onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

Advert

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Predictable Port Vale bottlejob. The last three games has to rank amongst the largest collapse in the club's history. Stoke, Crewe, and Walsall fans are laughing at us, and rightly so. The last three games has been an embarrassment and an affront to the fans. Utterly diabolical performance. I had low expectations and I'm still disappointed. Not a single player emerges with credit, and some were outright shocking. Where were the leaders? Nathan Smith can't be allowed to touch the ball with his feet. Proctor seems to have collapsed in the last few. Distinctly second best against a team with 1 win in 8.

Another season in League 2, making it our longest run in the 4th tier since the late 1940s. I wouldn't have 'snapped your hand off' in August if you offered me 'go away to the title challengers and need a point to finish in 7th'. I've got a bit more ambition for my club in the lowest tier of professional football.

I'd have openly laughed in your face if you offered me this after Hartlepool. I'd have thought you'd lost it. Look at us now. 'Not being Oldham' isn't comfort for what has happened these last few weeks. We can all pick arbitrary dates and say 'well, it's better than what we expected then'. On Good Friday I was almost certain we were up. Shameful, shameful bottle.

A poor January shafted us. We had one January signing in the 11 today. 1 off the bench. 5 not featuring. A waste of a window which absolutely decimated squad depth. Three goalkeepers, and none of them good enough. What on earth is Stone doing before the corner for their 2nd?

We were desperate for a goal and all we had to add to the team was a 19 yo with 0 goals in 10 in non-league. Tried to be far too clever with this 'player trading' nonsense and ended up with a wafer-thin first 11 nearly entirely assembled in a good summer window, which crumbles when Brad Walker inevitably breaks down + no options off the bench + subpar goalkeepers.

I can't be as philosophical as some fans. 'Roll with the highs and lows, enjoy every moment'. Where are the highs? 6 seasons in 4th tier football? More adminstrations than promotions since I started attending in 2001? Bottling a 5 point lead with a series of abject performances against teams with nothing to play for, culminating with a dire display on Sky Sports. Being a Vale fan is just low after crushing low. I attended today with my 90yo Grandad and I want something to celebrate with him. We can't keep muttering 'next year!'. I'm sick of it. We had 90 minutes against a finished team, and in classic Vale fashion, bottled it.

Our home capacity being 8,700 is dreadful. Proper Barrow/Crawley territory. What has happened to our stadium? Rapid investment needed instead of refitting the tunnel and the Lorne Street getting new tellies.

I feel for the fans who queued up for hours and have spent a shedload on Exeter, for what is now a fairly pointless game. Feel for the lads who go into work/school Monday and, again, get ripped by gleeful rivals. Feel for Carol too. Serious inquest needed as to what has happened. 

We go again! Next year! Keep the Faith! ad infinitum. 

Why give up you are not out of it yet?

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Predictable Port Vale bottlejob. The last three games has to rank amongst the largest collapse in the club's history. Stoke, Crewe, and Walsall fans are laughing at us, and rightly so. The last three games has been an embarrassment and an affront to the fans. Utterly diabolical performance. I had low expectations and I'm still disappointed. Not a single player emerges with credit, and some were outright shocking. Where were the leaders? Nathan Smith can't be allowed to touch the ball with his feet. Proctor seems to have collapsed in the last few. 

Another season in League 2, making it our longest run in the 4th tier since the late 1940s. I wouldn't have 'snapped your hand off' in August if you offered me 'go away to the title challengers and need a point to finish in 7th'. I've got a bit more ambition for my club in the lowest tier of professional football.

I'd have openly laughed in your face if you offered me this after Hartlepool. I'd have thought you'd lost it. Look at us now. 'Not being Oldham' isn't comfort for what has happened these last few weeks. We can all pick arbitrary dates and say 'well, it's better than what we expected then'. On Good Friday I was almost certain we were up. Shameful, shameful bottle.

A poor January shafted us. We had one January signing in the 11 today. 1 off the bench. 5 not featuring. A waste of a window which absolutely decimated squad depth. Three goalkeepers, and none of them good enough. What on earth is Stone doing before the corner for their 2nd? We were desperate for a goal and all we had to add to the team was a 19 yo with 0 goals in 10 in non-league. Tried to be far too clever with this 'player trading' nonsense and ended up with a wafer-thin first 11 which crumbles when Brad Walker inevitably breaks down.

I can't be as philosophical as some fans. 'Roll with the highs and lows, enjoy every moment'. Where are the highs? 6 seasons in 4th tier football? More adminstrations than promotions since I started attending in 2001? Bottling a 5 point lead with a series of abject performances against teams with nothing to play for, culminating with a dire display on Sky Sports. I attended today with my 90yo Grandad and I want something to celebrate with him. We can't keep muttering 'next year!'. I'm sick of it. We had 90 minutes against a finished team, and in classic Vale fashion, bottled it.

Our home capacity being 8,700 is dreadful. Proper Barrow/Crawley territory. What has happened to our stadium? Rapid investment needed instead of refitting the tunnel and the Lorne Street getting new tellies.

I feel for the fans who queued up for hours and have spent a shedload on Exeter, for what is now a fairly pointless game. Feel for the lads who go into work/school Monday and, again, get ripped by gleeful rivals. Feel for Carol too. Serious inquest needed as to what has happened. 

We go again! Next year! Keep the Faith! ad infinitum. 

I'll agree with most of that, but a word for Smudge. Thought he was one of our better players in a terrible display, along with Garritty and Wilson. How Gibbo didn't start I don't know. Worrall has been poor for weeks. Hussey was abject at best, Charsley had his pants pulled down first half, and we just never got on the ball.

TC getting injured really looks like it's costing us, because nobody in the middle of the park can pass the ball forwards.

1 minute ago, PortVale4Life said:

He wasn’t that bad was he. How many actual goals were his fault. He’s been no worse than the other January signings other than hall

Rochdale he cost us two points by failing to get down to a shot he should have saved easily. Colchester he cost us the game and hasn’t played since. We went on that great run after he’d been dropped. 

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Azaz has that ability to pick it up and run with purpose, we have no-one like that. Not even Garrity has been doing that recently.

You are spot on picking Azaz out. What a wonderful footballer, he drove through us time and time again, his distribution was excellent and his finishing. We have no one on our books to compare 

2 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I'll agree with most of that, but a word for Smudge. Thought he was one of our better players in a terrible display, along with Garritty and Wilson. How Gibbo didn't start I don't know. Worrall has been poor for weeks. Hussey was abject at best, Charsley had his pants pulled down first half, and we just never got on the ball.

TC getting injured really looks like it's costing us, because nobody in the middle of the park can pass the ball forwards.

I like Smith as a defender. I don't like him on the ball. Playing the same role as Cass, who was superb on the ball, is a travesty. Newport actively gave Smith space, funnelling our attacks into our most limited player, hence him seeing (and doing so little with) the ball so much.

4 minutes ago, Gasmad said:

Why give up you are not out of it yet?

The last three performances. We made a finished Newport and Walsall look excellent. What will you guys, or Mansfield, or Swindon, do to us when we're playing like this?

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

I like Smith as a defender. I don't like him on the ball. Playing the same role as Cass, who was superb on the ball, is a travesty. Newport actively gave Smith space, funnelling our attacks into our most limited player, hence him seeing (and doing so little with) the ball so much.

Fair.

The crowd were a disgrace today. All the plastics booing every two minutes didn't help anyone. We looked nervous and bottled it, as you rightly say.

At the start of the season I expect no one thought we would be anywhere near play-offs let alone promotion. In the end fatigue and no plan B caught up with us. 
Let’s take heart with the efforts of DC & DF to put together a squad that have given us a season to cheer. Some tweaks and re-modelling and we will comeback stronger. Whilst the play-offs are still mathematically a possibility, let’s look forward and not backwards. When all is said and done, FGR & Exeter took several years to achieve their goal.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The last three performances. We made a finished Newport and Walsall look excellent. What will you guys, or Mansfield, or Swindon, do to us when we're playing like this?

Like Jimmy Greaves said footballs a funny old game utg 

Archived