Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

1 hour ago, Doha said:

They took the piss walking off the full width of the pitch for the late subs. Weak weak weak weak referee bottled it big time. I'm sure one was already on a booking. Send him off after all the repeated warnings you bottler. 

I don’t understand why the ref didn’t send them off the pitch via the shortest route. We’ve seen it happen plenty of times before so why was this ref scared of doing that? It was clear what their tactic was and the ref fell for it. 

• Like 1

Advert:

24 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Good post this. We are now struggling in midfield. How far away is Pett. Thought he'd done his hamstring as has Walker? Gibbo could be an option somewhere in the side assuming we can get him fit. We looked short yesterday but what a fantastic run we've been on. UTV

I was in the valiant suite yesterday and saw Pett and gibbo in their training gear up around there not long before kick off, so they’d maybe been doing a gym session I guess? We have been so unlucky to lose Cass and Gibbo with freak ankle injuries. Then on top of that we get Walker and Pett out with hamstrings.

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I was in the valiant suite yesterday and saw Pett and gibbo in their training gear up around there not long before kick off, so they’d maybe been doing a gym session I guess? We have been so unlucky to lose Cass and Gibbo with freak ankle injuries. Then on top of that we get Walker and Pett out with hamstrings.

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Cass was superb as is Gibbo. Let's hope we get Pett and Gibbo back. It's funny how one poor performance changes the mindset. Walker has also gone under the radar and has also been superb of late. Problem is now that sides will stop Proctor and Garrity in particular leaving us limited to a degree. A win at Walsall is key to automatic imo. 2 wins may be enough.

3 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Cass was superb as is Gibbo. Let's hope we get Pett and Gibbo back. It's funny how one poor performance changes the mindset. Walker has also gone under the radar and has also been superb of late. Problem is now that sides will stop Proctor and Garrity in particular leaving us limited to a degree. A win at Walsall is key to automatic imo. 2 wins may be enough.

I think on another day against a lesser side we beat them, but I thought they were good. Which then puts into focus the players we are missing. But I don’t want to take away from what’s been an unbelievably good points tally since we lost the manager in Feb. At some point we were bound to lose a game, it’s a pity it was yesterday, it adds more pressure to the last 3. 

17 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t understand why the ref didn’t send them off the pitch via the shortest route. We’ve seen it happen plenty of times before so why was this ref scared of doing that? It was clear what their tactic was and the ref fell for it. 

I wondered that, there was a time when they had to go off the shortest route or am I mistaken ?

Advert:

7 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I wondered that, there was a time when they had to go off the shortest route or am I mistaken ?

I thought that rule still applied? Or only if the ref chooses to enforce it that is. 

38 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Looked a game too far with a stretched squad.

They were so confident on the ball and played some lovely stuff. That being said, they gifted us a few chances once we put them under pressure but we didn't take them. Dan Jones has to be hitting the target or getting their keeper sent off when Wilson sends him through. 

Not going to be overly critical of Taylor given he won us the game on Friday with a superb cross, but two matches in 4 days when he's barely kicked a ball for 12 months was always going to be tough. He's not a holding midfielder and I'd have switched him and Garrity. 

Two moments of pure class from Wilson - his touch and pass into Benning for our goal and his incredible turn and perfectly weighted through ball to Jones in the 2nd half - should've been enough for us to at least secure a point. So frustrating that we didn't get him and Proctor on the ball more given the quality they both have.

Win the next two and go to Exeter needing a point. Still in our hands.

Spot on 

I think we took too many touches in and around the penalty area.

I'm not too downbeat and it's still in our hands 

I thought our crowd was quiet,the queuing outside was ridiculous,their tactics with 6 bookings took advantage of a weak ref and I didn't enjoy the day overall.

Having said that it is 1 bad day at the office in a long long time. The ball didn't drop for us and hopefully the squad and fans can pick themselves up and try to get as many points as possible in the last 3 games 

On to the next one

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think on another day against a lesser side we beat them, but I thought they were good. Which then puts into focus the players we are missing. But I don’t want to take away from what’s been an unbelievably good points tally since we lost the manager in Feb. At some point we were bound to lose a game, it’s a pity it was yesterday, it adds more pressure to the last 3. 

Bristol for me would be favourites in the play-offs. Sutton can also cause problems. We've done great whatever happens but we must now finish the job. Did anyone mention how close (or if not) Gibbo and Pett are to returning?

• Like 1

Just now, pete vale said:

Bristol for me would be favourites in the play-offs. Sutton can also cause problems. We've done great whatever happens but we must now finish the job. Did anyone mention how close (or if not) Gibbo and Pett are to returning?

They just said they hoped before the end of the season, they weren’t giving anything away to be fair. 

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

It was nasty that, had he not refereed the reverse and had Barton in his ear Coutts would have walked, he would have been booked for that, then got a yellow for the one on Smudge.

Agreed.  Would be good ones for Dermot Gallagher to comment on in ref watch on Sky - what feeble excuses he could come up with to defend his colleague

Advert:

Some simple stewarding would sort out the queues for the Paddock. There are 4 x turnstiles but the queue back onto Hamil Road was just for the 2 x gates on the left. The queue for the 2 x gates on the right didn't even reach the club shop!

I went & queued on the Hamil with everybody else with 2 x young kids & didn't realise until we got towards the club shop that the other queue was much shorter.

Just takes 1 x person to show some initiative & take some ownership. Go down the queue & explain that the queue splits into two & move people about. You then have a bunch of stewards as you walk in checking bags which I understand has to be done but come on Vale, just get somebody to lead & take show some initiative down there for the Newport game please. Shouldn't be left to the fans.

It's not a moan as such because it was great to see so many people about, I just think it's a relatively simple problem to fix.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Some simple stewarding would sort out the queues for the Paddock. There are 4 x turnstiles but the queue back onto Hamil Road was just for the 2 x gates on the left. The queue for the 2 x gates on the right didn't even reach the club shop!

I went & queued on the Hamil with everybody else with 2 x young kids & didn't realise until we got towards the club shop that the other queue was much shorter.

Just takes 1 x person to show some initiative & take some ownership. Go down the queue & explain that the queue splits into two & move people about. You then have a bunch of stewards as you walk in checking bags which I understand has to be done but come on Vale, just get somebody to lead & take show some initiative down there for the Newport game please. Shouldn't be left to the fans.

It's not a moan as such because it was great to see so many people about, I just think it's a relatively simple problem to fix.

I hope that the club release a statement apologising to supporters that missed kick off and having to queue to get in the Bycars for over 45 minutes and that they will learn from this and it won't happen against Newport.  There will be supporters who have not been for a long time who will think the game is on Sky, I had loads of problems getting in, I might as well watch at home or the pub if that is the trouble getting in.  This was nothing to do with late arrivals yesterday, for whatever reasons supporters were not able to get in quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

It was nasty that, had he not refereed the reverse and had Barton in his ear Coutts would have walked, he would have been booked for that, then got a yellow for the one on Smudge.

Agree, the one on Smith was pre-meditated following earlier verbals between the two and could have been red for intent IMO. He also should have been booked for not walking off behind the goal when subbed, which would have meant they were down to 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

They just said they hoped before the end of the season, they weren’t giving anything away to be fair. 

I wouldnt particularly like to face Bristol in the playoffs - if we didnt manage autos, then would prefer them to get 3rd place - BUT still in our own hands and someothers will fall by the wayside in the next 3 weeks - its definitely squirty bottie time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I thought that rule still applied? Or only if the ref chooses to enforce it that is. 

Each stadium should have a clock that’s in sync with the referees watch. This way you would be able to see when the watch has been stopped. All teams are wasting time even ourselves and we positively encourage it, but don’t like it when it’s done to ourselves. For me the only ppl losing out are the fans who pay to watch the game. It needs to be stopped, the only way is through enforcement 

• Like 3

Advert:

Re Coutts substitution, the Law actually says, "(the player) unless already off the field, and must leave by the nearest point on the boundary line unless the referee indicates that the player may leave directly and immediately at the halfway line or another point (e.g. for safety/security or injury)"  Coutts simply ignored the ref and took the long route off the field.  He should have got a second booking for blatant time wasting.  Refs allow this far too much.

The time wasting by the goalkeeper was ridiculous.  The Law states, "An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

*controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"

This is the law which is most frequently ignored by referees.  It may as well not exist for the number of times a ref actually imposes a sanction.  Teams and referees simply assume the law isn't there.  Either enforce it or remove it.

• Like 3

The ref was never going to be sending one of their players off yesterday.

He sent two of them off in the corresponding fixture before Christmas. 

It's madness that he was even allocated yesterday's game.

• Like 4

I think he told Coutts to leave on the side but he just said no and kept walking, then the ref walked along side of him not booking him probably because he was already on a yellow. May as well have held his hand while they walked.

I couldn't have played in that game. Ignoring my lack of ability I would have had to put two feet through coutts head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• robf locked this topic