• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Joe, after the Colchester game you’d given up on the season and wrote 

“Can’t be bothered, I’m sick of getting it right every season. Keeps happening. I predict it will go wrong, I get stick, and then it goes wrong.”

Try being more positive, predict it won’t go wrong for a change and you never know!!  You sound like the soothsayer in “Up Pompei” - woe, woe and thrice woe!!

He may of wrote that then Jean, but turns out he would of been right though !

• Like 2

Advert:

4 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Well said mate. Tbf I used to get wound up over football until the suicide of my parents. I know this sounds hard, however in a way it was the best thing that ever happened to me, as it makes you realise life is to be enjoyed.

Do I love Vale and want success, of course I do. I also understand fans getting a bit frustrated, however it's a bloody game for gods sake and not something you allow to ruin your weekend. Its part of the Sport we enjoy, you get up and downs. Let's enjoy the ride instead of being miserable buggers over something we can't alter.

Sorry for your loss mate. I agree - we need to enjoy life more. Difficult sometimes when things go wrong, but we have to move on.

12 hours ago, JSValiant said:

One of the Highest Budgets in the league and you say no one expected Play Offs.

Swindon only had about 4 players the week before the season started and they have done as well as us.

Even Carol said we won’t finish 8th ?

The club is in a lot better position than for many years but you can understand the fans disappointment at the last 3 performances combined with the results.

We have been in League 2 a lot longer than Forest Green.

Regarding the recruitment other than Cass, when have Vale made any Decent Loan Signings Not since Tyler Walker.

The last time we brought in 15 players was when we were being managed by the Portuguese waiter and look where that ended. I hoped for a top half finish with play-offs being a bonus.

I do understand the disappointment with this sudden capitulation but it doesn’t detract from this season being a breath of fresh air compared to the recent years. Give the current owners and management time and they will prosper.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jeffers said:

The last time we brought in 15 players was when we were being managed by the Portuguese waiter and look where that ended. I hoped for a top half finish with play-offs being a bonus.

I do understand the disappointment with this sudden capitulation but it doesn’t detract from this season being a breath of fresh air compared to the recent years. Give the current owners and management time and they will prosper.

Spot on 

I was gutted last night and I've been a Vale fan for years! 

It's the first time I've attended regularly since we were relegated and in the main we've played some good footie,been a bit unlucky with injuries plus no other club has had the off field tragedy that Darrell Clarke has had.

It's a shame our bad run came at the end and it's similar to FGR except they had points in the bag.

The squad isn't that bad otherwise we wouldn't have won as many as we have...up till game 42 we had only lost 9. 

Top 10 was as good as I thought we would be this season. Dust ourselves down,look at the contractual situations...move some on,get some in...Lewis Cass would be a good signing IMO

• Like 3

The season isn't 4 games long, it's 46 games.

We will look back at losing our last 4 games as a big chance missed, but over the course of the season we've thrown too many games away where we should/could have picked up more points.

• Like 4

Advert:

I have bought a season ticket. We will likely get to play Crewe, Stockport and Wrexham. There are a few derbies / near derbies there if we don't go up. 

Got literally no pace in the team. Must be easy to defend against when you go a goal up. No one can run in behind and everything is played infront of you. Trust the process. Can't believe we actually paid money for Hussey.

• Like 1

I don't think if DC had been in charge for the whole season we'd be in a better position than we are now. Crosby's have been good on average and the same injuries, formation, lack of width, etc. would still be issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Sorry mate, Keep the Faith and Up the Vale!

Will that do?

and trust the process.

15 hours ago, Emile said:

No, a clearout is not needed. We need a few players for sure and we will get them. We improved the squad in January but not by enough 

I think we have really gone for it this season in January, looking to make immediate tweaks to carry us through adversity. But the problem with that is if it doesn't end up working we have paid money for players like HC and CH who will be here next season too who are not up to it, probably on good wages. Plugging the gaps hasn't worked, as they haven't deputised for the injured players, they've just cost us the chance of recruiting fully and properly in the summer. Obviously Hall was a fantastic bit of business, so I would advocate that even if we were dead in the water for the season, but the others are panic plugs to keep the wheels on when hit with injury after injury.

Advert:

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

I think we have really gone for it this season in January, looking to make immediate tweaks to carry us through adversity. But the problem with that is if it doesn't end up working we have paid money for players like HC and CH who will be here next season too who are not up to it, probably on good wages. Plugging the gaps hasn't worked, as they haven't deputised for the injured players, they've just cost us the chance of recruiting fully and properly in the summer. Obviously Hall was a fantastic bit of business, so I would advocate that even if we were dead in the water for the season, but the others are panic plugs to keep the wheels on when hit with injury after injury.

Signed a load of <ovf censored> in January 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Got literally no pace in the team. Must be easy to defend against when you go a goal up. No one can run in behind and everything is played infront of you. Trust the process. Can't believe we actually paid money for Hussey.

The team needs another overhaul, Worrall looks worn out, Hussey isn’t good enough, Gibbons is too injury prone, Jones is always out of position: we need a quick forward up front: I have supported the Vale for nearly60 years, it’s still my club and I will be there next season but at least it’s ours to cherish not defunct as it would have been under Norman:  just saying 

9 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

The team needs another overhaul, Worrall looks worn out, Hussey isn’t good enough, Gibbons is too injury prone, Jones is always out of position: we need a quick forward up front: I have supported the Vale for nearly60 years, it’s still my club and I will be there next season but at least it’s ours to cherish not defunct as it would have been under Norman:  just saying 

Worrall has been carrying an injury for weeks. In one of the RS interviews AC let slip that he's been getting regular injections in his hip.

I agree that we need forwards who can find the net a bit more often. Thing is, if you build play round them like Swindon have done with McKirdy, you suffer big time if they get injured. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Worrall has been carrying an injury for weeks. In one of the RS interviews AC let slip that he's been getting regular injections in his hip.

I agree that we need forwards who can find the net a bit more often. Thing is, if you build play round them like Swindon have done with McKirdy, you suffer big time if they get injured. 

I am fully aware of that, I was only talking to part of the physiotherapy team the other day but he isn’t a right back and tge pressure on him to deliver as a forward is reduced as is his impact is reduced and I am medically based and fully understand the consequences of overworking him biomechanilly as that is my professional job

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Worrall’s injury is a chronic one he’s been managing for years. I think it may have finally caught up with him. 

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1

Advert:

I would have taken this position at the start of the season. Disappointed no doubt but keeping faith.

Will be watching the stream from the middle east on holiday and hoping for a miracle! 

8 minutes ago, Santa said:

Worrall’s injury is a chronic one he’s been managing for years. I think it may have finally caught up with him. 

100% agree. He has given his all and being an absolute warrior for us, clearly pushed himself to play through injuries when a lot of players would have sat on the sidelines. He does it because he's a true professional and we had no other fit players in that position. I feel for him, I really do. Watching him close up yesterday he clearly has restricted movement in his right hip.

I think its failing by the club in the 2nd part of this season. We have had no plan B or C. What to do when our WB's are playing poorly or we don't have a fully fit one to play in the position.

We got away with it for a few games but eventually it will catch up with you.

• Like 3

If anything he needed less defensive responsibilities not more. But it's been said a million times, everyone who has watched Woz over the years knows his strengths and weaknesses, and he doesn't fit the system. He would have got a higher goals and assists combined tally than Garrity in that position. oh well it'll never change so conceding at the back post and no crosses into the box it is until the summer.

• Like 2