onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

I thought the players all tried their best today but we were 2nd best throughout. I thought the team looked physically second best from the start and we seem to have really run out of steam. But tactically as well, In the first half we had 2 shots and none on target. They had 6 shots with 4 on target. No  matter we had significantly more of the ball we were not tactically doing the right things. I did lose it because it is no good playing square and back and nor is it any good seeing the target men / forwards drop deep and out wide so that we usually had no one in the box to cross and pass to. Second half started better and showed how it could be done for 20 minutes. After they scored again against the run of play we petered out as they managed the game well and our subs made no difference. 

I am concerned with Worrall. The team was very left sided today and therefore very predictable. We Smith and Worrall trying to make an impact down the right but Smith is a defender of win it give it short type. So Worrall, who I think is well below match fitness, is trying to take on the opposition from too deep a position and its an uphill struggle. In midfield we have the wrong mix and can't do much about it. We need Walker back or equivalent who is block tackler and not a runner / harrier.

If we keep doing the same we will get the same result. We must win at Exeter next week and regroup for the playoffs. But if we don't succeed then we have moved forward as a club and should be able to organise for a better challenge next year. Not too far away.

Just do your best team. That's all we can ask for.  

Advert

3 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Well, we're all getting a lot off our chests tonight aren't we?  Slagging off players who took us to third place not long ago, and who, if I read the forum right after Hartlepool, Salford, Oldham, were definitely going to get us promoted. No one is more gutted than me at todays abject display, but our readiness to turn all dirty guts after that game speaks volumes.  Some of you need to give your head a wiggle. X is crap, Y is garbage, Z has never been any good, A is too slow, B is out of position... Really?  I mean really? How fickle are you? This is the squad which lost its captain and playmaker many games back, just lost its best defender today of all days, and yes, they played like scared rabbits.  And yes I'm massively frustrated, and yes I hate it when we're on the telly because we usually tank, and yes it always happens when a large crowd turns up.  But can we count to ten and then make sensible reasoned comments before we trash players who have done well to get us where we are?  And can we make up our minds about the January transfer window?  One week it's a masterstroke of creative genius from our beloved DoF, the next week it's a wasted opportunity to buy Lionel Messi.  Hello?

Maybe they are playing with injuries, maybe they are not good enough, maybe Crosby got the subs wrong, maybe no-one will die in Ukraine today.  Keep some perspective. I just wish we could hang on to common sense after a bitterly disappointing performance and not just go for our pet hate's throat to make ourselves feel better.  Perhaps Nathan Smith is not a ball player, perhaps Worral's best days are behind him, but can we doubt that they have been on balance good players for the Vale - especially when the chips were down in our relegation struggles?  When we needed our neck saving with a dire chairman and might have become a non- league team?  There are a lot of people stamping their foot on here tonight saying "I want promotion now or it's not fair and the team are bottlers and a pile of crap".  Well welcome to the real world - sometimes we lose, you don't get what you want, and you support a team that play like a team of strangers. Welcome to the Vale. It is enormously annoying, and I am furious at today's result given what was at stake, but I do not subscribe to the player assassination going on here. Really sad that so may fans have turned on the team in this way, even when we were abject. We're all frustrated.  But get your heads up, for pity's sake. It's a long shot, but we might yet make the playoffs. That would be good, wouldn't it, after the trials and tribulations we have had this season? And we might lose in the playoffs as well. 

Had Stone palmed away their first goal, and someone blocked the shot for the second one (which was a very good goal I thought, damn them) and we had scraped home 1- 0 having played dreadfully, we would be lionising our players tonight for "digging out a result when not playing well".  But we were awful, and lost, and we are all gutted. So it's open season for "who shall I hate today for ruining my dreams".  It's all ifs, buts and maybes, but does anyone really think any of those players today got out of bed with the express view of playing like Mary Berry with a sore toe? I think they will all be very disappointed, as will the management and Carol. Time to get behind our team - one game to play.

I find it amazing how fans can be berated for being disappointed and angry after today and the last 20 years of being a Vale fan.

It really doesn't matter if the players got us third a fortnight ago - it matters where they finish. We've been let down, again, by Port Vale footballers and it's understandable that fans are gutted tonight and angry at an undoubted bottling.

It's very sanguine and holier than thou to label justified criticism of poor performances of Port Vale players as 'assassinations', 'dirty guts', and 'hatred', but in reality there is thousands of fans tonight who, again, have been let down by their team, having spend hundreds/thousands and countless hours supporting them up and down the country, to be rewarded by completely spineless losses against two teams with nothing to play for, in front of sold-out crowds with a cost of living crisis ongoing.

In my view, the ire should be aimed at the well-remunerated and superbly supported footballers (who, rightly, have their backsides wiped for them by this brilliant club) who have left children going to bed tonight in tears, not at the Vale fans who've put up with decades of rubbish and have witnessed a rare chance of joy snatched away by footballers unable to get the basics right.

Maybe I am impatient for success; when you take your 90yo Grandfather, who missed the 1953 semi-final as he was on national service for his country, back from the game, crestfallen, and he comments that may be the last time he sees Vale live, your heart breaks a bit. He, and we, deserve far more than this complete collapse. I can't take the view that maybe it'll be next year, and can't content myself with a record long stay in the 4th tier. You want to enjoy moments with your loved ones. 

I'm sorry, mate, your post is well-intentioned, but I can't agree with lambasting fans tonight for criticising players for underperformance when a real opportunity for success was on a platter for the most deserving fans in the country. 

20 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

We're a laughing stock.

yes, but we are our laughing stock - that's all that matters - we are VTID - be proud, iv been an underachiever all my life, cant really call the team I love for being the same 😍😍😍😍😍

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

Funny that he won player of the season when we were in .... L1

In a season in which we were relegated, and in which half of the players were of genuine foreign league standard - most of which don't play professional football anymore.

27 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I'm 36. My first game was in 93/94 so I was a bit young to really enjoy/understand the promotion when we won at Brighton on the last day.

In 27 years since I've seen...

Couple of cup runs in the early days, few wins against Stoke over 20 years back & 1 x promotion. Never even seen us in the playoffs. It's absolutely shocking really ain't it. Talk about starved. If we miss out on the playoffs next week it will be a massive kick in the teeth for all Vale fans, but specifically those of my generation, who have been deprived of any real success in going on for 30 years.

There's a very real chance we now lose our last 4 games of the season following on from winning 9 from 10. From our last 4 x games, 1 point would've seen us in the playoffs & 6 would've probably seen us up automatically. It's truly incredible stuff. I'd love to say you couldn't script it, but with the Vale, you can. The only club who could do something so ridiculous. We're a laughing stock.

The sad thing is it’s predicable Vale as you say. I’ve a friend who’s a Lincoln fan who I was talking to after Walsall and he couldn’t believe it when I said I’ve only seen one promotion in my life. He said you’ll go up easy. I said it’s Vale it’s never easy. Yet again they let me down.

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

The sad thing is it’s predicable Vale as you say. I’ve a friend who’s a Lincoln fan who I was talking to after Walsall and he couldn’t believe it when I said I’ve only seen one promotion in my life. He said you’ll go up easy. I said it’s Vale it’s never easy. Yet again they let me down.

Not yet. Still got a chance. 

2 hours ago, osprey said:

But with needing 2 wins from 4 games, in a great run of form at the time - just for once Vale in all the years I have supported you - could you just not cock it up as you usually do ?

This is why I was so wound up post-match.

If we were a successful club who does things that makes the fans happy, then fine, yeah, whatever, we move on, go again, ktf, be kind etc etc.

It's all so predictably 21st century Port Vale though - that's the kick in the teeth. We've managed to chuck away promotion on a platter, not through bad luck but through putrid performances.

Some fans seem resigned to this being us - you just simply have to accept that Port Vale provides minimal happiness and maximum disappointment. 

I see Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Accrington, Forest Green, and think 'why can't that be us?'.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

This is why I was so wound up post-match.

If we were a successful club who does things that makes the fans happy, then fine, yeah, whatever, we move on, go again, ktf, be kind etc etc.

It's all so predictably 21st century Port Vale though - that's the kick in the teeth. We've managed to chuck away promotion on a platter, not through bad luck but through putrid performances.

Some fans seem resigned to this being us - you just simply have to accept that Port Vale provides minimal happiness and maximum disappointment. 

I see Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Accrington, Forest Green, and think 'why can't that be us?'.

I’m resigned to that being us. Nothing I’ve seen in my life makes me think otherwise. Vale is a life of disappointment. Thanks to my Dad for that.

Just now, Powerline said:

Never gonna happen. We’d have to rely on 3 other teams and also beat Exeter.

Yes, we will need to beat Exeter. They're a good side at this level, but most definitely far from an impossible task. We can secure a play off place and still have a slight outside chance of automatic.

Just now, Warren said:

Yes, we will need to beat Exeter. They're a good side at this level, but most definitely far from an impossible task. We can secure a play off place and still have a slight outside chance of automatic.

I admire your positivity but just can’t see it myself. Wouldn’t be surprised if we drop out the playoffs since Sutton only have Harrogate.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I do agree with people on reflection that it seems odd that Covalan gets frozen out for two dire errors, yet there are guys who have been dire for months getting into the starting 11. 

Crosby isn’t a great manager and I feel  had Clarke not been hit by such tragedy, we would have been over the line. He has overseen too many utterly ineffectual performances. Yes, when he gets it right we look good, but when it is bad, there is no plan B. 

We also have a squad full of too many “nice boys”. James Wilson undoubtedly has skill, but he was so intimidated by a rough Newport team who gave our players some right grief. Worrall was effectively kicked and dragged off the pitch at one stage. 

TJH, I agree with you about AC, but when he was brought to assist DC fans were saying how fantastic he was and that the upturn in our form was down to AC. 

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

'why can't that be us?'.

about 70 other clubs also say the same - we are no different - unless you are one of the elite, all football will be more low than high - its the hope that keeps us hoping 😍😍

Archived