Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Guest Vale at home
21 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Re Coutts substitution, the Law actually says, "(the player) unless already off the field, and must leave by the nearest point on the boundary line unless the referee indicates that the player may leave directly and immediately at the halfway line or another point (e.g. for safety/security or injury)"  Coutts simply ignored the ref and took the long route off the field.  He should have got a second booking for blatant time wasting.  Refs allow this far too much.

The time wasting by the goalkeeper was ridiculous.  The Law states, "An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

*controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"

This is the law which is most frequently ignored by referees.  It may as well not exist for the number of times a ref actually imposes a sanction.  Teams and referees simply assume the law isn't there.  Either enforce it or remove it.

Well said . I totally agree with what the Law says . The Ref on Monday . had Loss the  Game . And Let Bristol Rovers . Get away with everything .  Foul after foul . And Time waisted And NO discipline at all . On Ref was Terrible . 

Advert:

Posted (edited)

In Scotland on holiday reflecting on yesterday ,it wasn't that bad really if DJONES scores then we would have deservedly took something out of the game  

Moving forwards if Pett and Gibbons return for last 3 we go up automatically if not I'm not sure .

That's the thing with defeats causes distress .

We deserve do it hope we do 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:

I think he told Coutts to leave on the side but he just said no and kept walking, then the ref walked along side of him not booking him probably because he was already on a yellow. May as well have held his hand while they walked.

I couldn't have played in that game. Ignoring my lack of ability I would have had to put two feet through coutts head.

the kind of player you want playing for you rather than against - oooh Andy Porter, oooh Andy Porter 😁

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We can moan all day about the ref but the bottom line is that a rusty midfielder gave the ball away in a dangerous area for the first goal and then we went to sleep on a corner before failing to deal with a routine lob for the second.  Simple as that.  The ref can book, send players off, give decisions one way and not the other but ultimately these may not alter the result one little bit, whereas stopping the ball from hitting the back of our net will affect the result every day of the week.

2 errors of our own making cost us the game.

True and they made the most of those errors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Lots of thoughts which have already been articulated but the season will come down to the fitness of Pett and Gibbons in the last three.

Pett would steady the midfield and allow us to hold onto the ball for more than 3 passes, whilst helping out the back three to build. Gibbons would give us a degree of width when a clearly declining Worrall and unspectacular Benning fail to do so, both failing to beat their man with any regularity. They're far more likely to offer a sideways past then get in behind, which hinders us massively. I'd go for Gibbons and Hussey if possible.

I think if we get Gibbo and Pett involved, we've got a good chance of 6-7 points and nicking 3rd. If not, I'm struggling to see how a middle 5 of Worrall, Charsley, Taylor, Garrity, and Benning is going to see us over the line. It's a mid-table midfield in games we have to be near-perfect, in high-pressure games against a) rival/bogey team who will be whipped up to ruin our fun, b) playoff rival on national tv, c) 2nd place.

The ref was a very weak with the substitutions but there were no red cards in the game and we lost because Rovers were a better side who exploited our weak links (3 CBs who can't pass when pressed, a non-existent midfield, a GK who doesn't like leaving his line). Coutts and Anderson were a cut above our entire team, bar Proctor who as always played well.

The margin for error is non-existent, and the poor run we went on through January/February ensured that March-April-May would have to be basically perfect, which it has been so far. If we pull it off, considering the tragedy affecting our manager, then it's a miraculous promotion. 

Was good to see 10k in but, as always, the turnstile situation needs work.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Guest Vale at home
41 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

the kind of player you want playing for you rather than against - oooh Andy Porter, oooh Andy Porter 😁

Yes I agree . I do remember Andy porter . Good player for the vale .

Anyone notice Benning pull up slightly and grab his hamstring when chasing after a ball down the line early in the second half?

Wasnt obvious, but I saw it as it was right in front of me in the Paddock. 

Perhaps another one of a walking wounded at the club...   Hopefully we get players recovered in time for the next match. 

53 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Anyone notice Benning pull up slightly and grab his hamstring when chasing after a ball down the line early in the second half?

Wasnt obvious, but I saw it as it was right in front of me in the Paddock. 

Perhaps another one of a walking wounded at the club...   Hopefully we get players recovered in time for the next match. 

I noticed that, he was stretching it out, it does make you wonder how many of the lads are carrying knocks, although I suppose that will effect most clubs at this time of the year.

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Reading through some of the comments made me smile about the moaning of the Bristol tactics. There are many different ways to win a football match.Bristol certainly have their style of play, with experienced pros who played on the edge and were extremely physical. Yes the ref was weak ( I agree with Darren it was oversight by the EFL/FA to allow him to ref the game) but once we concede 2 poor goals from individual mistakes we gave them the right to slow the game down, waste time and play silly buggers at every opportunity. Having travelled around the country to watch most Vale away games it's exactly what we do! 

On Pett, he did light fitness work during the warm up at Hartlepool so I think if he's not quite ready for Saturday then he should be good to go for Newport and Exeter.

But I also don't get the pessimism. So what we have players missing? We have had key players missing all season. As Smithy said "Next Man Up". If you can't do it then you shouldn't be at the club. There is nothing wrong with the midfield 3 available.  Taylor just coming back and Charsley looks to have ran out of steam and Garrity got kicked out of the game. They just need a rest and reset for Saturday!!!

3 games to go win 3 games and we are UP.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Reading through some of the comments made me smile about the moaning of the Bristol tactics. There are many different ways to win a football match.Bristol certainly have their style of play, with experienced pros who played on the edge and were extremely physical. Yes the ref was weak ( I agree with Darren it was oversight by the EFL/FA to allow him to ref the game) but once we concede 2 poor goals from individual mistakes we gave them the right to slow the game down, waste time and play silly buggers at every opportunity. Having travelled around the country to watch most Vale away games it's exactly what we do! 

On Pett, he did light fitness work during the warm up at Hartlepool so I think if he's not quite ready for Saturday then he should be good to go for Newport and Exeter.

I agree completely. It wasn't the manner of the time-wasting itself, I'm sure Stone has been booked this season for it but it seemed the ref wasn't planning on booking Belshaw even If he took twice as long. One of the Rovers' players kicked the ball into the Hamil End when play had already stopped and the fans kept hold of the ball, In the first half he booked Anderson for bouncing the ball on the ground in front of him, just be consistent.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Which isn't the same as "It's not in our hands, now"!

I think we're splitting hairs here.  I've conceded that mathematically it is still in our hands, but only if we win all 3 games--ideal objective, but is that realistic?  That's the real issue!

7 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I think we're splitting hairs here.  I've conceded that mathematically it is still in our hands, but only if we win all 3 games--ideal objective, but is that realistic?  That's the real issue!

Two wins and a draw. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree completely. It wasn't the manner of the time-wasting itself, I'm sure Stone has been booked this season for it but it seemed the ref wasn't planning on booking Belshaw even If he took twice as long. One of the Rovers' players kicked the ball into the Hamil End when play had already stopped and the fans kept hold of the ball, In the first half he booked Anderson for bouncing the ball on the ground in front of him, just be consistent.
It needed a booking to the keeper, which would have nipped it in the bud. I don't think anyone is denying that every team does it, but when it's done in such blatant disregard for the rules and then only 6 minutes were added on at the end when there should clearly have been at least 10. As others have said, we needed a better choice of referee for this match. Nothing he did had a significant impact on the outcome but it was the things he didn't pick up on, allowing a Barton protege to dictate proceedings. We had a couple of small bits of momentum second half but we weren't allowed to sustain it.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

Advert:

13 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Its as realistic as our opponents for promotion winning all their remaining matches. Be positive !

They took time wasting to another level do I blame them No you win ugly there third goal was a lovely breakaway goal if your a Rovers fan but we were committing so many forwards it's always likely happen .

Like I say I bet Dan Jones had a sleepless night last night my lady who came with me couldn't believe he missed the target should have made the goalie make a save after that and Benning having a go in a good position which just hit someone knew it wasn't going be our day .

I like DJONES maybe he may get another chance in remaining games I'd like see him bury it next time .

We had a free kick at one nil up from J Taylor was hoping Wilson was going hit and it was powder puff but ultimately what cost us that game was errors from our play 3rd goal great play first and second goals giveaways .

UTV 

• robf locked this topic