onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

1 minute ago, tommytunstall said:

One area that we could greatly improve on next season is the recruitment of loan players.  If we discount Lloyd that leaves Edmundson, Harratt, Holy and Cooper, none of them regulars, none of them tearing trees up. If you compare them to Azaz from Villa on loan to Newport, Bristol Rovers have Anderson from Newcastle and the CH from Stoke. These are loan players who shine week in week out, and the three mentioned are all potential Matchwinners. Room for improvement Flitters.

Loaning young players is total pot luck in my view.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t do it rather these players are still very much learning their trade, at the same time as developing physically.  They come in from U23’s where there are lots of extremely talented individuals, but it can go either way once they’re thrown in at the deep end.  I’d say Bristol and Newport have been lucky with those players mentioned.  In our case, both Harratt and Edmonson have shown flashes but not consistently enough sadly.

Advert

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

The most disappointing thing about today is the lack of reaction from our players when we go a goal down. No reaction at all to the opener, players walking around not closing down, no fight, grit or determination to get a foothold into the game and start playing.

It has basically taken a bollocking at halftime when the players were sent out very very early to get going for short spell until they conceded, again with no reaction. Where is the charecter? Can you imagine Bristol Rovers, Exteter, Mansfield or Northampton doing that? No me neither. Our lot just felt sorry for ourselves.

We have now lost 3 on spin, 2 against teams with absolutely <ovf censored> all to play for and they have shown more spirit, desire,aggression and have out worked us. <ovf censored> SHAMEFUL.

If we do make the playoffs I really don't see how we will progress any further.

The matrix needs to review its personality of people preference. I want to see a horrible bastard in the defence and midfield next season, someone who is going to smash people and dig players out when they go hiding.

We are a mentally weak team, without no No.1 GK, We don't have a player who can dribble and beat a man from midfield to make things happen and desperately lack pace. These areas will need to be addressed if we want to  finish higher than 8th!!!

Some big calls will be need in the summer to REFRESH this squad.

We Deffo need a bit of a Coutts type

How many times have wingers crossed the ball along the floor, it’s rolled past literally all the defenders and been smacked in at the back post? It seems like every other goal. We can’t defend crosses at all and have 1 decent, dependable defender. Cass was better than Smith and more flexible. Him, Hall and another ball-winning centre-half, with Smith, Walker, and Robinson (as development) as back-ups. <ovf censored> off Martin, Jones, Benning elsewhere. New wingbacks with Hussey and Worrall as back ups. Gibbo as a pay as you play if there’s any money left.

11 minutes ago, 1 said:

Conlon has never and never will be fit for a whole season, and neither will any of Walker, Gibbo, Wilson or Proctor. Not one of them. Someone save this post and rub it in my face if ANY of them play 40+ next season. The “class but made of glass” concept will never work with that many players.

Apart from last season when Conlon made 48 appearances and scored 10 goals?

2 minutes ago, Mario said:

3 very poor performances on the bounce how come Taylor never got a chance?
Crosby needs to change it next week this team has had it's chances and they have come up well short

Taylor is crap. The concept of him being a ‘creative player’ is based on his loan days yonks ago. He’s lightweight, can’t tackle, cost us against Bristol and is not football league quality, like his partner in crime at the time Burgess, though at least he had the self-respect to pay up and leave.

16 minutes ago, Dangermouse3 said:

Would agree Ray that we lack pace throughout the side. Would say we lack it throughout the squad. Some of our more pacy players seem to lack confidence to beat a man? Are we less brave than we should be? Are we to conservative in our play? Conlon and Walker huge misses at the moment.

If nothing else we miss Conlon for his dead ball skills.  Nobody else in our squad comes even remotely close.  The guy is deadly.

The timing of the Walker injury couldn’t have been worse.  He’d had those few games at CH then forced his way into midfield and was playing really well.  The blend of Walker, Charsley and Garrity seemed a good one, then all ripped up again.

I cannot believe a team like ours who have shown belief and won many a game from behind have when supporters have turned up in numbers put in displays that lack all of what put them  in the strong position in the first place .

There second goal not one player trying break there necks block it although if Stone caught the ball instead of knocking it out for a corner they never would have had opportunity score in the first place .

It was all so sloppy and it has been  happening for weeks Oldham generally were better than us .

Crowd turn up the  the players do not .

Embarrassed  

It's OK go enjoy your break the fans have to live with what you have done .

Idiots 

11 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Exactly 

Charlsey was having a decent game why take him off 🤷‍♂️
If he does the same at Exeter it will be 4-0 

The subs were poor and made us worse.Charlsey was awful 1st half but was beginning to be a driving force when we got on top. I thought it was a bizarre decision as well.

Thats the criticism of AC for me and not just today, he has not made a sub to impact the game when needed.

The process has largely been ok.  If you turn over that many players you need a bit of luck with the recruitment.  Could we have better players? Maybe, but many could’ve turned out worse.  I still think injuries, and the timing of them, have been the single the biggest factor.
If I have a problem with the process it’s that we needed at least one more “recognised” striker from day one.  I’d also say overall we’re a bit slow and too “nice”.
The injury numbers this season needs to be addressed. What on Earth has happened? We've lost so many players throughout the season.

Clarke was very critical of our injury record under Askey, yet this season has been far far worse.

25 minutes ago, MBE said:

The most disappointing thing about today is the lack of reaction from our players when we go a goal down. No reaction at all to the opener, players walking around not closing down, no fight, grit or determination to get a foothold into the game and start playing.

It has basically taken a bollocking at halftime when the players were sent out very very early to get going for short spell until they conceded, again with no reaction. Where is the charecter? Can you imagine Bristol Rovers, Exteter, Mansfield or Northampton doing that? No me neither. Our lot just felt sorry for ourselves.

We have now lost 3 on spin, 2 against teams with absolutely <ovf censored> all to play for and they have shown more spirit, desire,aggression and have out worked us. <ovf censored> SHAMEFUL.

If we do make the playoffs I really don't see how we will progress any further.

The matrix needs to review its personality of people preference. I want to see a horrible bastard in the defence and midfield next season, someone who is going to smash people and dig players out when they go hiding.

We are a mentally weak team, without no No.1 GK, We don't have a player who can dribble and beat a man from midfield to make things happen and desperately lack pace. These areas will need to be addressed if we want to  finish higher than 8th!!!

Some big calls will be need in the summer to REFRESH this squad.

Exactly this.

There was no rock to take charge.

Hussey with his experience should be a natural candidate for that role. Nothing. I hoped Gibbo would spur them on as he is that character but he didn't play for long enough. Should have started.

I really like Andy Crosby. Seems a top bloke. Put to persist with the same <ovf censored> 'plan' as at Walsall was utterly woeful.

9 minutes ago, 1 said:

Taylor is crap. The concept of him being a ‘creative player’ is based on his loan days yonks ago. He’s lightweight, can’t tackle, cost us against Bristol and is not football league quality, like his partner in crime at the time Burgess, though at least he had the self-respect to pay up and leave.

Don’t agree with this…..apart from the Bristol goal bit.

He’d have been a like for like replacement rather than an ad hoc throw of the dice square peg in a round hole.

6 minutes ago, MBE said:

The subs were poor and made us worse.Charlsey was awful 1st half but was beginning to be a driving force when we got on top. I thought it was a bizarre decision as well.

Thats the criticism of AC for me and not just today, he has not made a sub to impact the game when needed.

The problem for me regarding the subs is that we have nothing to bring on, what we have on the bench is limited, Taylor 3 years ago fair enough but not now, Amoo not good enough, 2 young strikers who are finding their way but not the answer, the issue is that once Politic left in January, we replaced him with Cooper and that signing was not good enough, we literally have nothing that we can do off the bench to change it.  We could change formation but personnel from the bench for me weakens the team apart from Gibbo.

25 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Makes you wonder how the season would have gone if we kept hold of politic. Think we've lacked a genuine potential game changer since he left. Our team must be so easy to scout as it's so obvious the formation we are going to play and who will be playing.

I think the squad has a pretty solid core, but as others have said a bit of pace and stardust would take it further. Obviously on that note such a loss to be without conlon.

Cremonese. 18 games. Played 14 minutes. Get him back. At least he runs at the defence unlike this utter shower tepidly passing it sideways 2 or 3 times before it gets rolled back to Stone. At one point in the first half we were so deep even our number <ovf censored> 9 was forced to play a backpass to the keeper. I could have screamed.

Archived