• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

20 hours ago, Conrad said:

Yes but don’t you get an easier tie in the play offs  the higher up the league you finish, so play your strongest team.

The BIG advantage in finishing in the top two play off spots is the second legs at home so SURELY an advantage YES....

Advert:

we are not suddenly going to become a free scoring team it's to late for that there isnt the goals or creativity in the team.

The fact that we're joint 3rd top scorers in the league would strongly suggest that you're completely wrong on that
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, philmpv said:

The fact that we're joint 3rd top scorers in the league would strongly suggest that you're completely wrong on that

How many games have we won by more than 2 goals? If we dont defend properly we dont win simple

• Like 2

On 24/04/2022 at 10:14, philmpv said:

I'd be dropping Worrall for this and playing either Edmondson or Robinson. He's been awful for a couple of months now and enough is enough so far as I'm concerned. This is how he was playing before Aspin dropped him. Benning has done enough in the games before yesterday to be given another chance.

I’d get Gibbons in on the left and get Edmonson down the right and get Harrett in tucked in behind Wilson and Proctor but we need more dynamism in midfield: this isn’t over yet?

Advert:

32 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Three 

And eight by two goals

And four 1-0 wins and five nil-nil draws and 34 games where have conceded one goal or less!!. My point was we are going to have to defend and keep clean sheets to pick up points. Having said that  Newport are a team we could exploit at the back and win against comfortably but generally we need to be defensively sound to get results. The last 2 games we have not only conceded poor goals but with have looked on the whole poor defensively.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

And four 1-0 wins and five nil-nil draws and 34 games where have conceded one goal or less!!. My point was we are going to have to defend and keep clean sheets to pick up points. Having said that  Newport are a team we could exploit at the back and win against comfortably but generally we need to be defensively sound to get results. The last 2 games we have not only conceded poor goals but with have looked on the whole poor defensively.

I know your point,I think it's the fact that our GD is pretty good,although Northampton have gone plus 5 and we have minus 3 over the last 2 games!

We can't seem to stop the ball coming in and the goals were v poor on Saturday 

However we are still the closest to Northampton and whilst there is a chance to overtake them then we have to be positive and firstly try to win the Newport game...staring the obvious I know.

I've tried to be as positive as I can but I find it hard to accept the level of criticism the team have had thrown at them.

We never seem to be able to beat Walsall and could easily have got a point against Brizzle...in fact we lost the game in the lady minute of each of them

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I know your point,I think it's the fact that our GD is pretty good,although Northampton have gone plus 5 and we have minus 3 over the last 2 games!

We can't seem to stop the ball coming in and the goals were v poor on Saturday 

However we are still the closest to Northampton and whilst there is a chance to overtake them then we have to be positive and firstly try to win the Newport game...staring the obvious I know.

I've tried to be as positive as I can but I find it hard to accept the level of criticism the team have had thrown at them.

We never seem to be able to beat Walsall and could easily have got a point against Brizzle...in fact we lost the game in the lady minute of each of them

I totally agree about the criticism I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing coming out of the ground against Bristol Rovers. Bristol are a decent side in this league,  played in league one last season and they did a job on us like we have done to many teams this season. Again I think for alot of people it's the fact we are in league 2 every defeat gets scrutinised no matter who we play or where we are in the league table as fans we think we have a defined right to be in the top half of league one/championship. But then so do the fans of Bradford, Brizzle, Swindon etc. If you look at the last 2 performances they weren't much different to the perfornances in the games we have won recently the only difference poor defending. I spoke to some who went to hartlepool we were poor first half but still managed to win the game and defended well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I totally agree about the criticism I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing coming out of the ground against Bristol Rovers. Bristol are a decent side in this league,  played in league one last season and they did a job on us like we have done to many teams this season. Again I think for alot of people it's the fact we are in league 2 every defeat gets scrutinised no matter who we play or where we are in the league table as fans we think we have a defined right to be in the top half of league one/championship. But then so do the fans of Bradford, Brizzle, Swindon etc. If you look at the last 2 performances they weren't much different to the perfornances in the games we have won recently the only difference poor defending. I spoke to some who went to hartlepool we were poor first half but still managed to win the game and defended well.

Spot on.

I could name the person who went way overboard when I dared to criticise his opinion.

Bottom line is that the team have massively overachieved this season.

No one expected us to be where we are. We've had our share of injuries,tragedy,loss of form etc,but we're still in with a chance of automatic promotion and I'd take that.

Hopefully we can win on Monday to take us to 78 points and see where we are

• Like 2

Advert:

I think the extra two days off is a positive because we looked knackered on Saturday. Gibbo comes in for me even if he can only do an hour. Dunno what's going on with Worrall recently but he's not right. Seems to have lost half a yard of pace as well to me and doesn't seem to want to go past his man.

Taylor for Charsley isn't a bad shout either. Gets a bit more creativity on the pitch. Maybe even Hussey for Benning for his set pieces. Corners have been dreadful in the last two games.

20 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

I think the extra two days off is a positive because we looked knackered on Saturday. Gibbo comes in for me even if he can only do an hour. Dunno what's going on with Worrall recently but he's not right. Seems to have lost half a yard of pace as well to me and doesn't seem to want to go past his man.

Taylor for Charsley isn't a bad shout either. Gets a bit more creativity on the pitch. Maybe even Hussey for Benning for his set pieces. Corners have been dreadful in the last two games.

Why are we knackered we on the brink of achieving something and all of a sudden we look leggy if anything how well the players are looked after at the club by Sue Potts and all the people behind the scenes they should be running on sheer happiness alone Happy they are in  a position go up and do the  whole area of Burslem and surrounding areas the world of good plus give the owners the success they deserve .

The only reason why performances have dropped off the cliff is because they are nervous what they nervous of go and do what you being doing before you played Bristol Rovers and got edgy .

I don't get it personally how nerves can get to you at a crucial time of season Northampton and Bristol and Exeter playing there normal games .

VALE DO likewise if they do they are better than all them 3 teams for sure 

UTV 

11 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Why are we knackered we on the brink of achieving something and all of a sudden we look leggy if anything how well the players are looked after at the club by Sue Potts and all the people behind the scenes they should be running on sheer happiness alone Happy they are in  a position go up and do the  whole area of Burslem and surrounding areas the world of good plus give the owners the success they deserve .

The only reason why performances have dropped off the cliff is because they are nervous what they nervous of go and do what you being doing before you played Bristol Rovers and got edgy .

I don't get it personally how nerves can get to you at a crucial time of season Northampton and Bristol and Exeter playing there normal games .

VALE DO likewise if they do they are better than all them 3 teams for sure 

UTV 

You are right it makes me laugh when folk on here say we’re running on empty , the players looked leggy you are right they are looked after brilliantly and given time to recover after games part of the reason we were crap on Saturday was they couldn’t handle the pressure and that don’t bode well for the playoffs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

You are right it makes me laugh when folk on here say we’re running on empty , the players looked leggy you are right they are looked after brilliantly and given time to recover after games part of the reason we were crap on Saturday was they couldn’t handle the pressure and that don’t bode well for the playoffs 

Put it this way if you got 11 Vale fans out the stand on Saturday and you knew that 2300 odd people wanted you win and turned up you be running through the other team and brick walls to get the ball in the Walsall net ,Monday v Bristol Rovers that was a so so result if Jones scores from exquisite Wilson ball through we have momentum I didn't think for one minute they were better than us they spent more time messing about and keeping the ball out of play than doing much and the scoreline did not reflect that pvfc were trying get that equaliser cause they were the scoreline was harsh on Vale in my opinion .

Advert:

3 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

When did we last score from a set piece? 

Directly, Colchester at home Martin's goal was one? I'm not sure if Smith against Scunthorpe may have been 2nd phase from a free kick or corner as well? Garrity at Rochdale was a header too can't recall the build up to it though.