onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

I'm home now. After 40 plus years of supporting Vale you would think I should know better. But no, today was embarrassing and abject. From the 1st whistle Vale were crap, uninterested and frankly woeful. Not one squad member put in any kind of performance.   We were sadly miles off the pace, lacked any formation and didn't appear to want to try infront of the wonderful Vale fans. I came away resigned to the fact we have all been conned and hoodwinked. That was a performance  from  a relegation team, not someone pretending to want to be promoted. Gutted. Shame on you the whole squad, you were absolutely pathetic and that is coming from a true Valiant. Hope the players can sleep tonight because I certainly can't.  

Advert

I find the ridicule of disappointed fans very harsh. ‘Bottom lips wobbling’ and ‘state of you’.

We’ve had an absolutely horrendous 20 years and, for the first time, we were given concrete hope a couple of weeks ago, only for it to fall apart following a couple of bottling performances in truly predictable Vale fashion. 

The idea that Port Vale fans, treated to one top 6 finish in 30 years and more administrations than promotions, should stoically accept chucking away a 5 point gap over 4th with 4 games to go is ridiculous. If we fall in the playoffs, it’ll feel like yet another crushing kick in the teeth in the life of any Vale under the age of 30, as Stoke and Crewe fans cackle with glee. Kids who’ve only ever had the mickey taken out of them, trudging into school for another year of it.

Overreaction and disappointment is to be expected tonight. Everyone will calm down but the ‘everything is positive all the time forever’ (how I envy them) lads should be a tad more considerate of Vale fans who’ve had precious little to celebrate having a crumb of success dangled in front of them and them seemingly snatched away.

Fingers crossed for Newport. This week will hurt and I don’t want to consider the disappointment if we face Crawley and Stevenage away yet again and a postwar record length of stay in the 4th tier. 

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

At the start of the season I would have said that is about right for the team. Not an over-achievement not under.

With a large turnover of players in the Summer to creep into the POs was my expectation, to overcome the various hurdles is an achievement.  Whether Lady Luck will shine on us who knows? After another transfer period I would hope we will have a stronger team capable of a stronger promotion bid or holding our own in L1

1 minute ago, ValeForever. said:

Worth remembering it takes most teams a few seasons of knocking on the door before sealing a promotion. FG have been building for 4 years, Exeter have been in the playoffs several times over past few years. Very very few teams go from being at risk of slipping out of the league (as we were last season), to achieving promotion the very next year.

I would have bitten your hand off for playoffs & will be delighted if we bag our place. When alls said & done & you take everything thay has happened this year into account, the club as a whole has done us proud to be in with a snigg at promotion. 

If Northampton drop points against Exeter next week, we need a win at home against Newport to take us back into 3rd place. All ifs & buts... but we could then be looking at needing a win on the last day to seal automatic promotion. Keep the faith. We're not at our best but we've now got 9 days rest before we go again, & we need every single one of those days!

For me at the start of the season I thought play-offs minimum, the league is so average and not sure why people seem to think we would have over achieved, yes we have had bad luck with the injuries and tragedy with what has happened to the manager but sure all clubs have suffered bad injuries, Exeter in the last month had a load out as well, you have to get on with it.  Everyone going on that we are assured of the play-offs, if Swindon win next 2 games, we could be a point clear of 8th when we play Newport.

55 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If we finish 4th-5th and lose in the playoffs semis, are fans happy? Genuinely interested. 

No, that would be a disappointment for me.

Plenty of people on here have labelled me a ‘moaner’ or ‘negative’ on here but the facts are that we’ve effectively got two experienced managers with promotions of their CV’s (DC and Flitcroft), a seasoned coach, loads of money invested in stuff like the analytics etc and one of the highest budgets in the League. 

I get that all that doesn’t guarantee you success and we’ve had some awful ‘luck’ (bad choice of word) this season but every team has injuries and suspensions to contend with, that’s why we have a squad. 

In my mind, top 3 was a requirement this year and nobody will ever convince me that this wasn’t a target internally. 

If we go up via the Play-offs, then fantastic, job done and a few extra quid in the bank. I just cannot see it I’m afraid, the team looks spent seems to be limping through 46 games at the moment let alone 49.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I find the ridicule of disappointed fans very harsh. ‘Bottom lips wobbling’ and ‘state of you’.

We’ve had an absolutely horrendous 20 years and, for the first time, we were given concrete hope a couple of weeks ago, only for it to fall apart following a couple of bottling performances in truly predictable Vale fashion. 

The idea that Port Vale fans, treated to one top 6 finish in 30 years and more administrations than promotions, should stoically accept chucking away a 5 point gap over 4th with 4 games to go is ridiculous. If we fall in the playoffs, it’ll feel like yet another crushing kick in the teeth in the life of any Vale under the age of 30, as Stoke and Crewe fans cackle with glee. Kids who’ve only ever had the mickey taken out of them, trudging into school for another year of it.

Overreaction and disappointment is to be expected tonight. Everyone will calm down but the ‘everything is positive all the time forever’ (how I envy them) lads should be a tad more considerate of Vale fans who’ve had precious little to celebrate having a crumb of success dangled in front of them and them seemingly snatched away.

Fingers crossed for Newport. This week will hurt and I don’t want to consider the disappointment if we face Crawley and Stevenage away yet again and a postwar record length of stay in the 4th tier. 

Brilliant post joe b well said it’s about the present not last year or previous years 

2 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

For me at the start of the season I thought play-offs minimum, the league is so average and not sure why people seem to think we would have over achieved, yes we have had bad luck with the injuries and tragedy with what has happened to the manager but sure all clubs have suffered bad injuries, Exeter in the last month had a load out as well, you have to get on with it.  Everyone going on that we are assured of the play-offs, if Swindon win next 2 games, we could be a point clear of 8th when we play Newport.

There's always alternate ways at looking at a situation & you're right, we're not mathematically in a playoff place, but what I said still stands... if we beat Newport I think there's a fairly good chance that would take us back 3rd, with 1 x game to play.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

If we finish 4th-5th and lose in the playoffs semis, are fans happy? Genuinely interested. 

It’s too simplistic a question.

I would be gutted on the day and see it as an opportunity missed.

But looking at the bigger picture and where the club has come from that would demonstrate factual progression from where we’re were a few years ago.

As Carol says … the most important P word is progression. 

Im not a short termist. I don’t demand success now. I take the view that the club is in a better place and is improving and our time will come… sustainably. 

I certainly wouldnt moan at the management team, say it’s not good enough and try and change the approach on transfers and how the club is run. 

I know I am probably showing my age but some of our fans behaviour really does get to me.  I was in the side stand and stewards said to sit in seat number ticket which is what you expect for a sell out game.  The number of our younger fans who decide to sit anywhere so they can be with their mates is just wrong.  They show no consideration for those people with kids or elderly with the constant standing up, standing in the aisles when they had a seat, if you had a child would not encourage you take to a Vale away game where we travel in big numbers.

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

But looking at the bigger picture and where the club has come from that would demonstrate factual progression from where we’re were a few years ago.

Im not a short termist. I don’t demand success now. I take the view that the club is in a better place and is improving and our time will come… sustainably. 

I certainly wouldnt moan at the management team, say it’s not good enough and try and change the approach on transfers and how the club is run. 

A very mature approach, level headed, reassuring.

We’ve had a lot to deal with and there just doesn’t seem to be enough rope at the end of a difficult season. There are players out there who wouldn’t be playing if we had any other options, because they need time to rest niggling injuries. Woz, Wilson, Garrity, Pett, they are playing because they are filling gaps, not because they’re fully fit. Obviously the stuff with DC has hit us, but not as much as managing the injury crisis has. We have too many players who haven’t and will never do a whole season, and over time that puts too much pressure on the rest of the squad.

4 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

There's always alternate ways at looking at a situation & you're right, we're not mathematically in a playoff place, but what I said still stands... if we beat Newport I think there's a fairly good chance that would take us back 3rd, with 1 x game to play.

Yep, for me Northampton vs Exeter is a coin toss.  I’m very disappointed today, we just were not at the races, but this team has showed character through the season so I’ll stick with them and hope others do too.  

As has been the tale for most of the season, when everyone plays well we can beat anyone, but if 3-4 have an off day then we look a very average team.  

I don’t think that it’s a lack of desire from the players, so I’ll hold back on the criticism for now.  If others find it useful to blow off some steam I can kind of understand that too.

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

We’ve taken huge strides, and the squad will keep improving with the current setup. When we do get promoted, and I’m sure we will under DC’s tenure, it will be in a sustainable, progressive way that avoids the yoyoing of other clubs.

Archived