Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

10 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Smithy is a decent League 2 centre half but no way is he good enough for League 1,

Funny that he won player of the season when we were in .... L1

• Like 1

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Old fort said:

How could  those responsible get the next three games so wrong?  Abject failure by all concerned, in front of amazing support. No excuses!

Exactly a Totally Bottle Job.

I have supported Vale for nearly 60 years and I don’t think I have ever felt so annoyed and disappointed.

The only time the club has ever amounted to anything was during the Rudge Era, apart from that, not a lot, then we have a chance to get out of this League 2 and we throw it away. 
A lot of fans praise the set up at Vale with the Director of Football etc but the Facts are Sutton United with ex Vale Rejects like Richie Bennett and Donavan Wilson have had a Better Season than us.

Swindon managed to get Harry Mckirdy to score 15 or so goals.

The facts are there and were Mansfield Fans wrong about Flitcroft ?
League2 will be a lot tougher next season and I certainly wouldn’t put a lot of money on Vale for Promotion!

• Like 2

I have supported Vale for nearly 60 years and I don’t think I have ever felt so annoyed and disappointed.
The only time the club has ever amounted to anything was during the Rudge Era, apart from that, not a lot, then we have a chance to get out of this League 2 and we throw it away. 
A lot of fans praise the set up at Vale with the Director of Football etc but the Facts are Sutton United with ex Vale Rejects like Richie Bennett and Donavan Wilson have had a Better Season than us.
League2 will be a lot tougher next season and I certainly wouldn’t put a lot of money on Vale for Promotion!

I can't see how the blame can be levelled at Flitcroft here. There's been a few misses but i would say 80% of the signings have been hits.
  • Like 2

A few points to note:

1. I didnt think the players seemed to down at the final whistle. They seemed pretty care-free in fact. 

2. This seems very minor, but also very telling of attitudes... the drill the players do before the second half with some cones on the touchline; a handful didnt do it properly. If they can't be arsed to do a three second drill properly, when it's obviously done with a purpose, you have to question their current passion. 

Something has changed in the last few weeks. 

• Confused 1

Advert:

Also, both Sutton and Swindon have DoF's
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Putting aside the fact we haven’t gone up automatically yet…… we’re going into the last game of the season with the chance to either finish in the play offs or go up automatically and people are moaning about Flitcroft and Smith as being the issues. Just another case of the post match lashing at someone to blame.

To top it off we get the body language experts on telling us that the players looked like they didn’t care at the end and they weren’t doing warm ups properly. Complete rubbish. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's a bit Occam's razor at the end of the day. Players not playing well and since Walker got crocked too light weight in midfield.  Loss of confidence. On pitch bickering, never a good look.

Edited by toyahw

Well today we played like a damp squib. We didn't seem defensively organised and lacked some controlled aggression. Couldn't pass for toffee and they gave us a lesson in picking out front men and finding space.

Not going to dig out any players tonight but I counted that at least six gave below their average performance for the season. You can't win games when that happens. 
To get where we are is pleasing as my predictions for the season were Mansfield, Northampton, Bristol Rovers, Walsall and Vale 5th. But what gnaws is where we were after the Hartlepool game and how it has panned out.

At the end of the game, I had to turn off the tv and when outside to dig in the garden to relieve me of my frustrations !

My son rang me tonight and has two tickets for Exeter as his mate is so deflated and now won't go. Wifey and I will be there on Saturday, cheering on the team I love regardless that I am feeling down in the dumps tonight. 
Matt Taylor the Exeter manager was at today's game and he now has watched Vale live twice recently. To win at Exeter I feel we need to do something different. Formation and personnel change. 

VTID

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Funny that he won player of the season when we were in .... L1

He won our player of the season in a team that went down, I very much doubt that we have turned down offers from League 1 teams throughout the 5 years of been down at League 2.  I like Smith but not in that position we play him in and don't feel he is better than this league.

Advert:

I'm not pointing the finger at any player in particular its a collective balls up .

Good job there's more important things in life than a bag of wind .

If we finish out the top 7 which looks likely now would people say we have had a good season .

I'll Start No 

Not at all it's another league 2 campaign with awayteamsbringing 318 and beating us .

Jokers 

Ok calmed down a bit now 

I get the idea that we shouldn’t criticise too much, it’s been a difficult season with injuries and the DC situation etc The club is finally being well run with owners that care 

But with needing 2 wins from 4 games, in a great run of form at the time - just for once Vale in all the years I have supported you - could you just not cock it up as you usually do ? 

doesn’t seem to matter who plays for us, which season it is - always make it difficult 

oh well- let’s see what next Saturday brings 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:
4 minutes ago, JSValiant said:

I can't see how the blame can be levelled at Flitcroft here. There's been a few misses but i would say 80% of the signings have been hits.

3 Poor Goalkeepers to start with. Not to mention Hussey, Benning, Johnson, Cooper etc. 
Mind you he did say Trust The Process !

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:
4 minutes ago, JSValiant said:

Lucas and stone arent poor, lucas is more than capable of being a top end l2 keeper he just has moments of madness. Stone isn't ready to be a number 1 but he will be a good keeper. Johnson he turned a free signing into an income for the club.

Realistically, I'd personally say Holy, Cooper, Hussey and Harratt have been real disapointments. Thats 4 out of 20+ signings this season
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Lornelounger I agree with a lot of your comments 

I haven't gone overboard,simply said our bigger more experienced players such as Proctor,Wozza and Hussey were poor today 

I think it's the nature of the defeat. We've lost without a whimper in the last 2 games against teams with nothing to play for other than pride,contracts...whatever they have to.

I really think this has been our best chance to get out of the division this season,that's what has been my main gripe

Yes, they were DazFred,  I can't work out why, having watched them a lot. One slip from Hussey and we're a goal down, and it really affected his play. His confidence seemed very low. And I agree with what you say with the nature of the defeat.  But I think we can all be furious without resorting to the attacks that are going on in this forum (cue the post that says "we're all entitled to an opinion" - this is just mine.).  I agree that this has been our best chance to get promoted.  I'm not a betting man, but for the first time in my life I put money on the Vale to go up this season. So I am very fed up that we "just" had to win two games to guarantee it, because you dream of being in that position at the start of the season. I'm obviously losing the ability to spit my dummy out of the pram when things don't go my way.  Should I be worried do you think?  Shall I post something along the lines that I can't believe Covolan hasn't been given an honorary knighthood for his services to maintaining Vale fans' high blood pressure?

• Like 3

Advert:

Just got in and to say I'm dissapointed is an understatement. I've not missed a home game and been 18 away games this season and we've bottled the last 3 games no if's but's or maybe's, brill season and to be so close and yet end up so far away makes it even worse. I will be at Exeter and as usual be 100% behind the team its just a pitty it couldn't be replicated by the team.

• Like 3

We're too predictable in our lineup. Same formation time after time. We keep playing Smith and worrall in unnatural positions. Smith is a centre back full stop he is not supposed to be a ball player. He even indicated at a free kick he is not supposed to be doing this! Unlucky with injuries especially the midfield but why take Charsley off to put Wilson back there. Very disappointed but not surprised. I know DC started this formation but he had the ability to change it. Sadly I think we've missed our leader.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
23 minutes ago, JSValiant said:

I would say over half are not good enough, our best defender and midfielder are 2 of the very few here before Flitcroft and DC arrived.