Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County


Recommended Posts

Advert:


This might be a wild comparison but this vale team kind of remind me of the england team at the Russia world cup.

I remember being filled with joy at that england team, they did better than expected, but folded when it counts. Also the 3-5-2, difficulty breaking down teams, try to play a pressing game, ocassionally akward in possesion etc...

Anyway despite all that I still have faith. We seem to be a streaky team. We go on runs of winning or losing. It might suit us being even more of an underdog at exeter. We seem to be better when we expect nothing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, osprey said:

Certainly were

They drove forward with purpose, moved the ball quickly. Vale didn’t 

 

Apart from that short period in the second half, spot-on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


33 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Right im off to watch the Split - I love me a bit of Nicola Walker - is she Brads sister?

No,Wayne's. She's where quality and value meet!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about the game a bit more and I still feel utterly depressed. In my entire life of watching Vale, which is over 20 years, I’ve seen one promotion. I’m sick of being a laughing stock.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Thought about the game a bit more and I still feel utterly depressed. In my entire life of watching Vale, which is over 20 years, I’ve seen one promotion. I’m sick of being a laughing stock.

I'm 36. My first game was in 93/94 so I was a bit young to really enjoy/understand the promotion when we won at Brighton on the last day.

In 27 years since I've seen...

Couple of cup runs in the early days, few wins against Stoke over 20 years back & 1 x promotion. Never even seen us in the playoffs. It's absolutely shocking really ain't it. Talk about starved. If we miss out on the playoffs next week it will be a massive kick in the teeth for all Vale fans, but specifically those of my generation, who have been deprived of any real success in going on for 30 years.

There's a very real chance we now lose our last 4 games of the season following on from winning 9 from 10. From our last 4 x games, 1 point would've seen us in the playoffs & 6 would've probably seen us up automatically. It's truly incredible stuff. I'd love to say you couldn't script it, but with the Vale, you can. The only club who could do something so ridiculous. We're a laughing stock.

Edited by ValeForever.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only two teams have done the double over us 

Newport and Walsall 

Neither are anywhere near the playoffs so it kinds of sums up the What If end to the season 

I do think we've made progress and am bitterly disappointed but life goes on 

I never ever boo my team but I left at the end.

No lap of honour applause following that performance 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Only two teams have done the double over us 

Newport and Walsall 

Neither are anywhere near the playoffs so it kinds of sums up the What If end to the season 

I do think we've made progress and am bitterly disappointed but life goes on 

I never ever boo my team but I left at the end.

No lap of honour applause following that performance 

I was the same I’ll never boo my team like some of the <ovf censored> that we’re there  but I left aswell if I had known carol was going walk round I would of stayed 

Edited by Packmoor_vale
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I'm 36. My first game was in 93/94 so I was a bit young to really enjoy/understand the promotion when we won at Brighton on the last day.

In 27 years since I've seen...

Couple of cup runs in the early days, few wins against Stoke over 20 years back & 1 x promotion. Never even seen us in the playoffs. It's absolutely shocking really ain't it. Talk about starved. If we miss out on the playoffs next week it will be a massive kick in the teeth for all Vale fans, but specifically those of my generation, who have been deprived of any real success in going on for 30 years.

There's a very real chance we now lose our last 4 games of the season following on from winning 9 from 10. From our last 4 x games, 1 point would've seen us in the playoffs & 6 would've probably seen us up automatically. It's truly incredible stuff. I'd love to say you couldn't script it, but with the Vale, you can. The only club who could do something so ridiculous. We're a laughing stock.

Remember the same happened last year. From nowhere we had an upturn in form and won like 8 on the spin and a. Unlikely shot at the play-offs before a similar collapse in form (I recall Mansfield spanked us good and proper at home) cost us. Seems a bit of a trend.

Also, nothing to do with today but it occurred to me after last week, DC’s record against his former clubs has been, let’s say, patchy.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I thought the players all tried their best today but we were 2nd best throughout. I thought the team looked physically second best from the start and we seem to have really run out of steam. But tactically as well, In the first half we had 2 shots and none on target. They had 6 shots with 4 on target. No  matter we had significantly more of the ball we were not tactically doing the right things. I did lose it because it is no good playing square and back and nor is it any good seeing the target men / forwards drop deep and out wide so that we usually had no one in the box to cross and pass to. Second half started better and showed how it could be done for 20 minutes. After they scored again against the run of play we petered out as they managed the game well and our subs made no difference. 

I am concerned with Worrall. The team was very left sided today and therefore very predictable. We Smith and Worrall trying to make an impact down the right but Smith is a defender of win it give it short type. So Worrall, who I think is well below match fitness, is trying to take on the opposition from too deep a position and its an uphill struggle. In midfield we have the wrong mix and can't do much about it. We need Walker back or equivalent who is block tackler and not a runner / harrier.

If we keep doing the same we will get the same result. We must win at Exeter next week and regroup for the playoffs. But if we don't succeed then we have moved forward as a club and should be able to organise for a better challenge next year. Not too far away.

Just do your best team. That's all we can ask for.  

Edited by Warren
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

We're a laughing stock.

yes, but we are our laughing stock - that's all that matters - we are VTID - be proud, iv been an underachiever all my life, cant really call the team I love for being the same 😍😍😍😍😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


2 hours ago, toyahw said:

Funny that he won player of the season when we were in .... L1

 

In a season in which we were relegated, and in which half of the players were of genuine foreign league standard - most of which don't play professional football anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I'm 36. My first game was in 93/94 so I was a bit young to really enjoy/understand the promotion when we won at Brighton on the last day.

In 27 years since I've seen...

Couple of cup runs in the early days, few wins against Stoke over 20 years back & 1 x promotion. Never even seen us in the playoffs. It's absolutely shocking really ain't it. Talk about starved. If we miss out on the playoffs next week it will be a massive kick in the teeth for all Vale fans, but specifically those of my generation, who have been deprived of any real success in going on for 30 years.

There's a very real chance we now lose our last 4 games of the season following on from winning 9 from 10. From our last 4 x games, 1 point would've seen us in the playoffs & 6 would've probably seen us up automatically. It's truly incredible stuff. I'd love to say you couldn't script it, but with the Vale, you can. The only club who could do something so ridiculous. We're a laughing stock.

The sad thing is it’s predicable Vale as you say. I’ve a friend who’s a Lincoln fan who I was talking to after Walsall and he couldn’t believe it when I said I’ve only seen one promotion in my life. He said you’ll go up easy. I said it’s Vale it’s never easy. Yet again they let me down.

Edited by Powerline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

The sad thing is it’s predicable Vale as you say. I’ve a friend who’s a Lincoln fan who I was talking to after Walsall and he couldn’t believe it when I said I’ve only seen one promotion in my life. He said you’ll go up easy. I said it’s Vale it’s never easy. Yet again they let me down.

Not yet. Still got a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...