onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

You have hit the nail on the head, that squad on paper but football is played on grass.

Nobody wants the Vale to be successful as much as I do.

But 2 seasons ago we finished 8th under John Askey and it looks likely to be the same position after having a lot bigger playing budget.

I can understand Fans Frustrations, especially the fact we blew it at Walsall then had it back in our own hands again and then blew it again.   

The Management and Players had 9 days to prepare for Newport and look what happened. 
I still feel the Covid Situation with all the postponements was the start of the problems.

Plus the January Transfer Dealings, we lost Cass and Politic. The 2 wide centre backs of Cass and Jones was a really good partnership and although we sometimes conceded bad goals. we were dominating games.

I know we had the run of 1 Defeat in 19 but we didn’t seem to be as dominant as up to December.

In January we signed 8 players but in my opinion the only improvement we made was with Connor Hall and to a lesser degree Charsley.

Advert

28 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

For me this league will be even more competive next year and touger to get out of, Wimbledon, Doncaster and Gillingham are all decent sized clubs at this level and will likely be up there, you could have money bags Stockport and Wrexham in the league, I know money doesn't mean everything but gives you a great chance to succeed.  Mark Hughes has not gone to Bradford without any assurances of a big budget, Crawley been taken over by American owners who have promised money, then the likes of Orient, Tranmere, Salford, Newport who will be very competitive not to mention those teams who miss out in the play-offs like Bristol, Swindon and Mansfield.  This for me could be the best chance we have in years and while I trust everything Carol, Darrell and Flitcroft are doing, this could be a much harder league next year.

I am concerned that the big budgets have missed out, meaning they are all still in there with more coming up and down to join them. it's definitely going to be a tougher league next year

Havent posted earlier to get over the disappointment and to try and avoid a knee jerk reaction. Felt the third goal in the 3-1 defeat by Bristol  was harsh, but at 2-1 all credit for trying to get the equaliser. Having said that Bristol I felt played better than us, but after all they were fellow promotion contenders. Walsall and Newport were the real failures for me. Both midtable teams with nothing to play for ( pros and cons to that I know) and they looked better than us, that was worrying and incredibly disappointing. 

This season, I think we have already peaked and if its the playoffs we look like the team that should have gone up automatically but didnt. That carries with it a major downside mentally with my money on one of the other playoff teams. Its been said Vale are a streaky team, looks to me like we are on one now. Unfortunately its a losing streak.

Hope the Vale players prove me wrong but at the Business end of the season have seen nothing to indicate they will.

3 hours ago, 1 said:

I don't think if DC had been in charge for the whole season we'd be in a better position than we are now. Crosby's have been good on average and the same injuries, formation, lack of width, etc. would still be issues.

No question AC has done a great job in testing circumstances, however I feel that DC, whilst sometimes making wholesale changes, was more astute with his substitutions.  For me in the last 3 games it’s looked like simply a case of “let’s get as many forwards on as we can and hope one of them scores a goal from nothing.”  The subs have completely unbalanced the team.   We’ve gone from being a goal in arrears and not playing well, but still in the game, to a total <ovf censored> show.   If that’s the philosophy we may as well have just pushed one of the big lads from the back up front and gone completely route one in the style of Oldham.

5 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

….Walsall and Newport were the real failures for me. Both midtable teams with nothing to play for ( pros and cons to that I know) and they looked better than us, that was worrying and incredibly disappointing…..

Not for me.  Walsall seemed to grasp that there was a “derby” element to the game, whilst no doubt the presence of the TV cameras will have boosted the Newport players desire to at least show some individual pride.  So both games not quite the dead rubbers they could’ve been.  Both opponents competitive and fully up for it in my view.

So, 24hrs after watching the game, thought I’d chuck in my 2 penathworth

Am I gutted that we’ve lost the last 3 match – too right I am.  I am thoroughly pissed off from yesterdays performance; add that to Walsall and Rovers (who were way the better team on the day) and I’m gutted.  Like everyone else I got my hopes up that Vale would get promoted this season.  Add to that I my heart is full of pride for what Carol, Kevin and all the Vale staff have done to take us from being an utter joke in the football league to a wonderful Community Club to be 100% proud of.

Yesterday, we were abject in the first half, far better but still not good enough in the second half and they were better (like Rovers) than us and deserved the win (though Azaz was superb)

My view on this is that we’re just not ready yet.  In some ways, part of me doesn’t want to get promoted this season nor be in the play-off’s. 

Why…??  Simples, really.

As others have said, some of the teams around us have been building for years to get promoted into the next league – look at Exeter and FGR in particular, add Newport and others.  In contrast, we’ve added (I think the number is) 23 NEW players this season alone, we’ve been riddled with injuries (yes – I know, as have others) and we’ve had the personal issues the Gaffer has had to face (in all honesty I don’t think I’d have made it back from what the poor man has been through)  BUT, as yet, we haven’t got it right and we need more time.  Some of the players in the squad absolutely will not be wearing a Vale shirt next year (possibly some that were on the pitch yesterday) and new faces will need to come in.  For my mind – and, again, as others have said Crosby was put in to a position he never asked for and, on the whole, I think he’s done a good job; remember it was only a few short weeks ago we were all singing his name at Hartlepool.

Here's the thing; at the start of this season no one really thought that, at one point – we’d be second, or that we spend the vast majority of the season in the play-off places, or that we had any chance at all of a ‘successful’ season.  But we have; we’ve done far, far better than anyone expected.  And I genuinely get the let down and disappointment that everyone is feeling.  But we need to forget that and concentrate on tuning the team to try and win the league next season.

In my mind I think it would be far better to concentrate on getting things right and building slowly, say in the way that Exeter have done, and ensure that - when we do go up, we stay up and are a side to be feared.  From there we build again and look to try and get in the Championship.  I fear that, if we went up now, we’d drop straight back down again the following season.  There have been times this season when we have played absolutely sublime football and that, in my mind, gives us a glimpse of just want we can do when we get the team right and play the correct system.  Add to that several of the opposition managers say we are the best team in the league that they’ve played, this season. BUT, again, we are just not quite there yet. 

A lot of times we’re playing the wrong system and using players out of position to do it; many have already stated that Proc and Wilson should be playing literally around the width of the box but, because we’ve had so many injuries and had to shoehorn players in to various positions, we’re just not in the right places at the right time (as others have said look where we played Taylor against BR).  When we do we look utterly terrifying – we need to get that boxed off and working properly.  That will take us another year and most of that work will come in the closed season. And yes, we miss Conlon, Jones and Gibbo, now Walker and Hall (hopefully he’ll be back for Exeter) plus other players playing week in week out carrying knocks.

One final thing: there are reports of people (fans – sic) shouting at Carol and Kevin after the game yesterday and giving them abuse.  Please, if you are one of them, please stop coming to Vale Park.  There’s another bunch of folk who like to hate who live just down the D-road, I’m sure they will welcome you with open arms.  Carol and Kevin are the best thing to happen to this club for the past 50-years.

On to Exeter; tough gig and wouldn’t it just be like Vale and pluck a two-Nil win out of the bag, play like Brazil and frustrate all of us even more.  By the by, I will never give up supporting them.

UTV and KTF

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not for me.  Walsall seemed to grasp that there was a “derby” element to the game, whilst no doubt the presence of the TV cameras will have boosted the Newport players desire to at least show some individual pride.  So both games not quite the dead rubbers they could’ve been.  Both opponents competitive and fully up for it in my view.

Perhaps I should have said nothing to play for promotion/relegation wise, unlike us. You are right both opponents were competitive and fully up for it, unlike us. 

7 minutes ago, Osh said:

Am I gutted that we’ve lost the last 3 match – too right I am.  I am thoroughly pissed off from yesterdays performance; add that to Walsall and Rovers (who were way the better team on the day) and I’m gutted.  Like everyone else I got my hopes up that Vale would get promoted this season.  Add to that I my heart is full of pride for what Carol, Kevin and all the Vale staff have done to take us from being an utter joke in the football league to a wonderful Community Club to be 100% proud of.

Yesterday, we were abject in the first half, far better but still not good enough in the second half and they were better (like Rovers) than us and deserved the win (though Azaz was superb)

My view on this is that we’re just not ready yet.  In some ways, part of me doesn’t want to get promoted this season nor be in the play-off’s. 

Why…??  Simples, really.

As others have said, some of the teams around us have been building for years to get promoted into the next league – look at Exeter and FGR in particular, add Newport and others.  In contrast, we’ve added (I think the number is) 23 NEW players this season alone, we’ve been riddled with injuries (yes – I know, as have others) and we’ve had the personal issues the Gaffer has had to face (in all honesty I don’t think I’d have made it back from what the poor man has been through)  BUT, as yet, we haven’t got it right and we need more time.  Some of the players in the squad absolutely will not be wearing a Vale shirt next year (possibly some that were on the pitch yesterday) and new faces will need to come in.  For my mind – and, again, as others have said Crosby was put in to a position he never asked for and, on the whole, I think he’s done a good job; remember it was only a few short weeks ago we were all singing his name at Hartlepool.

Here's the thing; at the start of this season no one really thought that, at one point – we’d be second, or that we spend the vast majority of the season in the play-off places, or that we had any chance at all of a ‘successful’ season.  But we have; we’ve done far, far better than anyone expected.  And I genuinely get the let down and disappointment that everyone is feeling.  But we need to forget that and concentrate on tuning the team to try and win the league next season.

In my mind I think it would be far better to concentrate on getting things right and building slowly, say in the way that Exeter have done, and ensure that - when we do go up, we stay up and are a side to be feared.  From there we build again and look to try and get in the Championship.  I fear that, if we went up now, we’d drop straight back down again the following season.  There have been times this season when we have played absolutely sublime football and that, in my mind, gives us a glimpse of just want we can do when we get the team right and play the correct system.  Add to that several of the opposition managers say we are the best team in the league that they’ve played, this season. BUT, again, we are just not quite there yet. 

A lot of times we’re playing the wrong system and using players out of position to do it; many have already stated that Proc and Wilson should be playing literally around the width of the box but, because we’ve had so many injuries and had to shoehorn players in to various positions, we’re just not in the right places at the right time (as others have said look where we played Taylor against BR).  When we do we look utterly terrifying – we need to get that boxed off and working properly.  That will take us another year and most of that work will come in the closed season. And yes, we miss Conlon, Jones and Gibbo, now Walker and Hall (hopefully he’ll be back for Exeter) plus other players playing week in week out carrying knocks.

One final thing: there are reports of people (fans – sic) shouting at Carol and Kevin after the game yesterday and giving them abuse.  Please, if you are one of them, please stop coming to Vale Park.  There’s another bunch of folk who like to hate who live just down the D-road, I’m sure they will welcome you with open arms.  Carol and Kevin are the best thing to happen to this club for the past 50-years.

On to Exeter; tough gig and wouldn’t it just be like Vale and pluck a two-Nil win out of the bag, play like Brazil and frustrate all of us even more.  By the by, I will never give up supporting them.

UTV and KTF

What a great Post Osh!

Yes we do have the Best Owners in the Football League and nobody in their right mind should have a go at them.

UTV

16 minutes ago, Osh said:

Why…??  Simples, really.

UTV and KTF

Agree with this 

We overachieved IMO 

I never expected us to be as high as 3rd. I'm really disappointed as I think it's been out best chance to get promoted in a while.

However in the face of adversity I feel that the players have given their all.

The recent losing streak has admittedly been very disappointing, and those teams that do well in the playoffs are quite often those who have had a late surge and kicked on up the table. I think even if we manage a point (or other results go our way) and end up in the playoffs, our form doesn't suggest we'll get much further.

However, if you'd offered me the odds on the final game having a chance to get automatic promotion or a playoff position, I'd have bitten your hand off.

UTV.

I don't buy into this we have over achieved even if we miss out on the play-offs.  We have been backed heavily with a really competitive budget, might be wrong but reckon top 7, certainly top 10, we then invested in January for the first time since Micky Adams was manager and paid money for the likes of Hall, Charsley and Hussey, not many teams could do things like that.  As I have said before next year will be even harder if we don't succeed and it could be that our budget even if it remains the same as this year might only be a mid table one.

3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

I guess if we're honest with ourselves, most of us i,f at the beginning of the season,we'd been offered the chance to be in one of the potential play-off positions, I think we would have jumped at the offer!

Yea but it’s not the start of the season is it? Irrelevant we’ve <ovf censored> up autos and probably won’t make play offs. Big budget signed loads of players. Should be going up. 

58 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I don't buy into this we have over achieved even if we miss out on the play-offs.  We have been backed heavily with a really competitive budget, might be wrong but reckon top 7, certainly top 10, we then invested in January for the first time since Micky Adams was manager and paid money for the likes of Hall, Charsley and Hussey, not many teams could do things like that.  As I have said before next year will be even harder if we don't succeed and it could be that our budget even if it remains the same as this year might only be a mid table one.

Clarke stated himself (it was in a Sentinel article), either early in the season or just before it started, that he expected to be top 7 with the backing provided and squad assembled, and that anything less would be not good enough.

Joe B, as always your posts are rational and from the heart. Believe me, I and many others are feeling the same pain as you. Fortunately for me, I lived through the Rudgie years so do have distant memories of the good times. In fact, sitting in a guesthouse in Blackpool at the age of 10, watching England win the World Cup, will live with me until I hang up my boots for the last time. Whilst you have not had those good times, you have also not experienced “the massive fall from grace” that we have had in the post Rudgie years. 
I also question what is the greatest hurt - missing promotion after a good season or getting relegated at the end of an awful season. The one thing with true Vale fans is that we will be there next season, no matter how much we are hurting today. Chin up and KTF, with Carol at the helm this may be the beginning of a few years of cheer.

As a matter of interest, the three clubs relegated from the Championship in 1996-97 (our best finish @ 8th) were:-

Grimsby, Oldham, Southend.

Life can be so cruel.

18 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

Yea but it’s not the start of the season is it? Irrelevant we’ve <ovf censored> up autos and probably won’t make play offs. Big budget signed loads of players. Should be going up. 

No such thing as “should be” in football. This season more than any I can remember shows what can go wrong to derail a season. Anything and everything and probably even some new situations have happened to us. Despite the disappointment of the last 3 games, on the whole we’ve done well to get where we are. Hopefully we can keep the play off spot. 

Archived