Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Azaz has that ability to pick it up and run with purpose, we have no-one like that. Not even Garrity has been doing that recently.

You are spot on picking Azaz out. What a wonderful footballer, he drove through us time and time again, his distribution was excellent and his finishing. We have no one on our books to compare 

• Like 2

Advert:

2 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I'll agree with most of that, but a word for Smudge. Thought he was one of our better players in a terrible display, along with Garritty and Wilson. How Gibbo didn't start I don't know. Worrall has been poor for weeks. Hussey was abject at best, Charsley had his pants pulled down first half, and we just never got on the ball.

TC getting injured really looks like it's costing us, because nobody in the middle of the park can pass the ball forwards.

I like Smith as a defender. I don't like him on the ball. Playing the same role as Cass, who was superb on the ball, is a travesty. Newport actively gave Smith space, funnelling our attacks into our most limited player, hence him seeing (and doing so little with) the ball so much.

• Like 6

Absolutely embarrassing. Total bottle job in front of "sell out crowd"..On TV to top it all off as well. Had so many text for this its untrue. We didn't look like a good team at all.  Rubbish. We aren't going up watching that tripe, nor do we deserve to

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gasmad said:

Why give up you are not out of it yet?

The last three performances. We made a finished Newport and Walsall look excellent. What will you guys, or Mansfield, or Swindon, do to us when we're playing like this?

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

I like Smith as a defender. I don't like him on the ball. Playing the same role as Cass, who was superb on the ball, is a travesty. Newport actively gave Smith space, funnelling our attacks into our most limited player, hence him seeing (and doing so little with) the ball so much.

Fair.

The crowd were a disgrace today. All the plastics booing every two minutes didn't help anyone. We looked nervous and bottled it, as you rightly say.

• Like 7

At the start of the season I expect no one thought we would be anywhere near play-offs let alone promotion. In the end fatigue and no plan B caught up with us. 
Let’s take heart with the efforts of DC & DF to put together a squad that have given us a season to cheer. Some tweaks and re-modelling and we will comeback stronger. Whilst the play-offs are still mathematically a possibility, let’s look forward and not backwards. When all is said and done, FGR & Exeter took several years to achieve their goal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The last three performances. We made a finished Newport and Walsall look excellent. What will you guys, or Mansfield, or Swindon, do to us when we're playing like this?

Like Jimmy Greaves said footballs a funny old game utg 

Advert:

I have just listened to Crosby’s interview on Radio Stoke.

He said start of the second half we went at them, got the equaliser and looked the most likely side to win it?

The stats said Newport had 6 shots on target to Vale’s 2 and had 8 corners to Vale’s 2.

What planet is he on ?

He has said all along he doesn’t look at the League Table, What a pity he hadn’t.

4 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Fair.

The crowd were a disgrace today. All the plastics booing every two minutes didn't help anyone. We looked nervous and bottled it, as you rightly say.

I said the same 

I prefer us with 6K who get behind the team instead of parents bringing the kids playing on their bloody tablets

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jeffers said:

When all is said and done, FGR & Exeter took several years to achieve their goal.

Yeah I fail to share the belief of the more optimistic fans that if we don't do it this year, we'll do it next year.

FGR and Exeter have been scrapping around for years. Same for today's opponents. All well-run clubs, so it's hard to say 'we have a DoF ergo we will improve our position next season'.

Next season you've likely got a big-spending Bradford and Salford, alongside moneybags Wrexham and Stockport. Absolutely no guarantee the league is as open as it has been this year. We had a superb chance and have blown it.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Advert:

I think ppl are being a tad harsh on Worrall. All season he’s had to play in all three positions on the right. When he does get the ball from Smith (who they were talking about being a £1m player a few years back). It’s a ten yard ball with Worrall coming closer to him so he’s facing our own goal with a defender right behind him. Smith is a liability, together with Hussey and there’s no pace at the back, or in the team. Look at the relationship Worrall had when Gibbo was RB, Gibbo could play it short and go for the return, Smith lays it off and thinks he’s done his bit. Worrall would also come short and spin off the defender as Gibbo would play it long over the top, into the hole.

• Like 4

Great post Joe B again as usual.  If we miss out on the play-offs this season has been a failure and will take some getting over going into next season.  We look to have completely bottled it, that first half performance was completely unacceptable and we showed no fight whatsoever.  There is no way this team is getting anything next week, we have to rely on Harrogate getting a result against Sutton to prevent this season from becoming a let down as sure Swindon will get a draw at Walsall.  

Everyone thinking next season we will be up there no problem, it won't be that easy, this was an unbelieable opportunity for us and chances like this don't come along often.  Gillingham, Doncaster and Wimbledon for me are likely to be strong at League 2 level, Wrexham and Stockport if they come up will have top 3 budgets at this level and likely to spend a load, Mark Hughes hasn't gone to Bradford without the promise of a lot of money, Crawley been taken over by American owners who have promised big investment, the likes of Newport, Salford, Tranmere will be challenging I am sure, this could be the best chance.