onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

After much reflection on yesterday’s defeat, I’ve come to a conclusion. 

Is it the end of the world? No. Have we made work a hell of a lot harder for ourselves? Yes. 

Yesterday was always going to be a tough task without a DM, and Rovers certainly took advantage of our depleted midfield. 

Rovers were good, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t believe they are as good as some are making out. We more than matched them in the second period, and we were very unfortunate not to level through DJ. The score line 100% flattered Barton thugs, but you can’t deny that they were worthy winners on the afternoon. 

We’ve still got the advantage, with 7 points securing automatics. There is no reason why we can’t get at least 6 points out of the next 3, I think that would even secure it. 

Heads up Valiants, it’s in our hands. Hopefully, we’ll see the return of Pett and Gibbons next weekend in Walsall’s Champions League final! 

Advert

4 hours ago, Hoppers said:

the kind of player you want playing for you rather than against - oooh Andy Porter, oooh Andy Porter 😁

4 hours ago, Hoppers said:

the kind of player you want playing for you rather than against - oooh Andy Porter, oooh Andy Porter 😁

Coutts would have ran off the pitch at the nearest exit (after Goober’s first tackle).

Taylor made the "mistake" for the first goal but whoever tried to control the wickedly spinning ball that fell to Taylor would have had problems, whether it be Conlon, Pett, Walker or Zidane.  Both commentators, who were right above the play said how wickedly the ball was spinning.  The spin affected the flight of the ball and how it was gonna come off Taylor's boot. Taylor made a good attempt but it got half a yard away from him and Coutts was able to poke it away and play a perfectly weighted pass into the stride of Anderson, just out of reach of Wozza, and he finished emphatically.

If I was AC I'd also be asking where were Charsley or Garrity during that attack by Brizzle

AC's half time talks and substitutions have been a feature of Vale's impressive run of form but yesterday I didn't get the rational. Replacing Taylor with  Dan Jones, a defender, and then replacing Charsley robbed the Vale of any fluidity or cohesion, they had and if it had been a midfielder on the end of Wilson's brilliant piece of play and pass then a goal may have resulted.

Vale don't have a holding midfield player (Enforcer) in the mold of a Griff or an Anthony Grant,  Brad Walker is the nearest but doesn't put himself about as much.

Agree, I thought the subs were puzzling, Taylor had an awful first half but I thought he was getting in to the game more with some good runs, it was obvious we needed more pace in defence so Jones could have tightened up our defence, even though Worrall had a poor game he was 100% better than Benning, the wrong winger was taken off and a waste of time ending up with all 4 strikers as the problem was the service that was been given to the strikers was no way near good enough. 

6 hours ago, Vale at home said:

Well said . I totally agree with what the Law says . The Ref on Monday . had Loss the  Game . And Let Bristol Rovers . Get away with everything .  Foul after foul . And Time waisted And NO discipline at all . On Ref was Terrible . 

Poor loser’s I’m afraid,best team won and you were out sung in your library UTG 

4 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

I think we're splitting hairs here.  I've conceded that mathematically it is still in our hands, but only if we win all 3 games--ideal objective, but is that realistic?  That's the real issue!

Mot splitting hairs at all - firstly we won't necessarily need 3 W...as has been pointed out - more than once - 2W + 1D may be enough? Secondly - before yesterday we had won 5 on the bounce - why is it now unrealistic to think we could win 3 more?

8 minutes ago, Gasmad said:

Literally just five posts above yours is a post saying Rovers were "worthy winners" and yet we're poor losers :whistling:

To me there's now a lot of psychology involved. Had we been 5th and won to go 2 points clear in 3rd we'd all be bouncing. But we are all on a downer after result.
It's still in our hands so that's all we can ask. Very difficult with our injuries but we can still do it.
Bristol are a much improved team but a horrible niggly bunch seemingly happy with a thug who doesn't deserve to be in football running the show. Strange.  

Bang on and love the 1st few lines of this post!

Won and lost in the middle of the park, we were dreadful, too many passive players for much of the game…. I also thought we played way to many big punts of the ball from the goalkeeper and we gave possession of the ball away too quickly as a result.

3 games to go, it’s all in our hands what more could you ask for, you’d much prefer to be us knowing we have it in our hands, than he 2 points away from 3rd place, knowing you need someone to slip up.

Onwards and upwards - UTV

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Agree, I thought the subs were puzzling, Taylor had an awful first half but I thought he was getting in to the game more with some good runs, it was obvious we needed more pace in defence so Jones could have tightened up our defence, even though Worrall had a poor game he was 100% better than Benning, the wrong winger was taken off and a waste of time ending up with all 4 strikers as the problem was the service that was been given to the strikers was no way near good enough. 

Trouble was you were playing percentage football,hoof the ball and hope it falls to one of your players.

25 minutes ago, Gasmad said:

It isn't usually but our team lowered there standards v you ,we virtually gave you your first 2 goals ,not great play on your part poor on ours ,worthy winners in what way we're you worthy winners in the second half you spent 30 out of the 45 messing about slowing the game down as you knew if you went toe to toe with us we would have hammered you  

Your lucky day nothing more ,better than most sides in our leagues credit there  but not better than us we will  see who finishes higher after 46 games we will for sure .

Poor losers we rarely lose we have four of our better players sidelined through injury Walker magnificent better than all your midfield Pett he have smashed into your players not given you time like the returning from injury Taylor did .

Conlon and Gibbons also .

So enjoy winning the battle we will win the war .

UTV 

Archived