onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

What I don't get is Proctor. He was unplayable at times until the Bristol game. Since then he 's looked like the still hungover mate who was good as kid who you drafted in at short notice for your Sunday morning team.

Hussey is a waste of a place. Gibbo plays 100% Saturday and boy did we miss Connor Hall today.

Advert

2 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Well I don't Joe, and it's just my opinion.  Some of your posts (which I enjoy reading by the way) have been demanding success as if it were a God given right.  It isn't.  Children going to bed tonight in tears?  Tell them what matters in life and quickly - much as we love it, it's a game of football, and nobody died out there today.  We're all disappointed, but what you call lambasting fans is simply pointing out that they are fickle and very ready to run down players when things don't go their way.  Do you think those "well remunerated" players wanted that to happen?  Does "having their backsides wiped" include all the work they do in the community?  I think you might be mistaking them for Premiership poseurs.  They are 4th division footballers who have hit a bad patch in the season, just at the wrong time.  It's a shame for the older generation who may not see success unless it happens quickly, and I sense your frustration about your grandfather - that is indeed sad.  But he and we deserve more?  Why? On what basis, just rocking up every week? It doesn't work that way unfortunately - Vale fans are loyal but walking through the turnstile doesn't guarantee success. There are no vouchers we can cash in for attending lots of games that mean we get promoted - it's not a board game.

I understand what you mean about a "rare chance of joy" being snatched away - perhaps you are loading too much on a set of professional footballers? A little bit melodramatic putting you chances of joy in the hands of some professional sportsmen who may not get it right now and again?  "Perform for me or I'll sulk and blame you for ruining my life".  It's not a way to live.  We're all disappointed.  I've followed this club for 53 years, and I've seen the ups and downs.  And if there is a cost of living crisis on, then people make their own choices about whether to buy a ticket or not - you can't simply blame the club for adding to their cost of living crisis by playing fixtures - people make their own call.  You seem to be blaming the Vale for everything going wrong in your life.  There are a bunch of MPs in Westminster and a maniac in Russia I would blame first about a cost of living crisis - why are you blaming your club for making them unhappy in a cost of living crisis?  My guess is that the fans who went to the sold out (but there seemed to be a lot of empty seats) match knew what they were letting themselves in for.   

So don't be amazed at "people being lambasted" in the way you viewed my post. I simply hold the view that a lot of the comments on here were over the top and ridiculous.   In my view, and that's all it is, some of the comments on here over a game lost went way beyond. It always happens when we lose a game we feel we ought to have won, needed to win, or we wanted to win so much on behalf of our children and parents and grandparents. But putting the hours in and demanding success off the back of it just doesn't work I'm afraid.  My post was all about the knee jerk types who are very quick to wade into the players when things go wrong, like they never had a bad day at work themselves.  Fine if you think they are spineless, I am pretty fed up with the team's response today too, but in my view, a lot of todays's comments were unnecessary. I would love to think that saying "no excuses Vale" ahead of the game actually meant anything - it just doesn't. Calling them bottlers just vents our spleen and gets some of the frustration out.  But it's not what I call supporting my team, fed up though I am tonight. I also want to enjoy moments with my loved ones, but I've learned that expecting that to happen at a football match because "we deserve it" doesn't always work. 

So thanks for seeing that my post was well intentioned.  I think yours is too.  I think we just differ in how much stock we hold in an imperfect (ie normal) bunch of human beings who kick a ball about for a living.  Give it time to stop hurting, and ask yourself whether this will matter in six months time - and then see who looks holier than thou by placing such expectations on a football team.  It won't be me.

Well said mate. Tbf I used to get wound up over football until the suicide of my parents. I know this sounds hard, however in a way it was the best thing that ever happened to me, as it makes you realise life is to be enjoyed.

Do I love Vale and want success, of course I do. I also understand fans getting a bit frustrated, however it's a bloody game for gods sake and not something you allow to ruin your weekend. Its part of the Sport we enjoy, you get up and downs. Let's enjoy the ride instead of being miserable buggers over something we can't alter.

My marks 

Stone 4 does he ever save anything at his near post ,was at fault for second goal as his mishap caused a corner the rest was history .

Smith 4 his he out of contract at endof season by any chance ,going through the motions last 6 games coasting .

Martin 6 

Hussey 5 after crap start I felt he did OK certainly better as game wore on .

Benning 4 first half dilly dallying,funny enough second half he was improving then took him off (you couldn't make it up).

Pett 7 battled for everything 

Garrity 7.3 star man gets about the pitch with charsley and Pett shame the defence are so leaky and goalie saves little .

Charsley 7.2 playing very well second half  brought him off (another major clanger can Smith not come off or hussey after all you do not put forward on and leave nobody in midfield especially when we were for the first time in the game on the offensive ) .

Smoked a great shot just wide first half .

Worrall 5 no lack of effort no end product and generally another you could bring off but no bring off the players doing stuff although he put one on a plate for Amoo ..

Wilson 6 second half come alive (another clanger bringing him off )as he had being involved in the goal etc ok first half he was crap in a word 

Proctor 4 not his best game dominated by centre half .

On the whole a 4 out of 10 performance where only a 20 minute spelli n second half did we show what a good side we are .

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Joe, after the Colchester game you’d given up on the season and wrote 

“Can’t be bothered, I’m sick of getting it right every season. Keeps happening. I predict it will go wrong, I get stick, and then it goes wrong.”

Try being more positive, predict it won’t go wrong for a change and you never know!!  You sound like the soothsayer in “Up Pompei” - woe, woe and thrice woe!!

He may of wrote that then Jean, but turns out he would of been right though !

4 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Well said mate. Tbf I used to get wound up over football until the suicide of my parents. I know this sounds hard, however in a way it was the best thing that ever happened to me, as it makes you realise life is to be enjoyed.

Do I love Vale and want success, of course I do. I also understand fans getting a bit frustrated, however it's a bloody game for gods sake and not something you allow to ruin your weekend. Its part of the Sport we enjoy, you get up and downs. Let's enjoy the ride instead of being miserable buggers over something we can't alter.

Sorry for your loss mate. I agree - we need to enjoy life more. Difficult sometimes when things go wrong, but we have to move on.

12 hours ago, JSValiant said:

One of the Highest Budgets in the league and you say no one expected Play Offs.

Swindon only had about 4 players the week before the season started and they have done as well as us.

Even Carol said we won’t finish 8th ?

The club is in a lot better position than for many years but you can understand the fans disappointment at the last 3 performances combined with the results.

We have been in League 2 a lot longer than Forest Green.

Regarding the recruitment other than Cass, when have Vale made any Decent Loan Signings Not since Tyler Walker.

The last time we brought in 15 players was when we were being managed by the Portuguese waiter and look where that ended. I hoped for a top half finish with play-offs being a bonus.

I do understand the disappointment with this sudden capitulation but it doesn’t detract from this season being a breath of fresh air compared to the recent years. Give the current owners and management time and they will prosper.

4 minutes ago, jeffers said:

The last time we brought in 15 players was when we were being managed by the Portuguese waiter and look where that ended. I hoped for a top half finish with play-offs being a bonus.

I do understand the disappointment with this sudden capitulation but it doesn’t detract from this season being a breath of fresh air compared to the recent years. Give the current owners and management time and they will prosper.

Spot on 

I was gutted last night and I've been a Vale fan for years! 

It's the first time I've attended regularly since we were relegated and in the main we've played some good footie,been a bit unlucky with injuries plus no other club has had the off field tragedy that Darrell Clarke has had.

It's a shame our bad run came at the end and it's similar to FGR except they had points in the bag.

The squad isn't that bad otherwise we wouldn't have won as many as we have...up till game 42 we had only lost 9. 

Top 10 was as good as I thought we would be this season. Dust ourselves down,look at the contractual situations...move some on,get some in...Lewis Cass would be a good signing IMO

Got literally no pace in the team. Must be easy to defend against when you go a goal up. No one can run in behind and everything is played infront of you. Trust the process. Can't believe we actually paid money for Hussey.

I don't think if DC had been in charge for the whole season we'd be in a better position than we are now. Crosby's have been good on average and the same injuries, formation, lack of width, etc. would still be issues.

15 hours ago, Emile said:

No, a clearout is not needed. We need a few players for sure and we will get them. We improved the squad in January but not by enough 

I think we have really gone for it this season in January, looking to make immediate tweaks to carry us through adversity. But the problem with that is if it doesn't end up working we have paid money for players like HC and CH who will be here next season too who are not up to it, probably on good wages. Plugging the gaps hasn't worked, as they haven't deputised for the injured players, they've just cost us the chance of recruiting fully and properly in the summer. Obviously Hall was a fantastic bit of business, so I would advocate that even if we were dead in the water for the season, but the others are panic plugs to keep the wheels on when hit with injury after injury.

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

I think we have really gone for it this season in January, looking to make immediate tweaks to carry us through adversity. But the problem with that is if it doesn't end up working we have paid money for players like HC and CH who will be here next season too who are not up to it, probably on good wages. Plugging the gaps hasn't worked, as they haven't deputised for the injured players, they've just cost us the chance of recruiting fully and properly in the summer. Obviously Hall was a fantastic bit of business, so I would advocate that even if we were dead in the water for the season, but the others are panic plugs to keep the wheels on when hit with injury after injury.

Signed a load of <ovf censored> in January 

13 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Got literally no pace in the team. Must be easy to defend against when you go a goal up. No one can run in behind and everything is played infront of you. Trust the process. Can't believe we actually paid money for Hussey.

The team needs another overhaul, Worrall looks worn out, Hussey isn’t good enough, Gibbons is too injury prone, Jones is always out of position: we need a quick forward up front: I have supported the Vale for nearly60 years, it’s still my club and I will be there next season but at least it’s ours to cherish not defunct as it would have been under Norman:  just saying 

Archived