onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

The process has largely been ok.  If you turn over that many players you need a bit of luck with the recruitment.  Could we have better players? Maybe, but many could’ve turned out worse.  I still think injuries, and the timing of them, have been the single the biggest factor.

If I have a problem with the process it’s that we needed at least one more “recognised” striker from day one.  I’d also say overall we’re a bit slow and too “nice”.

Would agree Ray that we lack pace throughout the side. Would say we lack it throughout the squad. Some of our more pacy players seem to lack confidence to beat a man? Are we less brave than we should be? Are we to conservative in our play? Conlon and Walker huge misses at the moment.

Advert

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

You are spot on picking Azaz out. What a wonderful footballer, he drove through us time and time again, his distribution was excellent and his finishing. We have no one on our books to compare 

Loans can find new homes.... get on it Flickers.

28 minutes ago, Dangermouse3 said:

Well today we played like a damp squib. We didn't seem defensively organised and lacked some controlled aggression. Couldn't pass for toffee and they gave us a lesson in picking out front men and finding space.

Not going to dig out any players tonight but I counted that at least six gave below their average performance for the season. You can't win games when that happens. 
To get where we are is pleasing as my predictions for the season were Mansfield, Northampton, Bristol Rovers, Walsall and Vale 5th. But what gnaws is where we were after the Hartlepool game and how it has panned out.

At the end of the game, I had to turn off the tv and when outside to dig in the garden to relieve me of my frustrations !

My son rang me tonight and has two tickets for Exeter as his mate is so deflated and now won't go. Wifey and I will be there on Saturday, cheering on the team I love regardless that I am feeling down in the dumps tonight. 
Matt Taylor the Exeter manager was at today's game and he now has watched Vale live twice recently. To win at Exeter I feel we need to do something different. Formation and personnel change. 

VTID

Silver lining for the tickets at least 😀 

3 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Starting the same team bar hall/hussey and same formation as Walsall says it all really 

Exactly, 1 forced change and other than that expected better results from the same team.

A lot of people are obviously very disappointed at how the season’s ending.

The team has had a good season in what has been a poor standard even by league 2 terms. 
In a lot of games Vale have not had that many shots on Target but have managed to score a good percentage of goals even so.

I would like to see more pace and creativity in the team next season. We certainly have missed Conlon for his creativity.

We also have got to find an out and out goal scorer to go with the other strikers.

4 minutes ago, vallyunt said:

We're too predictable in our lineup. Same formation time after time. We keep playing Smith and worrall in unnatural positions. Smith is a centre back full stop he is not supposed to be a ball player. He even indicated at a free kick he is not supposed to be doing this! Unlucky with injuries especially the midfield but why take Charsley off to put Wilson back there. Very disappointed but not surprised. I know DC started this formation but he had the ability to change it. Sadly I think we've missed our leader.

Agree with this.  I felt Taylor was worth a run out if AC wants to sub Charsley.  Have to say AC has done a fantastic job overall but looking at these last 3 games he’s changed the personnel mid second half and each time we’ve looked totally disjointed.  That said the game was won and lost over 90 minutes.  That’s 3 in a row where we’ve been out competed.  In any game you have to win the right to play your football.

One area that we could greatly improve on next season is the recruitment of loan players.  If we discount Lloyd that leaves Edmundson, Harratt, Holy and Cooper, none of them regulars, none of them tearing trees up. If you compare them to Azaz from Villa on loan to Newport, Bristol Rovers have Anderson from Newcastle and the CH from Stoke. These are loan players who shine week in week out, and the three mentioned are all potential Matchwinners. Room for improvement Flitters.

10 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Ha ha 

A sense of humour is the way forward! 

I started going to Vale in the 70s,then regularly in the 80s till the 2000s. A few seasons off due to childcare then started bringing my son in 2009 till Riberios disaster season.

Came to the first 2 games this season and we've only missed 6 home games since.

It's been much more enjoyable and I'm sad we've fallen just short. 

A fit Conlon,Proctor and Wilson all season  and I think we'd have done in.

However life goes on.

It's the ups and downs of being a Vale fan

Conlon has never and never will be fit for a whole season, and neither will any of Walker, Gibbo, Wilson or Proctor. Not one of them. Someone save this post and rub it in my face if ANY of them play 40+ next season. The “class but made of glass” concept will never work with that many players.

The most disappointing thing about today is the lack of reaction from our players when we go a goal down. No reaction at all to the opener, players walking around not closing down, no fight, grit or determination to get a foothold into the game and start playing.

It has basically taken a bollocking at halftime when the players were sent out very very early to get going for short spell until they conceded, again with no reaction. Where is the charecter? Can you imagine Bristol Rovers, Exteter, Mansfield or Northampton doing that? No me neither. Our lot just felt sorry for ourselves.

We have now lost 3 on spin, 2 against teams with absolutely <ovf censored> all to play for and they have shown more spirit, desire,aggression and have out worked us. <ovf censored> SHAMEFUL.

If we do make the playoffs I really don't see how we will progress any further.

The matrix needs to review its personality of people preference. I want to see a horrible bastard in the defence and midfield next season, someone who is going to smash people and dig players out when they go hiding.

We are a mentally weak team, without no No.1 GK, We don't have a player who can dribble and beat a man from midfield to make things happen and desperately lack pace. These areas will need to be addressed if we want to  finish higher than 8th!!!

Some big calls will be need in the summer to REFRESH this squad.

9 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

We are all annoyed tonight but lets just look at the DC situation and what he has gone through,family is far more important than any football match,plenty of people have passed away throughout this season,so i am trying to stay focussed on the important things in life.

Whatever  league we are in next season i will still be there,i have really enjoyed the majority of this season,lets just back them now and try to stay in the playoffs and then when all said and done anything can happen

Onwards and Upwards

A great Post, well said !

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Agree with this.  I felt Taylor was worth a run out if AC wants to sub Charsley.  Have to say AC has done a fantastic job overall but looking at these last 3 games he’s changed the personnel mid second half and each time we’ve looked totally disjointed.  That said the game was won and lost over 90 minutes.  That’s 3 in a row where we’ve been out competed.  In any game you have to win the right to play your football.

Exactly 

Charlsey was having a decent game why take him off 🤷‍♂️
If he does the same at Exeter it will be 4-0 

5 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

One area that we could greatly improve on next season is the recruitment of loan players.  If we discount Lloyd that leaves Edmundson, Harratt, Holy and Cooper, none of them regulars, none of them tearing trees up. If you compare them to Azaz from Villa on loan to Newport, Bristol Rovers have Anderson from Newcastle and the CH from Stoke. These are loan players who shine week in week out, and the three mentioned are all potential Matchwinners. Room for improvement Flitters.

What about cass and politic

Makes you wonder how the season would have gone if we kept hold of politic. Think we've lacked a genuine potential game changer since he left. Our team must be so easy to scout as it's so obvious the formation we are going to play and who will be playing.

I think the squad has a pretty solid core, but as others have said a bit of pace and stardust would take it further. Obviously on that note such a loss to be without conlon.

Archived