• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Advert:

I think some people are focusing so much on Northampton that they forget all the top 7 still have a realistic chance of finishing 3rd. 
We could in theory kick off the Newport game in 7th place but finish the day in 3rd (or anywhere in between).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Benning wasn’t injured in that game and wasn’t carrying an injury yesterday either. He’s filled in well to be fair to him and looked a lot more lively in games than he did in the early part of the season. But now Hussey and Gibbo are back then he shouldn’t play. Worralls been off form for the last handful of games as well.

I just think we’ve ran out of steam at the wrong time.

I don’t buy into some of the stick they’re getting on here, bottlers and stuff like that. It’s just knee jerk after the game reaction. I really hate the gloating  that some fans do when things go wrong, the told you so mentality. I don’t understand why some people revel in us performing badly. 

If not injured against Bristol Rovers why, in the second half chasing an eminently reachable ball towards the Bycars End, did Benning give up 10 yards short in front of the Railway Paddock. He then quietly felt his left hamstring. And felt it again 2 or 3 times in the following minute or two. I don't recall him going on a full out sprint after that.

I agree that we should be playing fully fit players, but we all know that players sometimes do play with knocks or little match fitness, especially in crucial games with not many left to play. And fully fit players in the team can sometimes make you wish they weren't.

I also agree with you about the massive overreaction to the last two results. I think it says more about how people deal with their disappointment than the actual playing performance. Not our finest 3 hours plus but we have to give credit to the other team. We haven't been absolutely smashing teams, every game is competitive, and we have had some long overdue rub of the green recently.

Having said all that I do think we're one of the best clubs in the division. My confidence / optimism has taken a knock, but it's not over until... (insert cliche of your choice here.)

• Like 1

Advert:

40 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Is there anything to the claims Vale fans 'attacked' kids?

I can’t say if it was true or not because I didn’t see it, although it’s been mentioned by Walsall fans in a fit of whataboutery trying to defend their own knob heads taunting a grieving man. 

9 minutes ago, Santa said:

I can’t say if it was true or not because I didn’t see it, although it’s been mentioned by Walsall fans in a fit of whataboutery trying to defend their own knob heads taunting a grieving man. 

Sounds about right.

We always over react after a win or a loss. As a fan base we do seem to get either very carried away or everything is doom and gloom.

Were the celebrations after the Hartlepool game a bit premature? I think we are probably a little bit guilty of thinking we were nearly there and it’s bit us on the bum. 

It’s disappointing, but it’s not over yet. I expected us to lose a game before the end of the season, we were never going to keep winning. What’s most frustrating is losing two on the bounce, when in a brilliant position. I’m sure there will be more twists and turns yet.

For me, we have lacked quality and creativity in midfield. Especially in games like yesterday. Obviously the injury to Conlon hasn’t helped. For example, Conlon still has the most assists this season (five), joint with Amoo and Gibbons. Those three have barely played all season. Garrity, Pett, Walker, Charsley have seven assists between them. 

If we do make the play offs, then so be it. The season continues and we are still in contention for promotion. Just go and win the play offs and prove we are promotion worthy. 

• Like 2

Just watched the highlights , and it was as painful as watching it live.

Its actually annoyed me more if thats possible.

Absolutely crap performance against a really crap team.

We got what we deserved, nothing.

Im expecting a HUGE performance v Newport, I wont be happy unless we beat them 10-0

• Haha 1

I think there is an overreaction to the last 2 performances, I dont think there was a great difference in the performance to the wins we had at say the narrow wins at Barrow, Hartlepool, Salford the home draw against Exeter all tight games that we managed to edge, the big difference being we conceded one goal in those 4 games, we have conceded 5 in the last 2, struggled in central midfield against bristol rovers with no holding midfielder and then against walsall we are rushing people back when not fit. I have also noticed that the last 2 games teams have exploited our 3 centre halves pulling them out all over place and we not dealing with the recycled ball back into the box. Teams know we are attacking getting one of the 3 to join in and press high and they are hitting us on the break exploiting us leaving us 2 on 2 at times. Maybe I am over analysing it but it's something that happened alot against bristol rovers and again second half on Saturday. Maybe we have been worked out.

• Like 1

Advert:

27 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

We always over react after a win or a loss. As a fan base we do seem to get either very carried away or everything is doom and gloom.

Were the celebrations after the Hartlepool game a bit premature? I think we are probably a little bit guilty of thinking we were nearly there and it’s bit us on the bum. 

It’s disappointing, but it’s not over yet. I expected us to lose a game before the end of the season, we were never going to keep winning. What’s most frustrating is losing two on the bounce, when in a brilliant position. I’m sure there will be more twists and turns yet.

For me, we have lacked quality and creativity in midfield. Especially in games like yesterday. Obviously the injury to Conlon hasn’t helped. For example, Conlon still has the most assists this season (five), joint with Amoo and Gibbons. Those three have barely played all season. Garrity, Pett, Walker, Charsley have seven assists between them. 

If we do make the play offs, then so be it. The season continues and we are still in contention for promotion. Just go and win the play offs and prove we are promotion worthy. 

For the fans and the owners we are very promotion worthy this season but if we land in the play -offs we have as much chance of winning as Boris has of refusing to go a party

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EricHamesis said:

If not injured against Bristol Rovers why, in the second half chasing an eminently reachable ball towards the Bycars End, did Benning give up 10 yards short in front of the Railway Paddock. He then quietly felt his left hamstring. And felt it again 2 or 3 times in the following minute or two. I don't recall him going on a full out sprint after that.

He isnt injured. We don’t play players who fans think have some kind of hamstring strain. A strain leads to a tear which leads to weeks out. 

Edited by PV1973

46 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He isnt injured. We don’t play players who fans think have some kind of hamstring strain. A strain leads to a tear which leads to weeks out. 

It's pretty clear from the last few games that some of our squad are running almost on empty after a hard, bruising season. They may not be injured but playing regularly when not actually match fit surely is recognisable to our opponents. We know we are a match for anyone WHEN fit but we can be found out so easily when the squad is struggling.  We have to now pray results go our way as play offs are not honestly wanted by any Valiant. Our hearts won't take it!

8 hours ago, philmpv said:
8 hours ago, Hoppers said:
Anyone know how get fence paint in a sprayer without tipping  the paint on the patio - im on such a b@llocking when Mrs Hoppers emerges from her pit 

Should have put and old towel down first mate. Been there. Worst day of my life when I spilt some paint on the new carpet

oh no mate thats worse than me 👍😁 - Mrs Hoppers came out as I was power washing the patio "thought you were painting the fence today?" "No sweetheart, its too windy" 😍😍😍😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oh no mate thats worse than me - Mrs Hoppers came out as I was power washing the patio "thought you were painting the fence today?" "No sweetheart, its too windy"
It actually worked out well in the end. I haven't been asked to paint in 3 years since
  • Haha 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, hamilboy said:

For the fans and the owners we are very promotion worthy this season but if we land in the play -offs we have as much chance of winning as Boris has of refusing to go a party

Like I said....keep the faith. However I can see a Brizzle Rovers v PV play off final looming! 

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

It's pretty clear from the last few games that some of our squad are running almost on empty after a hard, bruising season. They may not be injured but playing regularly when not actually match fit surely is recognisable to our opponents. We know we are a match for anyone WHEN fit but we can be found out so easily when the squad is struggling.  We have to now pray results go our way as play offs are not honestly wanted by any Valiant. Our hearts won't take it!

Stop making excuses running on empty ffs every body in the league is in the same boat we were sh:te on Saturday end of 

• Like 1