onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

59 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I was impressed by them as an away side and I felt that they were one of the better sides we’ve seen at home. Had we had our better players available things might well have been different of course.

We got off to a great start obviously but couldn’t maintain it, they didn’t panic and kept to their gameplan of clearly trying to play behind the wingbacks and pull the wide centre halves out, but they played some nice stuff and played around us way too easily I felt. They rendered our wingbacks useless with their play. Their number 15 ran the game with too much comfort and it was disappointing that no one got stuck into him.

The goals are poor from our point of view, even after Taylors bad touch for the first one it was still a great ball for their lad to latch on to and score. In the ground people blamed Stoke for being beaten there, but to be fair the finish is a good strike. The second is horrendous, as soon as the corner gets played backwards we should be going out, instead we’re in the 6 yard box and the indecision from Martin and Stone is probably down to the fact that we should have been pushed out higher and it looked like they left it for each other. 

Once the second half started we did play higher and they seemed happy to sit in and soak it up. The Jones chance is the one though, maybe someone more confident on his right would taken it first time or gone round the keeper. But what play that was from Wilson to create that chance, that’s a higher standard than league two football - that touch and pass. The third is irrelevant as we’re pushing for the equaliser, but it did expose Martins lack of pace. 

We’re down to the bare bones, Taylor isn’t a holding midfielder, Jones showed that you can’t expect a centre half to go and play centre midfielder either. Benning on another day should have come off for me, but what do we replace him with? Fingers crossed that Pett is back soon and that maybe Gibbo can make it for the last few games too.

We’ve done immensely well without our best players in this last 2 months, it’s still in our hands which is the only positive we can take from yesterday. 

Good post this. We are now struggling in midfield. How far away is Pett. Thought he'd done his hamstring as has Walker? Gibbo could be an option somewhere in the side assuming we can get him fit. We looked short yesterday but what a fantastic run we've been on. UTV

Advert

Looked a game too far with a stretched squad.

They were so confident on the ball and played some lovely stuff. That being said, they gifted us a few chances once we put them under pressure but we didn't take them. Dan Jones has to be hitting the target or getting their keeper sent off when Wilson sends him through. 

Not going to be overly critical of Taylor given he won us the game on Friday with a superb cross, but two matches in 4 days when he's barely kicked a ball for 12 months was always going to be tough. He's not a holding midfielder and I'd have switched him and Garrity. 

Two moments of pure class from Wilson - his touch and pass into Benning for our goal and his incredible turn and perfectly weighted through ball to Jones in the 2nd half - should've been enough for us to at least secure a point. So frustrating that we didn't get him and Proctor on the ball more given the quality they both have.

Win the next two and go to Exeter needing a point. Still in our hands.

20 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Have to say for any of the “just turn up earlier crowd” there is a lot of people who did and they didn’t open the turnstiles until 2pm and have just let queues build. We should probably be looking at that for the next game.

I would agree. I know there's all sorts of safety checks that have to happen before people are allowed in (maybe that was the reason for the 2pm opening) but if that's the case can't they do those checks earlier when a big crowd is expected

It is a bit bizarre seeing tweets from the club asking people to turn up early and when they did, they are stuck in a queue waiting for the turnstiles to open. I hope it's addressed for the Newport game.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

I would agree. I know there's all sorts of safety checks that have to happen before people are allowed in (maybe that was the reason for the 2pm opening) but if that's the case can't they do those checks earlier when a big crowd is expected

It is a bit bizarre seeing tweets from the club asking people to turn up early and when they did, they are stuck in a queue waiting for the turnstiles to open. I hope it's addressed for the Newport game.

I've been up on a Tuesday night and the turnstiles have been open over an hour before kick off.  Not sure what the reasoning for them not to be open on Saturday.

What I will add is that the 2 lower paddock turnstiles were vert efficient, I arrived at around 2.35 and the queue stretched back about half way along the length of the paddock, took less than 10 minutes to get in.

1 hour ago, Doha said:

They took the piss walking off the full width of the pitch for the late subs. Weak weak weak weak referee bottled it big time. I'm sure one was already on a booking. Send him off after all the repeated warnings you bottler. 

I don’t understand why the ref didn’t send them off the pitch via the shortest route. We’ve seen it happen plenty of times before so why was this ref scared of doing that? It was clear what their tactic was and the ref fell for it. 

24 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Good post this. We are now struggling in midfield. How far away is Pett. Thought he'd done his hamstring as has Walker? Gibbo could be an option somewhere in the side assuming we can get him fit. We looked short yesterday but what a fantastic run we've been on. UTV

I was in the valiant suite yesterday and saw Pett and gibbo in their training gear up around there not long before kick off, so they’d maybe been doing a gym session I guess? We have been so unlucky to lose Cass and Gibbo with freak ankle injuries. Then on top of that we get Walker and Pett out with hamstrings.

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I was in the valiant suite yesterday and saw Pett and gibbo in their training gear up around there not long before kick off, so they’d maybe been doing a gym session I guess? We have been so unlucky to lose Cass and Gibbo with freak ankle injuries. Then on top of that we get Walker and Pett out with hamstrings.

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Cass was superb as is Gibbo. Let's hope we get Pett and Gibbo back. It's funny how one poor performance changes the mindset. Walker has also gone under the radar and has also been superb of late. Problem is now that sides will stop Proctor and Garrity in particular leaving us limited to a degree. A win at Walsall is key to automatic imo. 2 wins may be enough.

3 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Cass was superb as is Gibbo. Let's hope we get Pett and Gibbo back. It's funny how one poor performance changes the mindset. Walker has also gone under the radar and has also been superb of late. Problem is now that sides will stop Proctor and Garrity in particular leaving us limited to a degree. A win at Walsall is key to automatic imo. 2 wins may be enough.

I think on another day against a lesser side we beat them, but I thought they were good. Which then puts into focus the players we are missing. But I don’t want to take away from what’s been an unbelievably good points tally since we lost the manager in Feb. At some point we were bound to lose a game, it’s a pity it was yesterday, it adds more pressure to the last 3. 

17 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t understand why the ref didn’t send them off the pitch via the shortest route. We’ve seen it happen plenty of times before so why was this ref scared of doing that? It was clear what their tactic was and the ref fell for it. 

I wondered that, there was a time when they had to go off the shortest route or am I mistaken ?

38 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Looked a game too far with a stretched squad.

They were so confident on the ball and played some lovely stuff. That being said, they gifted us a few chances once we put them under pressure but we didn't take them. Dan Jones has to be hitting the target or getting their keeper sent off when Wilson sends him through. 

Not going to be overly critical of Taylor given he won us the game on Friday with a superb cross, but two matches in 4 days when he's barely kicked a ball for 12 months was always going to be tough. He's not a holding midfielder and I'd have switched him and Garrity. 

Two moments of pure class from Wilson - his touch and pass into Benning for our goal and his incredible turn and perfectly weighted through ball to Jones in the 2nd half - should've been enough for us to at least secure a point. So frustrating that we didn't get him and Proctor on the ball more given the quality they both have.

Win the next two and go to Exeter needing a point. Still in our hands.

Spot on 

I think we took too many touches in and around the penalty area.

I'm not too downbeat and it's still in our hands 

I thought our crowd was quiet,the queuing outside was ridiculous,their tactics with 6 bookings took advantage of a weak ref and I didn't enjoy the day overall.

Having said that it is 1 bad day at the office in a long long time. The ball didn't drop for us and hopefully the squad and fans can pick themselves up and try to get as many points as possible in the last 3 games 

On to the next one

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think on another day against a lesser side we beat them, but I thought they were good. Which then puts into focus the players we are missing. But I don’t want to take away from what’s been an unbelievably good points tally since we lost the manager in Feb. At some point we were bound to lose a game, it’s a pity it was yesterday, it adds more pressure to the last 3. 

Bristol for me would be favourites in the play-offs. Sutton can also cause problems. We've done great whatever happens but we must now finish the job. Did anyone mention how close (or if not) Gibbo and Pett are to returning?

Just now, pete vale said:

Bristol for me would be favourites in the play-offs. Sutton can also cause problems. We've done great whatever happens but we must now finish the job. Did anyone mention how close (or if not) Gibbo and Pett are to returning?

They just said they hoped before the end of the season, they weren’t giving anything away to be fair. 

Archived