• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Advert:

Vale should have got something out of that game as we had enough of the ball, particularly 1st half, according to BBC stats we had 59% of the possession.

Problem was we did nothing with the ball apart from pass it sideways and backwards short distances and for a team needing a win to keep auto promo in our own hands against a team like Walsall, who were there for the taking, it was not good enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Stop making excuses running on empty ffs every body in the league is in the same boat we were sh:te on Saturday end of 

We were shyite, mate, because half the squad are running on empty. A side doesnt just become shyite after so many times of proving on our day we are a match for anyone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Vale should have got something out of that game as we had enough of the ball, particularly 1st half, according to BBC stats we had 59% of the possession.

Problem was we did nothing with the ball apart from pass it sideways and backwards short distances and for a team needing a win to keep auto promo in our own hands against a team like Walsall, who were there for the taking, it was not good enough.

when your full back sends a wing pass out three times one after another=youve got problems. also one stage of play we played 11 passes (or thereabouts) across the pitch and not gain any yardage-you got problems. totally agree with you.😒:drink:

Having watched the last 2 games this 9 day break couldn't have come at a better time. We beat Newport we got a chance on the last day of season something we would have snapped peoples hands off after colchester.

Advert:

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Is there anything to the claims Vale fans 'attacked' kids?

The Walsall keeper was acting like a spoiled brat  in sarcastically applauding the Vale fans at FT. What a stupid thing to do. Gibbons should have smacked him. Idiot. 

3 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

We always over react after a win or a loss. As a fan base we do seem to get either very carried away or everything is doom and gloom.

Were the celebrations after the Hartlepool game a bit premature? I think we are probably a little bit guilty of thinking we were nearly there and it’s bit us on the bum. 

It’s disappointing, but it’s not over yet. I expected us to lose a game before the end of the season, we were never going to keep winning. What’s most frustrating is losing two on the bounce, when in a brilliant position. I’m sure there will be more twists and turns yet.

For me, we have lacked quality and creativity in midfield. Especially in games like yesterday. Obviously the injury to Conlon hasn’t helped. For example, Conlon still has the most assists this season (five), joint with Amoo and Gibbons. Those three have barely played all season. Garrity, Pett, Walker, Charsley have seven assists between them. 

If we do make the play offs, then so be it. The season continues and we are still in contention for promotion. Just go and win the play offs and prove we are promotion worthy. 

Having had time reflect on posts yesterday bit OTT and didn't realise that even if Northampton win and we win next mon that it would go to final game so hope yet .

Looked at remaining teams unless massive goal swing only Swindon if win all 3 and we not gain the 2 points we need for play offs can oust us out the play offs so that's good but I think maybe there's a twist to come yet .

We need to be getting all the players fired up win our 2 remaining games .

We need to find a formation to be getting shots away all the next 2 games .

That's the surprising thing about yesterday the lack of desire to get the ball in there net .

Walsall defo got a big bogey over us there's no way we should be losing to average sides like them 

UTV 

7 hours ago, jeffers said:

If we miss out it’s not down to any individual, it’s a team game and they all take the responsibilities for Oldham away, Sutton away to name but two. As it stands, we keep going until the last minute.

Just thinking that this morning, if we hadn’t thrown those two games away we would be 6 points better off now.

9 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The downside is that if Exeter beat Barrow on Tuesday they are up and the Northampton game means nothing to them.

That said, it’s a funny old game football… anything could happen.

KTF

UTV

Exeter's record V's Northamton lost 56 drawn 34 won 30 but you never know, let's hope footy funny has a part to play.

8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Would be a 5 all round, maybe Charsley shaded Man of the match with a 6 

Don't want to get into individual criticism but one or two in particular were really poor and below recent standards 

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'm as disappointed as the next man. Feel really despondent. 

But we have to try and be balanced. 

I've read Wilson getting slated, absolutely ridiculous.  

And bizarrely the Covolan sending off 43 games ago could be the reason we miss out ! Again a player who has been criticised regularly, strange that  Conlon red v Walsall at home not mentioned. Every individual game has a moment of what if. 

If we miss out we miss out I'll be gutted as its a missed opportunity. I want to see the Hamil full of 4000 Derby and Wednesday not 84 Stevenage and 133 Sutton etc. 

But I don't think singling individuals is helpful. Benning another, he was poor yesterday but the whole team were collectively but people can't wait to dig him. 

Oh well onto the next fixtures where all we can do is sit and hope until the Monday 

Wilson was a joke yesterday. Don’t appreciate players losing the ball all game and then blaming team mates. So over rated it’s unbelievable 

• Confused 1

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Just thinking that this morning, if we hadn’t thrown those two games away we would be 6 points better off now.

Yes, and  Rochdale away. We could have easily got at least a point at Colchester also. Oh well. 

Seen a few comments about 'walking wounded' and 'injuries', but who are we missing bar Conlon and Walker?

Gibbons only made the bench, but I'm struggling to think of any others. That's quite a modest injury list.

The issue yesterday, and throughout this season, is that we haven't been a top three team when there is a bit of pressure on us (Bradford on TV, Walsall at home, Oldham away, the last two). That's fine; 4th-7th is a good season by any metric, but still will go down as a massive bottlejob/missed opportunity considering our position with 4 games to go, and we may regret it big time next season. Both interpretations can be true simultaneously. 

I think the team needs a slight refresh ahead of these last two; recalls for Gibbons, Hussey, and Jones, maybe even Lucas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

We were shyite, mate, because half the squad are running on empty. A side doesnt just become shyite after so many times of proving on our day we are a match for anyone.

Have Walsall played less games than us stop making excuses 2many games 2many injuries the pitch is energy sapping it was windy players running on empty ffs 

51 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Have Walsall played less games than us stop making excuses 2many games 2many injuries the pitch is energy sapping it was windy players running on empty ffs 

Yes but the area of the pitch where we look tired/ needs freshing up is in the wing back areas which is no surprise if u anyone has ever played there as it's a energy sapping position. We either ditch the system go 442 or get one or 2 fresh legs out there either Gibbo or Hussey coming in as Benning looks shot m8. My guess is this will be what will happen for the newport game rather than changing the system.

Advert:

Posted (edited)

I think the players need have a long hard look at themselves .

Why have you stopped doing what got you into the top 3 in the first place .

Do you want it enough 2 shots on target and 2 off would suggest you do not .

What you going do about stopping this at the most critical time slump .

Why are you putting in your worst home performance bar Walsall when Carol and Kevin and the management and yourselves have brought our first big gate for years .

Hope Flitcrofts going be asking these questions tomoz and getting some answers then they all can watch the game again from  sat and ask themselves this What the hell was that then put it right with performances like Forest Green away and Leyton Orient at home then who knows anythings possible 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

4 hours ago, PortVale4Life said:

Wilson was a joke yesterday. Don’t appreciate players losing the ball all game and then blaming team mates. So over rated it’s unbelievable 

It's about time somebody has the same thoughts on Wilson as me he is one of the most hyped up players the vale have ever had.Some say he is a lanquid type of player oh he has played for man u he has scored for man u he is far to good to play in this league we are lucky to have him in at our club <ovf censored>.I will ask one question one stat of his how many times has he stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes in a match.I am pissed off with people home and away keep telling me his first touch is great he is way to good for this league well let me tell you this he is where he is a player according to some who say has no skill is leading him in the goals scored for the club Ben Garrity.If Wilson had the same desire and heart for a battle as Garrity does he would be some player but you carn't teach that it's born inside you and i'm afraid it's not in James Wilson lanquid indeed.

• Like 2