• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

30 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

My hope for Exeter is that they are already promoted but cannot be Champions, so apart from kudos and win bonus have nothing to play for.

I think teams around us still have to play each other. Rovers v Forest Green this weekend, Northampton v Exeter the weekend after and I'm sure there are more. There are so many variables, and I'm sure some twists still to come.

• Like 1

Advert:

6 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

The only player that I can think of to fill the DM role would be Garrity,as our other midfielders are more attacking or IMO don’t have the physical capability to perform the role well. 

Ask oldham fans what they thought of him when he played that roll for them.

3 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Looking at the fixtures that remain if we win against walsall and newport it forces others to win all there remaining matches i carn't see that happening they will drop points.

Every game gets bigger and bigger,  hold your nerve Vale.

• Like 1

Advert:

Our system really does depend on a dm that can pass. It actually helps our wing backs get higher up the pitch having some adept at picking the ball off the defence and spraying it wide.

Pett has great positional sense, disrupts play and is very good at recycling the ball and making himself available.

Walker gives us more of a physical presence and can stretch play abit more from deep with his long range passing.

In terms of our known 'fit' players:

Garrity would be the best at tackling. Would pick him if we expect a game where we are up against it and need to grind out a result. However i dont think he would be good enough at spreading the ball about and getting us moving forwards.

Taylor is the best on the ball but would only play him at DM if we are playing a team we can dominate everywhere else on the pitch. Compare his cameo vs hartlepool and game vs rovers. Walsall will be fiery and attritional and the danger is that he is too lightweight to do the defensive side of how we play a dm.

Which leads us to Charsley. In my opionion i think he is the most similar to a pett or walker in that he has more of an 'all round game'. Not sure whether he has played DM before though. I'd be trying it out in training this week.

• Like 1

Could  Harry  Charsley fill in at  DM?

I like Harry Charsley, but unless running the channel and winning a free kick , he’s a bit light weight for a defensive holding role .

I’d rather Jones in there to start keep it solid

Always introduce Taylor if we need a goal.

16 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

I like Harry Charsley, but unless running the channel and winning a free kick , he’s a bit light weight for a defensive holding role .

I’d rather Jones in there to start keep it solid

Always introduce Taylor if we need a goal.

I think that maybe a sensible possibility but we need to ensure we press them high up the pitch but I fear Taylor may not have the fitness to do that at the moment but we need goals early to force them out and finish them off🤞 I fancy a2-1 win and Northampton and Swindon struggling and hoping Newport get nothing at Colchester tonight and  

15 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

I think that maybe a sensible possibility but we need to ensure we press them high up the pitch but I fear Taylor may not have the fitness to do that at the moment but we need goals early to force them out and finish them off🤞 I fancy a2-1 win and Northampton and Swindon struggling and hoping Newport get nothing at Colchester tonight and  

I think I would prefer to see Jones in DM, he worries me a little with his passes back on Monday but his long passing is as good as Walker's, which would bring Woz and Benning into play a bit more, his long throws are better than the corners that are being put in currently too. Hall and Proctor to aim for, it's just a shame he's been out for so long, so his general fitness might not be where it needs to be.

I don't blame him for the miss on Monday either, I've watched it back, the run he makes sensing Wilson will pull it back and slot it into him was great, he's not a striker but if he'd have gone right  with the ball instead of left he would have just needed to knock past their last man, a shame but he'd done well with the run.

• Like 2

Advert:

The midfield issue is making me feel nauseous and keeping me up at night ..

I just hope they made a decision in training today and then have the rest of the week to work on it

Hopefully Tom Pett … who’s fit to play

• Like 1

Just seen the Nigel Clough interview. 

Apparently they have had bad decisions since the 3rd game of the season against Colchester!

He says we should have had Garrity sent off v Oldham,and Proctor handballed it at Hartlepool.

When a manager is analysing decisions of other teams,and moaning about decisions 40 games ago,you know they are getting desperate.

I'll stick with Andy Crosby. Doesn't give too much away,doesn't blame the ref,just gets on with it and plays the cards he is dealt.

One game at a time

• Like 8

The only player that I can think of to fill the DM role would be Garrity,as our other midfielders are more attacking or IMO don’t have the physical capability to perform the role well. 
Unfortunately he's just technically not quite good enough to play in that role. When he has played deeper this season he has looked dreadful. He's better playing on instinct further forward, where you don't have to read the game so well.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert:

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

Just seen the Nigel Clough interview. 

Apparently they have had bad decisions since the 3rd game of the season against Colchester!

He says we should have had Garrity sent off v Oldham,and Proctor handballed it at Hartlepool.

When a manager is analysing decisions of other teams,and moaning about decisions 40 games ago,you know they are getting desperate.

I'll stick with Andy Crosby. Doesn't give too much away,doesn't blame the ref,just gets on with it and plays the cards he is dealt.

One game at a time

What a moaning sod he is. Grow a pair and get on with it. At the end of the season if you are good enough you get promoted. All teams could plead a case for poor refs, bad luck and dodgy decisions. Glad we have our management. If we don't make it I'm sure we won't hear any sob stories. The table never lies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1