• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Advert:

29 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There's very few people losing their minds, to be honest.

In a fanbase of circa 5,000 people, with 8-10,000 during good times, you're always going to find people who overreact a bit to defeats. It's simple averages. Humans react differently to things.

The vast majority of the Vale fanbase seem fairly sanguine - obviously very disappointed by the last two games and taking promotion out of our own hands, but hopeful we can still sneak it. If people weren't, I'd be worried. The last two games have been very poor.

The concept that Vale fans are this unique set of overreacting incontinents, however, is one you'll find in every single football fanbase in the world - fans who try to frame everything as good vs fans who frame everything is bad. Just life, innit. Neither are right. You'd hear the same nonsense 50 years ago, just down the pub. The internet has opened up everyone's opinions to everyone else. A good chunk of Vale fans don't use the internet so more 'negative' views will be magnified proportionally.

Vale fans are fairly normal, if a bit weird in how far they're willing to put up with what is a quite miserable existence in supporting Port Vale post-2000. Considering what's happened, I've always found them a fairly resolute and optimistic group.

Another excellent post joe b 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grand prix pants said:

What did you think of Louis Dodds Hamilboy? I have a theory that fans who didn’t get Doddsy don’t rate Wilson.

Look all i'm saying with all the hype of him i cannot see it yes he can control a ball in one touch he can sometimes see a pass before others but that is what pro footballers should be able to do.Louis Dodds was never an out and out striker he is here to play as one of our strikers all i say is get in the box more and put that bloody ball in the net

We’re fourth in the league. I’m sure we could easily get Theo Robinson and Kurtis Guthrie back if you’re that unhappy with how things are going.

Those three weeks we’ve spent this month in the automatic places have messed about with our heads, haven’t they?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Look all i'm saying with all the hype of him i cannot see it yes he can control a ball in one touch he can sometimes see a pass before others but that is what pro footballers should be able to do.Louis Dodds was never an out and out striker he is here to play as one of our strikers all i say is get in the box more and put that bloody ball in the net

James Wilson or Louis Dodds?

That seriously a debate???

• Like 1

Advert:

16 minutes ago, Santa said:

We’re fourth in the league. I’m sure we could easily get Theo Robinson and Kurtis Guthrie back if you’re that unhappy with how things are going.

Those three weeks we’ve spent this month in the automatic places have messed about with our heads, haven’t they?

Kurtis Guthrie is enjoying his time in India, there is an article in a national newspaper about him this week. Interesting comments about the state of football in England. 

Posted (edited)

Vale fans since time immortal have valued work rate over quality. You could be a Sunday league standard player, but as long as you run around a lot you'll hear "plays with a lot of heart", "love him - so much effort!"

Play like Wilson with real quality on the ball but less of the headless chicken and you're the first neck on the block when results are on the down. Just look at Constantine/Sodje. 

Edited by Walka003
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

He's been missing for part of the season, and has 11 goals (joint second top scorer) and 3 assists. He picks the ball up deep and links the midfield and attack. When him and proctor weren't available we were utterly hopeless.  

Garrity runs his knackers off and has one assist and the same amount of goals. So while all that effort he puts in is fantastic and harries other players, in tangible terms hes offered less attacking wise in a lot more minutes.

Who cares if the management take him off at 70 mins most week? More often than not he does the business in those 70 mins. 

(I will caveat this by saying i'm taking my stats from transfermrkt here, so if the above isn't 100%accurate I apologies, but the overarching point remains the same.)

8 in 39 in the league. He’s no world beater and spent Saturday having a go at other players after he lost the ball. Not fit enough either. garrity is a mid 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

8 in 39 in the league. He’s no world beater and spent Saturday having a go at other players after he lost the ball. Not fit enough either. garrity is a mid 

No one said he was a world beater. He'd still be at Man U if he was. But him and Proctor are league 1 players. We're lucky to have both.

I love Garrity, but for me to compare him to Wilson in any metric other than "running around", its not even a contest.

Edited by Walka003
  • Like 7

Advert:

36 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Vale fans since time immortal have valued work rate over quality. You could be a Sunday league standard player, but as long as you run around a lot you'll hear "plays with a lot of heart", "love him - so much effort!"

Play like Wilson with real quality on the ball but less of the headless chicken and you're the first neck on the block when results are on the down. Just look at Constantine/Sodje. 

Very true this post.

To be fair though, Wilson puts a shift in as well in my book.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Kurtis Guthrie is enjoying his time in India, there is an article in a national newspaper about him this week. Interesting comments about the state of football in England. 

Well I'm glad Guthrie has set us all straight on that one then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, eh up nah said:

Well I'm glad Guthrie has set us all straight on that one then.

When Kurtis speaks,  the whole footballing world sits up and takes notice. BTW, must be some piece of journalism by the "national" newspaper.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, hamilboy said:

I wasn’t having a go! Just interested.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

No one said he was a world beater. He'd still be at Man U if he was. But him and Proctor are league 1 players. We're lucky to have both.

I love Garrity, but for me to compare him to Wilson in any metric other than "running around", its not even a contest.

Proctor is league 1 Wilson is on his day not consistent enough. Garrity is league 2 but brings so much to the side and is more important than Wilson to our 11

Advert:

Proctor is league 1 Wilson is on his day not consistent enough. Garrity is league 2 but brings so much to the side and is more important than Wilson to our 11
We'll have to agree to disagree. If you brought Conlon in for Garrity and told Charsley to do what Garrity does, i think the quality in the middle would improve.

You drop Wilson for Edmundson/Harrett, we're a poorer team. That's the difference

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Osh said:

In my humble opinion I think Wilson is a class player (s is Proc and Garrity) his touch on the ball, at times, is sublime - the ball he played through to Jones against Rovers was pure class.  I can think of at least a dozen other such passes this season, likewise some of his shots.

He, and others, had a bad day at the office on Saturday.  Am I pissed off at that - yes.  Does that make him crap or over-hyped, no - not in my mind.

Perfectly put 👍

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Just inform me where did Mark Bright and Andy Jones come from.