• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

2 hours ago, osprey said:

But with needing 2 wins from 4 games, in a great run of form at the time - just for once Vale in all the years I have supported you - could you just not cock it up as you usually do ?

This is why I was so wound up post-match.

If we were a successful club who does things that makes the fans happy, then fine, yeah, whatever, we move on, go again, ktf, be kind etc etc.

It's all so predictably 21st century Port Vale though - that's the kick in the teeth. We've managed to chuck away promotion on a platter, not through bad luck but through putrid performances.

Some fans seem resigned to this being us - you just simply have to accept that Port Vale provides minimal happiness and maximum disappointment. 

I see Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Accrington, Forest Green, and think 'why can't that be us?'.

• Like 8

Advert:

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Garbage. Garrity was immense at Salford and Bradford away and played well against Sutton at home.

Oldham?

Hartlepool?

Bristol?

Walsall?

He’s been anonymous for weeks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This is why I was so wound up post-match.

If we were a successful club who does things that makes the fans happy, then fine, yeah, whatever, we move on, go again, ktf, be kind etc etc.

It's all so predictably 21st century Port Vale though - that's the kick in the teeth. We've managed to chuck away promotion on a platter, not through bad luck but through putrid performances.

Some fans seem resigned to this being us - you just simply have to accept that Port Vale provides minimal happiness and maximum disappointment. 

I see Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Accrington, Forest Green, and think 'why can't that be us?'.

I’m resigned to that being us. Nothing I’ve seen in my life makes me think otherwise. Vale is a life of disappointment. Thanks to my Dad for that.

• Haha 1

Advert:

Just now, Powerline said:

Never gonna happen. We’d have to rely on 3 other teams and also beat Exeter.

Yes, we will need to beat Exeter. They're a good side at this level, but most definitely far from an impossible task. We can secure a play off place and still have a slight outside chance of automatic.

• Like 1

Just now, Warren said:

Yes, we will need to beat Exeter. They're a good side at this level, but most definitely far from an impossible task. We can secure a play off place and still have a slight outside chance of automatic.

I admire your positivity but just can’t see it myself. Wouldn’t be surprised if we drop out the playoffs since Sutton only have Harrogate.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I do agree with people on reflection that it seems odd that Covalan gets frozen out for two dire errors, yet there are guys who have been dire for months getting into the starting 11. 

Crosby isn’t a great manager and I feel  had Clarke not been hit by such tragedy, we would have been over the line. He has overseen too many utterly ineffectual performances. Yes, when he gets it right we look good, but when it is bad, there is no plan B. 

We also have a squad full of too many “nice boys”. James Wilson undoubtedly has skill, but he was so intimidated by a rough Newport team who gave our players some right grief. Worrall was effectively kicked and dragged off the pitch at one stage. 

TJH, I agree with you about AC, but when he was brought to assist DC fans were saying how fantastic he was and that the upturn in our form was down to AC. 

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

'why can't that be us?'.

about 70 other clubs also say the same - we are no different - unless you are one of the elite, all football will be more low than high - its the hope that keeps us hoping 😍😍

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

FWIW after the last 2 performances I would have started gibbo just to give us a lift in terms of someone who can get the team and crowd going, even if he was only good for an hour. I don’t think we were ever going to get that with hussey and Benning down the left. Given the hall injury maybe we could have surprised them and gone 4 at the back even, we could have been more comfortable that way than trying to shoehorn hussey into the left centre half position. Frankly he had a poor game there. We got overrun in midfield too easily at times and offered very little in that first half. Second half when we upped the intensity it was much better, hindsight is great but I feel we missed a trick in not making positive changes from the start, by that I mean both wingbacks have been poor in this run and really only bringing in hussey didn’t change anything in terms of our performance level or intensity. So disappointing.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

Advert:

4 hours ago, osprey said:

You are assuming Smith actually manages to get it to Worrall- it’s a toss up whether he will 

Losing Cass was the worst that could have happened to us.

It put Smith in his position.

Smith or Hall as center back end of. The other as back up.

1 minute ago, PortVale4Life said:

Oldham?

Hartlepool?

Bristol?

Walsall?

He’s been anonymous for weeks

As somebody rightly said on Radio Joke, we pay a high price for Garrity’s goals. Especially when you saw the ease with which Newport, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Rochdale (to name but a few examples) have sliced through our midfield. 

The new Louis Dodds?? You want him in the team, just don’t know where??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

He is Garbage as right back.

A good center back and that is where he should play

Good job he was playing centre half today then wasn’t it

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

FWIW after the last 2 performances I would have started gibbo just to give us a lift in terms of someone who can get the team and crowd going, even if he was only good fan an hour. I don’t think we were ever going to get that with hussey and Benning down the left. Given the hall injury maybe we could have surprised them and gone 4 at the back even, we could have been more comfortable that way than trying to shoehorn hussey into the left centre half position. Frankly he had a poor game there. We got overrun in midfield too easily at times and offered very little in that first half. Second half when we upped the intensity it was much better, hindsight is great but I feel we missed a trick in not making positive changes from the start, by that I mean both wingbacks have been poor in this run and really only bringing in hussey didn’t change anything in terms of our performance level or intensity. So disappointing.

I thought Hussey did OK first half. He was up against some power down their right and won a fair share of headers. Going forward he is very left footed and so careful with the ball it all can go slow and become a cul-de-sac. But instead of shifting the ball quickly through midfield to the right we shifted it to midfield and backwards. Meanwhile we didn't get enough people in the box. I can't say about his second half because I am watching him from 70 yards away. 

Advert:

Posted (edited)

I'm 25. Been going since I was 4-5. 21 seasons.

I've seen:

• 1 promotion (only top 6 finish in 30 years)
  • A goal in a defeat against Spurs
  • A goal in a heavy defeat against Man City
  • A PaintPot Trophy Victory against Stoke U18s or whatever it was

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • 3 dodgy owners (if Ryder is included)
  • 2 painful near misses (04/05 Swindon/Hartlepool fiasco + COVID 8th place)
  • Stoke in Europe, FA Cup Final, decade in the Prem
  • 3 relegation battles into non-league
  • Joint-lowest finish in club's history
  • Probable longest stay in the bottom tier since since 1946-54
  • Defeats to Chasetown + Kings Lynn
  • This bottle

For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious. I keep being told 'next year', and then something bad happens in the 'next year'. I've been 'getting behind the lads' for 20 years now from Carlisle to Torquay, when will it start to work it's magic?

I'm a cynical/pessimistic/miserable Vale fan because of all of the above, and today feels like a predictably natural continuation. 'Not being Oldham' isn't really a consolation when Bournemouth are in the Premier League, tbh.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 6

I think we’re nailed on for 3rd. Gibbo played 5 great minutes and did that flying header, Stone caught a few crosses and Harratt has grown a fierce goatee while sitting on the bench. Rovers and Mansfield are so red hot that it’s likely they’ll come to a stiff, icy period right at crunch time and flop against teams playing for nothing. Northampton have got to go to the iron curtain of Barrow, who have let in less than 3 in multiple games now. Plus they’ll be roared on by a formidable crowd in the high hundreds. Meanwhile, Hussey really settled into the back 3 as the game went on - the last few crosses stayed on the pitch and given more balls into his feet he could have knocked some into the box eventually. Just keep the same team from the last 3, it’s bound to come good soon and we’re showing green shoots of confidence. Exeter must be knackered after celebrating all those goals and jogging back to the centre circle to kick off again every 2 seconds. That’s bound to take it’s toll and we’ll be right there to capitalise. Sell out crowd again, which we know stirs something within the players and gets the best out of them. The playoffs is absolutely guaranteed and top 3 should be sealed without too much fuss on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'm 25. Been going since I was 4-5. 21 seasons.

I've seen:

• 1 promotion (only top 6 finish in 30 years)
  • A goal in a defeat against Spurs
  • A goal in a heavy defeat against Man City
  • A PaintPot Trophy Victory against Stoke U18s or whatever it was

And:

• 2 relegations
  • 2 adminstrations
  • 2 protest movements
  • 3 dodgy owners (if Ryder is included)
  • 2 painful near misses (04/05 Swindon/Hartlepool fiasco + COVID 8th place)
  • Stoke in Europe, FA Cup Final, decade in the Prem
  • 3 relegation battles into non-league
  • Joint-lowest finish in club's history
  • Probable longest stay in the bottom tier since since 1946-54
  • Defeats to Chasetown + Kings Lynn
  • This bottle

For all those saying 'roll with the highs and lows' please tell me when the highs will begin? It's getting a bit tedious.

I'm a cynical/pessimistic/miserable Vale fan because of all of the above, and today feels like a predictably natural continuation. 'Not being Oldham' isn't really a consolation when Bournemouth are in the Premier League, tbh.

I’m 23 so basically the exact same. Sick of it.