Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

Bristol play forest Green on Saturday so it’s in our own hands?

DEFFO.....

 

VALE the only side after that last promotion chasing place at odds ON on Satdee......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I agree they were very physical side and we really missed Walker in there yesterday,this wasn't a game for Taylor sadly but we were so short of midfield options BUT they are also one of the best sides i have seen football wise and very quick on the break,we move on as they say,its still very much in our own hands,win all 3(tough ask i know) and we go up
I will add though i wouldn't to play Bristol in the play offs if it comes to that
Hmmm.. I don't think they were that good. Physical? Yes. Tactically astute? Yes. Masters of the dark arts? Definitely. But there was only one team in the second half wanting to play a football match and it wasn't them.

They got it right on the day and played to their absolute maximum against a tired and makeshift team. I'd take our squad over theirs every day.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Hmmm.. I don't think they were that good. Physical? Yes. Tactically astute? Yes. Masters of the dark arts? Definitely. But there was only one team in the second half wanting to play a football match and it wasn't them.

They got it right on the day and played to their absolute maximum against a tired and makeshift team. I'd take our squad over theirs every day.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app
 

 

Every team, including us, does the time wasting, I think the second half was too much without punishment. If I had the time I would go back and watch the second half with a stopwatch to see how many minutes the ball was actually in play, I'd be confident it wasn't higher than 50%. 

When you have Wilson having to retrieve the ball multiple times and the referee is doing nothing, just makes it a bit of a farce,

Agree with all of the above points, I don't think they were particularly great, weren't the best to come to Vale this season, but we missed Walker badly yesterday, and it concerns me that we don't have suitable cover for that position. Walker has been guilty of a few wayward passes this season, but his physicality and interceptions would have given us a midfield, we were all at sea.

On to Saturday though, thats what the buffer was there for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
Every team, including us, does the time wasting, I think the second half was too much without punishment. If I had the time I would go back and watch the second half with a stopwatch to see how many minutes the ball was actually in play, I'd be confident it wasn't higher than 50%. 

When you have Wilson having to retrieve the ball multiple times and the referee is doing nothing, just makes it a bit of a farce,
Agree with all of the above points, I don't think they were particularly great, weren't the best to come to Vale this season, but we missed Walker badly yesterday, and it concerns me that we don't have suitable cover for that position. Walker has been guilty of a few wayward passes this season, but his physicality and interceptions would have given us a midfield, we were all at sea.
On to Saturday though, thats what the buffer was there for.
It definitely goes on with all teams. But I think they took it beyond 'sportsmanship'. It's clear as day that they play in the same mould as their manager. The weak referee didn't do anything to stamp it out...for a game of that magnitude I felt we needed a Championship ref to drop down for a week. For me, it ruined what could have been an end to end second half but unfortunately they weren't interested in playing football second half.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)

I was impressed by them as an away side and I felt that they were one of the better sides we’ve seen at home. Had we had our better players available things might well have been different of course.

We got off to a great start obviously but couldn’t maintain it, they didn’t panic and kept to their gameplan of clearly trying to play behind the wingbacks and pull the wide centre halves out, but they played some nice stuff and played around us way too easily I felt. They rendered our wingbacks useless with their play. Their number 15 ran the game with too much comfort and it was disappointing that no one got stuck into him.

The goals are poor from our point of view, even after Taylors bad touch for the first one it was still a great ball for their lad to latch on to and score. In the ground people blamed Stoke for being beaten there, but to be fair the finish is a good strike. The second is horrendous, as soon as the corner gets played backwards we should be going out, instead we’re in the 6 yard box and the indecision from Martin and Stone is probably down to the fact that we should have been pushed out higher and it looked like they left it for each other. 

Once the second half started we did play higher and they seemed happy to sit in and soak it up. The Jones chance is the one though, maybe someone more confident on his right would taken it first time or gone round the keeper. But what play that was from Wilson to create that chance, that’s a higher standard than league two football - that touch and pass. The third is irrelevant as we’re pushing for the equaliser, but it did expose Martins lack of pace. 

We’re down to the bare bones, Taylor isn’t a holding midfielder, Jones showed that you can’t expect a centre half to go and play centre midfielder either. Benning on another day should have come off for me, but what do we replace him with? Fingers crossed that Pett is back soon and that maybe Gibbo can make it for the last few games too.
 

We’ve done immensely well without our best players in this last 2 months, it’s still in our hands which is the only positive we can take from yesterday. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

It definitely goes on with all teams. But I think they took it beyond 'sportsmanship'. It's clear as day that they play in the same mould as their manager. The weak referee didn't do anything to stamp it out...for a game of that magnitude I felt we needed a Championship ref to drop down for a week. For me, it ruined what could have been an end to end second half but unfortunately they weren't interested in playing football second half.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app
 

Unfortunately the away side aren’t their to entertain us. The ref should have stamped down on it much earlier. If we’d have gone away and won like that we would have lauded it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the away side aren’t their to entertain us. The ref should have stamped down on it much earlier. If we’d have gone away and won like that we would have lauded it. 
Absolutely. It was the perfect away performance from them. I still maintain that they weren't amazing but once they went ahead they turned the game into a stop/start rather than playing any more football.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They took the piss walking off the full width of the pitch for the late subs. Weak weak weak weak referee bottled it big time. I'm sure one was already on a booking. Send him off after all the repeated warnings you bottler. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


13 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Any footage of that tackle on Garrity in front of our bench?

It was nasty that, had he not refereed the reverse and had Barton in his ear Coutts would have walked, he would have been booked for that, then got a yellow for the one on Smudge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raveninblack said:

Bristol play forest Green on Saturday so it’s in our own hands?

If we win 3 games, 9 pts we go up,  Exeter need 5 pts from 4 games, FGR need 1 pt from 4 games. Should that happen all three teams would be promoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I was impressed by them as an away side and I felt that they were one of the better sides we’ve seen at home. Had we had our better players available things might well have been different of course.

We got off to a great start obviously but couldn’t maintain it, they didn’t panic and kept to their gameplan of clearly trying to play behind the wingbacks and pull the wide centre halves out, but they played some nice stuff and played around us way too easily I felt. They rendered our wingbacks useless with their play. Their number 15 ran the game with too much comfort and it was disappointing that no one got stuck into him.

The goals are poor from our point of view, even after Taylors bad touch for the first one it was still a great ball for their lad to latch on to and score. In the ground people blamed Stoke for being beaten there, but to be fair the finish is a good strike. The second is horrendous, as soon as the corner gets played backwards we should be going out, instead we’re in the 6 yard box and the indecision from Martin and Stone is probably down to the fact that we should have been pushed out higher and it looked like they left it for each other. 

Once the second half started we did play higher and they seemed happy to sit in and soak it up. The Jones chance is the one though, maybe someone more confident on his right would taken it first time or gone round the keeper. But what play that was from Wilson to create that chance, that’s a higher standard than league two football - that touch and pass. The third is irrelevant as we’re pushing for the equaliser, but it did expose Martins lack of pace. 

We’re down to the bare bones, Taylor isn’t a holding midfielder, Jones showed that you can’t expect a centre half to go and play centre midfielder either. Benning on another day should have come off for me, but what do we replace him with? Fingers crossed that Pett is back soon and that maybe Gibbo can make it for the last few games too.
 

We’ve done immensely well without our best players in this last 2 months, it’s still in our hands which is the only positive we can take from yesterday. 

Good post this. We are now struggling in midfield. How far away is Pett. Thought he'd done his hamstring as has Walker? Gibbo could be an option somewhere in the side assuming we can get him fit. We looked short yesterday but what a fantastic run we've been on. UTV

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked a game too far with a stretched squad.

They were so confident on the ball and played some lovely stuff. That being said, they gifted us a few chances once we put them under pressure but we didn't take them. Dan Jones has to be hitting the target or getting their keeper sent off when Wilson sends him through. 

Not going to be overly critical of Taylor given he won us the game on Friday with a superb cross, but two matches in 4 days when he's barely kicked a ball for 12 months was always going to be tough. He's not a holding midfielder and I'd have switched him and Garrity. 

Two moments of pure class from Wilson - his touch and pass into Benning for our goal and his incredible turn and perfectly weighted through ball to Jones in the 2nd half - should've been enough for us to at least secure a point. So frustrating that we didn't get him and Proctor on the ball more given the quality they both have.

Win the next two and go to Exeter needing a point. Still in our hands.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Any footage of that tackle on Garrity in front of our bench?

image.thumb.png.da667c9b1f841b9d3b8f24390f3f59d8.pngVery lucky that it was a rubbish tackle, Only a still here but it's on iFollow 1.44.55 in.  Straight leg in from the side, late and high, had he caught Bens leg then he should have been off.

Edited by NellyTheValiant
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Have to say for any of the “just turn up earlier crowd” there is a lot of people who did and they didn’t open the turnstiles until 2pm and have just let queues build. We should probably be looking at that for the next game.

I would agree. I know there's all sorts of safety checks that have to happen before people are allowed in (maybe that was the reason for the 2pm opening) but if that's the case can't they do those checks earlier when a big crowd is expected

It is a bit bizarre seeing tweets from the club asking people to turn up early and when they did, they are stuck in a queue waiting for the turnstiles to open. I hope it's addressed for the Newport game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, robf said:

I would agree. I know there's all sorts of safety checks that have to happen before people are allowed in (maybe that was the reason for the 2pm opening) but if that's the case can't they do those checks earlier when a big crowd is expected

It is a bit bizarre seeing tweets from the club asking people to turn up early and when they did, they are stuck in a queue waiting for the turnstiles to open. I hope it's addressed for the Newport game.

I've been up on a Tuesday night and the turnstiles have been open over an hour before kick off.  Not sure what the reasoning for them not to be open on Saturday.

What I will add is that the 2 lower paddock turnstiles were vert efficient, I arrived at around 2.35 and the queue stretched back about half way along the length of the paddock, took less than 10 minutes to get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • robf locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...