• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

52 minutes ago, boleyuk said:

Did I read right that this was the same referee in the reverse fixture and gave 2 red cards for BR? He clearly bottled it today, the first horrendous fouls should have all been yellow cards if not red. He clearly didn't want to have to make those decisions given his history in the last game, so did nothing. He bought all their antics throughout. And took path of least resistance e.g. allowing their sub standing on the goal line, to walk all the way across to half way line. A clear disregard for the rules which are not discretionary!
That said, they had more hunger and bullied us out of the game. Jake Taylor looked out of depth. Worrall didn't look fit.

I agree, I thought the ref was shocking today. An early yellow card (which it was) on their No15 would have stopped all that. At times I think that’s our downfall, we didn’t play on him like we should of, him and Anderson were walking reds yet we didn’t wind either of them up. Although why the ref did not give him a 2nd yellow when he was sub’d and blatantly disregarded his instructions was frankly a disgrace. 

• Like 2

Advert:

Nothing much say about the game we have been defending very poorly last 2 home games and the 2 goals we conceded first half today were pub standard goals concede.

Well done Bristol Rovers however we are still 2 points above you with 3 to go ,dont really know what make of them they spent most of the  game on the floor yet have managed score 3 goals against us .

Tom Pett where is he ?.

We need him back and quick and Gibbons 

Too many key players out today .

Great crowd but typical Vale lose when folk come .

I do not mind losing but beating yourselves you cannot concede goals like there first 2 and expect win football matches .

All still play for though and we can either throw it away or get promotion .

Defending like that we are going throw it away. 

Bartons niggle side won the day but make sure we win the battle .

UTV 

1 minute ago, valefan79 said:

I thought Bristol were excellent myself and had some quality players, this is why we need those 7 points from the last 3 games.  They have been on a run similar to us and it showed, they dictated play and if they miss out on the top 3, I would imagine they would be favourites for the play-offs. 

They dictated play because we were poor and off our game. They looked nothing special IMHO at all. 

• Like 1

Really? Totally disagree with that mate. They were average at best today
Watched it on TV, some of their one-touch passing was excellent and they were quite direct running at us.

I thought the best side won today
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Guest Vale at home
1 minute ago, Platty's Tassels said:

They dictated play because we were poor and off our game. They looked nothing special IMHO at all. 

1 minute ago, Osh said:

Watched it on TV, some of their one-touch passing was excellent and they were quite direct running at us.

I thought the best side won today

Yes I do agree . I did think vale did play poor today . 

Guest Vale at home
3 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

I do agree . Vale did play poor today . 

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:
Carl is back , predicting that we’ll lose our last 3 games. Stirring it up as usual.  

He loves it doesn't he?

Sadly, yes, he belongs to a club who enjoy it 

Advert:

Easy with hindsight I know, but with the midfield available to us we really needed go 4-5-1 in my opinion.

The game mirrored previous defeats vs Walsall, Rochdale and Swindon (Salford was a fluke) where teams have played quick triangles through the midfield to break the lines.

Worrall had a shocker positionally and was back to his rugby union routine of just scissor-kicking the ball high into the air several times.

If we’d have played the same midfield 3 but with Worrall and Amoo (for Wilson) and Smith at RB I feel we would have had a bit more solidity plus pace to hurt them on the break. Wilson would have had a much needed rest, perhaps a 25 min cameo, ready for Walsall.

People would no doubt say why are we dropping one of our best performing players but the team dynamic wasn’t there and a point would have been a fantastic result even if we’d have bored people to death.

But football is incredibly easy in hindsight.

Lets hope (pray) for a big reaction on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I thought Bristol were excellent myself and had some quality players, this is why we need those 7 points from the last 3 games.  They have been on a run similar to us and it showed, they dictated play and if they miss out on the top 3, I would imagine they would be favourites for the play-offs. 

Likely that Sutton will have a say in the POs.

3 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Likely that Sutton will have a say in the POs.

Didnt realise if they win the game in hand they go above Bristol Rovers, their 4 remaining games are Barrow, Crawley, Bradford and Harrogate, hardest game likely to be Barrow, they might have ambitions of top 3 yet.

I think Taylor wasn’t match fit, Worrall wasn’t fit and Garrity and Charsley weren’t “at it” enough. Garrity spent more time trying to con the ref than concentrating on his game. Jones’ passing was wayward when he came on as well.

I thought the ref was ok bar a possible sending off for their last man foul on Wilson.  I thought they were a very good passing side on the dayand pretty ruthless in front of goal.

still, onwards and upwards, we need to be up for Walsall and hope Newport have dropped out of the picture by the time we play them. It’s still possible we’re up without needing to beat Exeter but things are very tight up there.

• Like 1

Advert:

Guest Vale at home
28 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Really? Totally disagree with that mate. They were average at best today

I do agree with you platty tassels . 

Anderson a quality player but overall I didn't think Bristol were amazing. That's not sour grapes either, we've dominated the 2nd half but it's just not fell for us.

Winning runs don't last forever & unfortunately today wasn't our day. You can't make errors like ours for the first & expect not to be punished. 

It's looking more & more likely we'll need something at Exeter on the last day  which isn't great. I can honestly see us slipping into the playoffs. We just seem to be running on empty a little bit & injuries catching up with us, but I hope the lads prove me wrong.

• Like 2

• robf locked this topic