onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

We look tired and we have some players that have just come back from injury that arnt up to speed yet. Benning was awful yesterday kept kicking it into touch. Set pieces have been poor last few games too. Amoo looks uninterested and a player that knows he won't be at this club next season. Even hall who has been a rock since signing for us yesterday had a poor game. It's always the same against Walsall you know you have lost the match before a ball is kicked. If we play them next season they will get 6 points of us again.

Advert

57 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I know everyone is disappointed and probably more to do with the fact performance levels have dipped and the players look tired having put all the effort into grinding out some big wins rather than it's out of our own hands. The fact we have a rest now until a week on monday may help us and now exeter and Northampton have to deal with the pressure. Its quite possible we will win against newport as like us they are in poor form and we need to win and unlike walsall they do tend to concede alot of goals which I think is a defense we can exploit. We do tend to struggle against teams who just sit in as we have a lack of quality in midfield to break teams down, with alot of chances we make created by our centre forward Wilson. I for one have not lost the faith, let's see what the other teams do in the next few days and let's put a great performance in front if the sky cameras for our last home game. 

When you play like we did yesterday which was a shocker it’s easy to say the players looked tired or blame injuries every team is tired to some extent they’ve all played 43/44 games all got players missing through injuries and suspensions Walsall had nothing to play for and still outfought us yesterday was embarrassing no excuses 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The downside is that if Exeter beat Barrow on Tuesday they are up and the Northampton game means nothing to them

If we beat Barrow, we’ll want to be Champions. We’ve only ever been champions of a division once in our history, our players will want to do it this year. We’ll definitely be trying against Northampton.

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Benning wasn’t injured in that game and wasn’t carrying an injury yesterday either. He’s filled in well to be fair to him and looked a lot more lively in games than he did in the early part of the season. But now Hussey and Gibbo are back then he shouldn’t play. Worralls been off form for the last handful of games as well.

I just think we’ve ran out of steam at the wrong time.

I don’t buy into some of the stick they’re getting on here, bottlers and stuff like that. It’s just knee jerk after the game reaction. I really hate the gloating  that some fans do when things go wrong, the told you so mentality. I don’t understand why some people revel in us performing badly. 

If not injured against Bristol Rovers why, in the second half chasing an eminently reachable ball towards the Bycars End, did Benning give up 10 yards short in front of the Railway Paddock. He then quietly felt his left hamstring. And felt it again 2 or 3 times in the following minute or two. I don't recall him going on a full out sprint after that.

I agree that we should be playing fully fit players, but we all know that players sometimes do play with knocks or little match fitness, especially in crucial games with not many left to play. And fully fit players in the team can sometimes make you wish they weren't.

I also agree with you about the massive overreaction to the last two results. I think it says more about how people deal with their disappointment than the actual playing performance. Not our finest 3 hours plus but we have to give credit to the other team. We haven't been absolutely smashing teams, every game is competitive, and we have had some long overdue rub of the green recently.

Having said all that I do think we're one of the best clubs in the division. My confidence / optimism has taken a knock, but it's not over until... (insert cliche of your choice here.)

40 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Is there anything to the claims Vale fans 'attacked' kids?

I can’t say if it was true or not because I didn’t see it, although it’s been mentioned by Walsall fans in a fit of whataboutery trying to defend their own knob heads taunting a grieving man. 

9 minutes ago, Santa said:

I can’t say if it was true or not because I didn’t see it, although it’s been mentioned by Walsall fans in a fit of whataboutery trying to defend their own knob heads taunting a grieving man. 

Sounds about right.

We always over react after a win or a loss. As a fan base we do seem to get either very carried away or everything is doom and gloom.

Were the celebrations after the Hartlepool game a bit premature? I think we are probably a little bit guilty of thinking we were nearly there and it’s bit us on the bum. 

It’s disappointing, but it’s not over yet. I expected us to lose a game before the end of the season, we were never going to keep winning. What’s most frustrating is losing two on the bounce, when in a brilliant position. I’m sure there will be more twists and turns yet.

For me, we have lacked quality and creativity in midfield. Especially in games like yesterday. Obviously the injury to Conlon hasn’t helped. For example, Conlon still has the most assists this season (five), joint with Amoo and Gibbons. Those three have barely played all season. Garrity, Pett, Walker, Charsley have seven assists between them. 

If we do make the play offs, then so be it. The season continues and we are still in contention for promotion. Just go and win the play offs and prove we are promotion worthy. 

I think there is an overreaction to the last 2 performances, I dont think there was a great difference in the performance to the wins we had at say the narrow wins at Barrow, Hartlepool, Salford the home draw against Exeter all tight games that we managed to edge, the big difference being we conceded one goal in those 4 games, we have conceded 5 in the last 2, struggled in central midfield against bristol rovers with no holding midfielder and then against walsall we are rushing people back when not fit. I have also noticed that the last 2 games teams have exploited our 3 centre halves pulling them out all over place and we not dealing with the recycled ball back into the box. Teams know we are attacking getting one of the 3 to join in and press high and they are hitting us on the break exploiting us leaving us 2 on 2 at times. Maybe I am over analysing it but it's something that happened alot against bristol rovers and again second half on Saturday. Maybe we have been worked out.

27 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

We always over react after a win or a loss. As a fan base we do seem to get either very carried away or everything is doom and gloom.

Were the celebrations after the Hartlepool game a bit premature? I think we are probably a little bit guilty of thinking we were nearly there and it’s bit us on the bum. 

It’s disappointing, but it’s not over yet. I expected us to lose a game before the end of the season, we were never going to keep winning. What’s most frustrating is losing two on the bounce, when in a brilliant position. I’m sure there will be more twists and turns yet.

For me, we have lacked quality and creativity in midfield. Especially in games like yesterday. Obviously the injury to Conlon hasn’t helped. For example, Conlon still has the most assists this season (five), joint with Amoo and Gibbons. Those three have barely played all season. Garrity, Pett, Walker, Charsley have seven assists between them. 

If we do make the play offs, then so be it. The season continues and we are still in contention for promotion. Just go and win the play offs and prove we are promotion worthy. 

For the fans and the owners we are very promotion worthy this season but if we land in the play -offs we have as much chance of winning as Boris has of refusing to go a party

1 hour ago, EricHamesis said:

If not injured against Bristol Rovers why, in the second half chasing an eminently reachable ball towards the Bycars End, did Benning give up 10 yards short in front of the Railway Paddock. He then quietly felt his left hamstring. And felt it again 2 or 3 times in the following minute or two. I don't recall him going on a full out sprint after that.

He isnt injured. We don’t play players who fans think have some kind of hamstring strain. A strain leads to a tear which leads to weeks out. 

Archived