among the wickets for their counties. Surely that weird idea of resting both Anderson and Broad will end under Key/Stokes. If they're good enough, it doesn't matter how old they are...

I did read recently that one of the conditions Stokes put on the captaincy was Anderson and Broad returning. Whether they both play in the same team often again we’ll see. It baffles me still though they didn’t take at least one of them to the West Indies and instead went with Woakes who we know is ineffective abroad and Robinson who seemingly was never fit.

Lancs have left both Saqib and Parkinson out of their lineup today. Whether that’s on request by England I’m not sure but to me especially Parkinson you want him bowling as much as possible. Lancs gone with five seamers. I hate when teams do this as it totally disregards the second innings and is also an insight into the mindset you too often see in English cricket regards spin. If it’s a green pitch five seamers is overkill.

The only option to be captain really but seems like England just give it to the best player. Stokes features in all 3 formats for England so it's going be tough on him. 

Regarding the England test side I'd like them give a few new players a chance. Compton started the season well as an opener for Kent. Haines can open or come in at 3 and even bowls abit. Then abell at Somerset bats at 3 and has captain experience. Bowling wise Parkinson got play as a spinner and I'd be looking at giving Toby Roland Jones a few games.

9 hours ago, robf said:

I think it was the only choice really. I think he could be inspirational but I do wonder who would fill in if he gets injured? I guess I should just hope he's always 100% fit.

I read an interesting Cricinfo article on Director of Cricket Rob Key... it seems to suggest that he wants to have an aggressive top order. There were some quotes as follows:

"We accuse people of playing too many shots but as a batsman your only currency in the game is runs," he wrote. "For some reason, we seem to be happier if people are out blocking.

"I admire Trevor Bayliss because is a believer in positive cricket. His view is that it's possible to defend positively as well as attack. That means committing to the shots, having purpose. Is scoring 10 in a hundred balls all right? I don't know if it is.

"Often players get blamed for losing their wicket by using an attacking mindset, as if they never get out while playing defensively. When Jason Roy was opening in the Test team… pundits were saying there are no good old-fashioned openers anymore. The fact is, we had already tried ten openers, most of whom were exactly that."

It does sound like that could be it for the likes of Sibley, Lees etc. It may mean some more dramatic collapses too but that sort of aggressive approach hasn't done the Aussies too much harm over the years.

Ben Stokes was the obvious and only choice, bit of a poisoned chalice with the current group of players but in English conditions Anderson and Broad will hopefully prosper and Wood and Archer can get fit.

Who am I to argue with Trevor Bayliss but as a former opener/No 3 who made Geoff Boycott look rapid I'd say it's still true that you can't score runs when you're back in the pavillion and the longer you're out in the middle the easier batting gets but I must admit I wish I'd opened my shoulders much, much more when batting!!!

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

He was already carrying a heavy load, I personally think this will be too much for him unless he stops bowling. 

Josh Bohannon from Lancs must be in the frame for selection, averages nearly 50 in first class and is a good age at 25. 

Yep, I'm sure he's in the thoughts of the selectors. We do seem to have a fair few options in the middle order - Root, Stokes seem to be givens then there's Bairstow, Lawrence, Pope and perhaps Bohannon now. I'd personally love to see Liam Livingstone considered too. However, I do think the problem remains the openers. You do need to set a platform for the middle order but who is there?

Another poster mentioned Ben Compton but he's another slow accumulator - will he suit the new style? Hameed, Burns and Sibley seem to be out of the picture. Of the current incumbents, I guess Crawley has potential (and that's being generous but we're so short of options he seems the best in a small field) but who to partner him? Lees was yet another slow accumulator who didn't exactly impress - so who else is there? There's Haines, who has some captaincy experience but his FC ave is still only 36. There's Yates at Warwickshire but he's now batting at three. Most of the rest are either been tried and found wanting - Stoneman, Robson, Lyth and Jennings - or retired Cook. 

8 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

If we don't get shut of the old guard now we can look to 3 more years of regression. Anderson and Broad are yesterday's men,FFS look to a future and forget old player's egos.

It is up to younger players to force them out. I don`t see anyone ready to do that just yet.

Of the current Test squad, Root apart, the only possible choice as captain is Ben Stokes.  However, apart from short stints taking the reigns when Joe Root was unavailable/off the field, he is untried as a regular captain.  This says more about the dearth of choice than it does about Ben Stokes.

Having said that, I sincerely hope that Ben can bring his never-say-die attitude to the role and I wish him well in the upcoming summer series'.

Anyone saying get rid of Anderson & Broad is nuts. Sure, manage their workload if you need to, but don't install a new captain, then chop him off at the knees by giving him a bowling attack with no experience, and no-one to offer a sounding board to for opinion.

Stokes needs to be able to embrace that x-factor role that he has now in my opinion - bat 6, bowl enough to impact when required, but not too much, and not try to do too much. That will give him the headspace to be able to cope with the rigours of being the captain.

Try and make him do too much and he'll be ruined, and out altogether in 18 months. 

11 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

If we don't get shut of the old guard now we can look to 3 more years of regression. Anderson and Broad are yesterday's men,FFS look to a future and forget old player's egos.

I think they are only yesterday's men when they can't offer anything to the team. At the moment, their recent form in Tests has been better than any of their younger rivals so it's only right they are in contention.

I agree with some posters that it may be right to manage their workload but it's up to the younger players to prove they are a better option than the old guard. On the evidence of the Windies tour, no-one did. 

Archived