onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

Thought for a long time now that Walsall would be the crunch match for our promotion chances it's sod's law.They have had a poor season but in our home match with them they bullied us out of the game. They had Ladabie kicking lumps out of anything in a white shirt.Did not help of course that Procter was on the comeback from injury and had to come on late in the game.Now is the time for payback i know we have a problem with who is going to play a defensive midfielder could be a good shout about charsley got a tackle in him can cover the ground and got a pass in him.It all depends if Gibbo or pett can make it but saying that walsall have there problems they have Wilkinson out which means they are short on goals they have 3 statues at the back they are not a big team so its up to us to go at them from the off and keep our foot down on them.With the great support from the stands i am very confident that we can easily beat these and that puts pressure back on the the likes of sutton,northampton, and bristol.

Advert

22 hours ago, valefan16 said:

We just need a win here by hook or by crook and then Sky have probably done us a huge favour, win this give the lads a few days off as we have 9 days between games to recharge and get the injuries sorted I imagine we will have at least a couple back for Newport and Wozza and Hussey up to fitness.

Being shown on Sky and pushed back to the Monday could be a big helping hand with other teams playing on the Saturday if Northampton or Rovers drop points. I assume they won't but if they do it could relieve some pressure going into the Newport game. The downside is if we still have to win on the Monday just to stay in third, then it's a shorter turnaround for the much tougher fixture against Exeter. 

21 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Being shown on Sky and pushed back to the Monday could be a big helping hand with other teams playing on the Saturday if Northampton or Rovers drop points. I assume they won't but if they do it could relieve some pressure going into the Newport game. The downside is if we still have to win on the Monday just to stay in third, then it's a shorter turnaround for the much tougher fixture against Exeter. 

My hope for Exeter is that they are already promoted but cannot be Champions, so apart from kudos and win bonus have nothing to play for.

30 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

My hope for Exeter is that they are already promoted but cannot be Champions, so apart from kudos and win bonus have nothing to play for.

I think teams around us still have to play each other. Rovers v Forest Green this weekend, Northampton v Exeter the weekend after and I'm sure there are more. There are so many variables, and I'm sure some twists still to come.

6 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

The only player that I can think of to fill the DM role would be Garrity,as our other midfielders are more attacking or IMO don’t have the physical capability to perform the role well. 

Ask oldham fans what they thought of him when he played that roll for them.

3 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Looking at the fixtures that remain if we win against walsall and newport it forces others to win all there remaining matches i carn't see that happening they will drop points.

Every game gets bigger and bigger,  hold your nerve Vale.

Our system really does depend on a dm that can pass. It actually helps our wing backs get higher up the pitch having some adept at picking the ball off the defence and spraying it wide.

Pett has great positional sense, disrupts play and is very good at recycling the ball and making himself available.

Walker gives us more of a physical presence and can stretch play abit more from deep with his long range passing.

In terms of our known 'fit' players:

Garrity would be the best at tackling. Would pick him if we expect a game where we are up against it and need to grind out a result. However i dont think he would be good enough at spreading the ball about and getting us moving forwards.

Taylor is the best on the ball but would only play him at DM if we are playing a team we can dominate everywhere else on the pitch. Compare his cameo vs hartlepool and game vs rovers. Walsall will be fiery and attritional and the danger is that he is too lightweight to do the defensive side of how we play a dm.

Which leads us to Charsley. In my opionion i think he is the most similar to a pett or walker in that he has more of an 'all round game'. Not sure whether he has played DM before though. I'd be trying it out in training this week.

Could  Harry  Charsley fill in at  DM?

I like Harry Charsley, but unless running the channel and winning a free kick , he’s a bit light weight for a defensive holding role .

I’d rather Jones in there to start keep it solid

Always introduce Taylor if we need a goal.

16 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

I like Harry Charsley, but unless running the channel and winning a free kick , he’s a bit light weight for a defensive holding role .

I’d rather Jones in there to start keep it solid

Always introduce Taylor if we need a goal.

I think that maybe a sensible possibility but we need to ensure we press them high up the pitch but I fear Taylor may not have the fitness to do that at the moment but we need goals early to force them out and finish them off🤞 I fancy a2-1 win and Northampton and Swindon struggling and hoping Newport get nothing at Colchester tonight and  

Archived