onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

Why will they?? They are likely to already be promoted by the time they play. 
Let’s face it, yesterday was a must not lose after Brizzle. But that’s exactly what we did.
I’d love to know how we’ve allowed an apparently average (at best) Walsall side to completely dominate us over both games this season, one of which was our biggest game for years.
Yes I get injuries, but we’re not completely down to the bare bones. We seemingly learned nothing from the home game which, scoreline aside, was a drubbing. 
Did we adopt tactics that BR used on us on Monday - niggly, slowing the game down, basically doing anything to get a result? I suspect I know the answer.
Another big Vale following, like Oldham away, and we seemingly wilt under pressure. That is why people are using terms like ‘bottlers’.
Anyway, the game is gone.
Northampton will win on Saturday let’s not kid ourselves.
I would be inclined to mix it up a bit versus Newport to try and work out a Plan B, which we are seemingly devoid off at the moment.
A prey we don’t get Swindon in the Play-Offs so we can have McKirdy rubbing our noses in it again.

Exeter will still have the title to play for next weekend if they win midweek, if they don’t win midweek then they will need a result for promotion.

Twists and turns to come and pressure is on the Cobblers now.

No guarantee of beating Barrow away either on their current form.

Advert

I know everyone is disappointed myself included. Injuries and the goalkeeping have been our down fall along with DCs terrible situation. We only have 5 players on 30 + games compared to FGR who have 12 . We really have done well considering the odds have been stacked against us. I just hope we can find a last final effort and get promoted. 

11 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Give us some marks m8 was it a collective load of crap or did some players play well and were let down by others .

2 on target attempts on target 2 goals Bristol Rovers 4 3  goals etc 

Poor to say the least .

Would be a 5 all round, maybe Charsley shaded Man of the match with a 6 

Don't want to get into individual criticism but one or two in particular were really poor and below recent standards 

Having witnessed some fantastic performances of late, this game was a bitter disappointment. Do we miss Brad Walker so much? He has positivity and directness in his play, today we lacked quality, composure , aggression looked a spent force. The final ball and play in the final third was abysmal. Many had poor games, Proctor had his worst game in a Vale shirt. We have a strong side, we need to see it.

How many injuries are we carrying? I was shocked at how poor we were in and out of possession. We are not 'bottlers' as some say, maybe a little predictable.

Disappointment aside, we need changes, we need aggression from the off against Newport. It's not over till it's over as they say. keep the faith. UTV

I thought yesterday we had really ran out of steam, the amount of games to catch up is starting to show and also a nervousness that’s been evident since Salford. We’ve been off it since that game despite wins against Oldham and Hartlepool covering the cracks to a degree.

It was a massive let down with the crowd and occasion and in their cup final it was going to be tougher than their position suggests. That said both times they’ve been pretty poor opposition on the day and we’ve not laid a glove. First half I felt we had the best chances but second half we just died off, Benning had a mare certainly going forwards and even Proctor was ineffective.

The bonus is Bristol Rovers are still behind us as they have a relatively routine couple of games left, Northampton have to host Exeter and travel to an in form Barrow so I do still think further twists will happen, it’s then about if we can take advantage of that, it could end up with a four way battle on the last day between us, Northampton, Bristol Rovers and Mansfield!

I was really worked up after Rovers but oddly feel more at ease this morning, it being out our hands feels like a weight lifted in a bizarre way as gutting as it is and can be more level minded on it.

Thanks to Sky we probably have a chance as 9 days is a good break to stew on it and rest and recover at the same time. Give them a few days off, maybe until Wednesday/Thursday and then prep and go again for Monday.

I do think we will beat Newport but obviously would have rather not needed a result at Exeter! But still a reasonable chance we go there with it in our own hands again.

Either way a solid finish of 4 points to restore confidence for the play offs is the minimum really so we are in the right place to attack that challenge if it comes down to it.

56 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The downside is that if Exeter beat Barrow on Tuesday they are up and the Northampton game means nothing to them.

That said, it’s a funny old game football… anything could happen.

KTF

UTV

Yes it will, they could be going for the top spot

16 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

You know having to play Barrow away won’t be an easy final one for them either. Barrow will want to end the season on a high and as safe, will maybe play with freedom. Long journey for Northampton too.

They'll be in a hotel mate as Vale were. 

Let's just hope Barrow get something at exeter in the week highly unlikely now Barrow are safe then at least it's back in our own hands again. 2 wins and we are promoted but clearly we need improve vastly both defensively and in attack if we are to beat a newport and a very good Exeter team.

I'm as disappointed as the next man. Feel really despondent. 

But we have to try and be balanced. 

I've read Wilson getting slated, absolutely ridiculous.  

And bizarrely the Covolan sending off 43 games ago could be the reason we miss out ! Again a player who has been criticised regularly, strange that  Conlon red v Walsall at home not mentioned. Every individual game has a moment of what if. 

If we miss out we miss out I'll be gutted as its a missed opportunity. I want to see the Hamil full of 4000 Derby and Wednesday not 84 Stevenage and 133 Sutton etc. 

But I don't think singling individuals is helpful. Benning another, he was poor yesterday but the whole team were collectively but people can't wait to dig him. 

Oh well onto the next fixtures where all we can do is sit and hope until the Monday 

56 minutes ago, bomber said:

I know everyone is disappointed myself included. Injuries and the goalkeeping have been our down fall along with DCs terrible situation. We only have 5 players on 30 + games compared to FGR who have 12 . We really have done well considering the odds have been stacked against us. I just hope we can find a last final effort and get promoted. 

That really is a telling stat. 

I know everyone is disappointed and probably more to do with the fact performance levels have dipped and the players look tired having put all the effort into grinding out some big wins rather than it's out of our own hands. The fact we have a rest now until a week on monday may help us and now exeter and Northampton have to deal with the pressure. Its quite possible we will win against newport as like us they are in poor form and we need to win and unlike walsall they do tend to concede alot of goals which I think is a defense we can exploit. We do tend to struggle against teams who just sit in as we have a lack of quality in midfield to break teams down, with alot of chances we make created by our centre forward Wilson. I for one have not lost the faith, let's see what the other teams do in the next few days and let's put a great performance in front if the sky cameras for our last home game. 

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Why will they?? They are likely to already be promoted by the time they play. 

Let’s face it, yesterday was a must not lose after Brizzle. But that’s exactly what we did.

I’d love to know how we’ve allowed an apparently average (at best) Walsall side to completely dominate us over both games this season, one of which was our biggest game for years.

Yes I get injuries, but we’re not completely down to the bare bones. We seemingly learned nothing from the home game which, scoreline aside, was a drubbing. 

Did we adopt tactics that BR used on us on Monday - niggly, slowing the game down, basically doing anything to get a result? I suspect I know the answer.

Another big Vale following, like Oldham away, and we seemingly wilt under pressure. That is why people are using terms like ‘bottlers’.

Anyway, the game is gone.

Northampton will win on Saturday let’s not kid ourselves.

I would be inclined to mix it up a bit versus Newport to try and work out a Plan B, which we are seemingly devoid off at the moment.

A prey we don’t get Swindon in the Play-Offs so we can have McKirdy rubbing our noses in it again.

Forest Green haven't had much to play for for a good while now and got a draw at Bristol yesterday.  Good sides are never easy to get results against, whether fully at it or not.

What's to say Northampton won't crumble now they're third?

And, I fully agree, the performance yesterday was a shocker.  Hated it!  Dare say I used the phrase bottled it as well yesterday, as I thought we did exactly that.

But, we can only dust ourselves off and go again.

Archived