onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

18 hours ago, PortVale4Life said:

Yea but it’s not the start of the season is it? Irrelevant we’ve <ovf censored> up autos and probably won’t make play offs. Big budget signed loads of players. Should be going up. 

We still might--keep the faith!

Advert

I can't believe I'm reading that we've overachieved and we need to spend even more time in League 2 before going up, and it's gone down a storm. We've been here 5 years, which is nearly our longest spell in 70 years. We finished 8th two years ago. 

Morecambe went up on about half our budget and have stayed there. The concept that, if we went up this year, we'd come back down is complete guesswork and doesn't justify more time in this wretched league with 120 away fans a week. It's mental gymnastics to excuse a failure to get promoted. Why on earth should be we scared of League 1?! Morecambe have stayed up! Morecambe. Luton are like 4th in the Championship, but we need to skulk about the lowest tier of professional football for record-breaking further season to make sure we're ready for Accrington Stanley at home. We've beaten two League 1 teams and drawn with another since August. Let us at them! 

We really haven't done far better than everyone expected. Honestly, if you'd offered me 'you'll need a draw at a team going for the title or be reliant on other results to finish 7th', I really wouldn't have snapped your hand off. We finished 8th two seasons ago with a poorer manager, poorer squad, and poorer infrastructure. Considering where we were in November, or Good Friday, I'd have openly laughed at you if you suggested a collapse of that magnitude. 

I get that I come across as this miserable moaning cynic who is never satisfied, but to be honest folks, I'm never going to be really satisfied with League 2 football; not when Bournemouth return to the Premier League, Luton challenge for the Championship playoffs, Burton, Fleetwood, Accrington, and Morecambe ply their football in a division above us, a team from 'Nailsworth' get promoted ahead of us. These are all clubs that have absolutely nothing over us in terms of revenue, fanbase, or infrastructure - they just happened to have had some success, which for some reason we're quite satisfied to chase like a mirage, always in sight but never getting there. I don't think it's a God-given right, I just can't work out why Accrington and Morecambe can do more than we can.

The investment and commitment that has been made in this club by our owner warrants more ambition than 'well, maybe next year. We weren't ready for big scary League 1, with it's totemic giants of Fleetwood and Morecambe'. What other League 2 clubs were spending money on three players in January? Where's the optimism? We've got the best owner in the country, we can handle League 1. Give Carol a bit more credit. We'd be sound.

Thought I'd calmed down. FFS. I'll drop it all now as I'm aware its tedious to open the thread to another seething wall of text, but I'm just frustrated.

34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I can't believe I'm reading that we've overachieved and we need to spend even more time in League 2 before going up, and it's gone down a storm. We've been here 5 years, which is nearly our longest spell in 70 years. We finished 8th two years ago. 

Morecambe went up on about half our budget and have stayed there. The concept that, if we went up this year, we'd come back down is complete guesswork and doesn't justify more time in this wretched league with 120 away fans a week. It's mental gymnastics to excuse a failure to get promoted. Why on earth should be we scared of League 1?! Morecambe have stayed up! Morecambe. Luton are like 4th in the Championship, but we need to skulk about the lowest tier of professional football for record-breaking further season to make sure we're ready for Accrington Stanley at home. We've beaten two League 1 teams and drawn with another since August. Let us at them! 

We really haven't done far better than everyone expected. Honestly, if you'd offered me 'you'll need a draw at a team going for the title or be reliant on other results to finish 7th', I really wouldn't have snapped your hand off. We finished 8th two seasons ago with a poorer manager, poorer squad, and poorer infrastructure. Considering where we were in November, or Good Friday, I'd have openly laughed at you if you suggested a collapse of that magnitude. 

I get that I come across as this miserable moaning cynic who is never satisfied, but to be honest folks, I'm never going to be really satisfied with League 2 football; not when Bournemouth return to the Premier League, Luton challenge for the Championship playoffs, Burton, Fleetwood, Accrington, and Morecambe ply their football in a division above us, a team from 'Nailsworth' get promoted ahead of us. These are all clubs that have absolutely nothing over us in terms of revenue, fanbase, or infrastructure - they just happened to have had some success, which for some reason we're quite satisfied to chase like a mirage, always in sight but never getting there. I don't think it's a God-given right, I just can't work out why Accrington and Morecambe can do more than we can.

The investment and commitment that has been made in this club by our owner warrants more ambition than 'well, maybe next year. We weren't ready for big scary League 1, with it's totemic giants of Fleetwood and Morecambe'. What other League 2 clubs were spending money on three players in January? Where's the optimism? We've got the best owner in the country, we can handle League 1. Give Carol a bit more credit. We'd be sound.

Thought I'd calmed down. FFS. I'll drop it all now as I'm aware its tedious to open the thread to another seething wall of text, but I'm just frustrated.

352B5D01-D163-415B-9EA0-913BB65FBDFE.jpeg

playoffs = overall achievement when overhaul and league position last year are considered.

top 3 = not over-achievement, but fantastic achievement for anyone team any season due to the factors that can go wrong

missing out on the playoffs = HUGE under-achievement, even half this squad should make the playoffs with ease.

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

352B5D01-D163-415B-9EA0-913BB65FBDFE.jpeg

I do, yeah. I fully accept it. I want Port Vale to be successful now, for the old fans and the young kids, like Accrington, Morecambe, Cheltenham, Luton, Wycombe, and Bournemouth are. It's not like we should be patient now after decades of golden years - it's been naff and its about time it changed.

I see that as fairly standard Vale fan behaviour, to be honest. I don't see why we should be any different from any of those mentioned clubs. I've never seen being a Vale fan as being accepting, passively and stoically, of whatever happens good or bad, which is why I didn't stand around when the last owner tried to liquidate us. The fans deserve better than 6 seasons in 4th tier football.

Really isn't the burn you think it is. I do want it now. We finished 8th two years ago. I would have been dismayed if you'd told me we'd still be here three seasons later.

Achieving promotion after having such a big squad overhaul would have meant all players playing to their potential and being available. That's why it's a 2/3 year project, so the things that should go right first time, can be altered so they actually go right. There weren't any players that I thought were nailed on to massively underachieve / be injured but there has been those players. Sorting that out will improve the overall standard. Though the injuries were a huge risk and I would argue they haven't paid off in most cases.

A quick reminder that 'overhauls' and 'squad stability' have little correlation to success at this level. 

Retaining a lot of players doesn't really predict success, just like signing loads of them doesn't mean you have to forfeit the year.

Bristol Rovers have signed 20 players this season. Northampton 19. The concept we're different because we signed loads is nonsense. Good players get out of this league - they don't need to have been here long.

Last time we didn't have an overhaul, we dropped from 8th to Askey getting sacked by January. It just isn't a predictor of success, and isn't an excuse.

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This perfectly sums up how I feel. There's a line from a Smiths track that goes

"When you say it's gonna happen now, well when exactly do you mean?" 

I'm absolutely sick at the prospect of missing out on Derby, Wednesday, Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich and Bolton - not to mention the doable awaydays in Fleetwood, Burton, Shrewsbury and Accrington.

I feel for the owner, who must realise that week in week out Fourth Division mediocrity is no attraction whatsoever for old or new fans.

The only positive is that there's a game left to change the outlook. We might not have confidence but we have hope - and we MUST cling to that until the end.   

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A quick reminder that 'overhauls' and 'squad stability' have little correlation to success at this level. 

Retaining a lot of players doesn't really predict success, just like signing loads of them doesn't mean you have to forfeit the year.

Bristol Rovers have signed 20 players this season. Northampton 19. The concept we're different because we signed loads is nonsense. Good players get out of this league - they don't need to have been here long.

Last time we didn't have an overhaul, we dropped from 8th to Askey getting sacked by January. It just isn't a predictor of success, and isn't an excuse.

Agreed nearly every club in the league has a big turnover of players each season the days of building a side over 2/3 seasons went out with the Bosman rule look at Swindon a month before the start of the season they couldn’t field a side 

16 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Sorry you felt the need.  It was nice to stay and applaud Carol & Kevin and show some love for Daryl and family as they walked around the pitch.

Well said

31 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I do, yeah. I fully accept it. I want Port Vale to be successful now, for the old fans and the young kids, like Accrington, Morecambe, Cheltenham, Luton, Wycombe, and Bournemouth are. It's not like we should be patient now after decades of golden years - it's been naff and its about time it changed.

I see that as fairly standard Vale fan behaviour, to be honest. I don't see why we should be any different from any of those mentioned clubs. I've never seen being a Vale fan as being accepting, passively and stoically, of whatever happens good or bad, which is why I didn't stand around when the last owner tried to liquidate us. The fans deserve better than 6 seasons in 4th tier football.

Really isn't the burn you think it is. I do want it now. We finished 8th two years ago. I would have been dismayed if you'd told me we'd still be here three seasons later.

Cheer up you miserable sod… it’s a lighthearted dig to try and brighten the gloom.

14 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

You mean we pay the price of having a player doing the work of two (c.f. Robbie Earle) pressing, chasing, hassling, ball winning, turning 50-50s into 60-40s and still having a second go if he loses the first challenge, driving us forward... and scoring goals Slaven or Hughes would be proud of? Modest, level headed... I could go on, but I don't have his stamina.

That's our Player of the Season you're talking about.

Perfectly put EH; I despair that so many people cannot see that.

46 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A massive re-build of a squad has got to be a risk, ask any MU fan. No matter what the budget, nothing is guaranteed. What EVERY team needs is a little luck to go with the drawing board re-build. Had we not lost TC, JG, JW, JP , BW, to unforeseen injuries, we would have been top three. That’s not to mention losing DC, the kingpin. FGR & Exeter have been lucky not to suffer long term injuries.

Our capitulation has occurred after Brad Walker’s injury, as we have no-one to cover his position. Without Tom Conlon we have no midfield guile, anyone to pick a pass. There is little cohesion between defence- midfield-forward line. No other team has suffered these key injuries. I am sure the management felt that  they had sufficient cover in the squad, but sadly it proved not to be.

I don’t blame anyone, nor will I stoop to booing the players or owners (total disbelief 🫢). I am still so aggrieved that promotion may have been stolen from us, but if so move on and give it another go next season. Life is too short to bemoan what may have been.

Garrity was brought in to sit on the bench and watch Conlon and Pett pass it around until 80 mins has gone. In reality, he's been asked to start every game and score or set up every other goal. If every player had stood up to be counted like him we'd have 100 points now.

53 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Let’s be clear, you can sign as many players as you like for your squad but a settled team is the key.  Not checked the stats but I’d bet Bristol Rovers, Northampton et al will have had far fewer disruptions than ourselves.  Feel free to correct me, but most teams will have had their blips when key players have gone missing, Swindon a good example.

Archived