onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

16 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

6 points will see us up, even if its a draw next Saturday between Exeter & Northampton.

We are now heavily reliant on the opposition's position/approach in the last 2 games :-

- Newport being unable to make the play-offs by the time we play them

- Exeter already promoted but unable to win the Title by the last game

Our approach matters more. I believe we are, at our best, too good for Newport and Exeter. Today was just a bottle job as someone else put it. A poor performance. 2 more like that, the opposition could be dreadful and we still won’t get wins.

Today wasn’t for me an issue of poor individual efforts, but rather a collective lack of fluidity due to anxiety. Nobody really wanted the ball. 

1 minute ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

If we don't win the next two, some dates for diaries!............

Date

Kick-off

Tie

Sat 14th May

7.45pm

7 v 4 1st Leg

Sunday 15th May

12.00pm

6 v 5 1st Leg

Wednesday 18th May

7.45pm

4 v 7 2nd Leg

Thursday 19th  May

7.45pm

5 v 6 2nd Leg

Saturday 28th May

4.00pm

Final

Nice trip to Sutton at 12.00 on a Sunday look forward to then, set the alarm for 5.00am

29 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Have we actually scored this season from one of Jones' long throws?

When people were praising him and his performances back in the Autumn when he was a regular, and listing his long throw as a massive asset, I thought then that it was probably one of the more ineffective parts of his game.

Me and my mate regularly make a joke about it not working.... this time, this is it, this is the one....

If we finish 4th-5th and lose in the playoffs semis, are fans happy? Genuinely interested. 
Based on the relegation battle last season, yes I would be happy.

Forward progress.

A good summer of recruitment, mainly in the goalkeeping department and forward line + a better injury record next season and there is no reason why we wouldn't be up there again.

Gutted but the autos are still possible although out of our hands now.

Vale seemed to have a lot of the ball, particularly in the 1st half but did nothing with it. Playing the ball side to side and back in midfield is fine to keep possession but it doesn't get the team moving up the pitch, without Conlon or Taylor there's no one to play the creative pass.

Wozza looks out on his feet, he's given his all for Vale this season.

AC's half time talks and substitutions have been excellent during the good run but for the 2nd game running I thought he didn't get it right. Amoo has never done well when he comes on in a 3-5-2 and surely Taylor has to come on for one of the midfield players to add some guile and creativity.

Damn Walsall but if offered our current position in August I'd have snapped your hand off......and it ain't over by a long way.

1 hour ago, Hoppers said:

Be interesting to see if Northampton get a touch of the yips now they are in the top 3 - we have seen it so many times already this season, anything can (and will) happen yet. Pressure is off us now, pretty much banged on for playoffs, so lets just enjoy what we can. Would be grossly unfair on all players and staff to turn into sulky boo boys now

Spot on 

Look how Tranmere and Newport fell away 

We've had all forwards out at one time 

All midfielders too 

Cass and Conlon to season ending injuries 

The tragedy with our manager 

Yet we are still in with a chance of promotion 

I think the owners,staff and players have done fantastically well 

I'm gutted we've lost the last 2 games 

However,it's time for the fans to unite and get behind the team

With 9 days until the next one I’d be looking at can we get say 70 minutes out of Gibbo and Hussey and if the answer is yes then I’d be looking start them both at wingback against Newport. Woz especially is on empty.

Just got to focus on winning our next game. At least by the time that game kicks off will know where we stand. If can’t be doing it via autos (and it only takes Northampton losing to Exeter to change that) then ideally a fourth or fifth place finish to give us the second leg of the playoff semi at home should be the target.

46 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If we finish 4th-5th and lose in the playoffs semis, are fans happy? Genuinely interested. 

At the start of the season I would have said that is about right for the team. Not an over-achievement not under.

That was awful today.  To turn up in third place against a poor team going nowhere and not even test the goalkeeper is dire really.  

I expected us to impose ourselves from the off.

They were worthy winners and that hurt to be honest.

Highlight of the day was being told(asked nicely) to sit down by Jacko! 

Worth remembering it takes most teams a few seasons of knocking on the door before sealing a promotion. FG have been building for 4 years, Exeter have been in the playoffs several times over past few years. Very very few teams go from being at risk of slipping out of the league (as we were last season), to achieving promotion the very next year.

I would have bitten your hand off for playoffs & will be delighted if we bag our place. When alls said & done & you take everything thay has happened this year into account, the club as a whole has done us proud to be in with a sniff at promotion. 

If Northampton drop points against Exeter next week, we need a win at home against Newport to take us back into 3rd place. All ifs & buts... but we could then be looking at needing a win on the last day to seal automatic promotion. Keep the faith. We're not at our best but we've now got 9 days rest before we go again, & we need every single one of those days!

24 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Our approach matters more. I believe we are, at our best, too good for Newport and Exeter. Today was just a bottle job as someone else put it. A poor performance. 2 more like that, the opposition could be dreadful and we still won’t get wins.

Today wasn’t for me an issue of poor individual efforts, but rather a collective lack of fluidity due to anxiety. Nobody really wanted the ball. 

Great post - iv had palpitations all week, but im sitting here now and I feel calmer, because the pressure is off - so if it affects people like this as fans, what is it like for the players - they are human after all, and not one of our lot wants anything other than promotion this season 👍

Archived