onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

I agree they were very physical side and we really missed Walker in there yesterday,this wasn't a game for Taylor sadly but we were so short of midfield options BUT they are also one of the best sides i have seen football wise and very quick on the break,we move on as they say,its still very much in our own hands,win all 3(tough ask i know) and we go up
I will add though i wouldn't to play Bristol in the play offs if it comes to that
Gas or Sutton would be problems, would need good refs. Promotion still possible.

Advert

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:
10 minutes ago, werstayinup said:
I agree they were very physical side and we really missed Walker in there yesterday,this wasn't a game for Taylor sadly but we were so short of midfield options BUT they are also one of the best sides i have seen football wise and very quick on the break,we move on as they say,its still very much in our own hands,win all 3(tough ask i know) and we go up
I will add though i wouldn't to play Bristol in the play offs if it comes to that

Gas or Sutton would be problems, would need good refs. Promotion still possible.

Bristol play forest Green on Saturday so it’s in our own hands?

8 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

One positive is that Bristol players all had an 8 out of 10 game, whereas we had 4 or 5 5/10 performances, yet still remained competitive. That was their absolute maximum in terms of level and it was just good enough to beat us on the day...it happens in a one off game. We know there is an extra level of performance but we must sort out the midfield. I agree that Hall might be a good shout in there...big, physical and is good on the ball.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Top post. Absolutely bang on analysis.

Take it on the chin Vale. We were beaten on the day by a better drilled and organised team.

Too many Vale players looked jaded and tired but Brizzle were completely up for it.

One game, so we march onto Walsall. Still in our hands so now the whole squad have to show they want promotion.

Incidentally Benning man of the match?! Someone had too many sherberts!

Hmmm.. I don't think they were that good. Physical? Yes. Tactically astute? Yes. Masters of the dark arts? Definitely. But there was only one team in the second half wanting to play a football match and it wasn't them.

They got it right on the day and played to their absolute maximum against a tired and makeshift team. I'd take our squad over theirs every day.

5 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Hmmm.. I don't think they were that good. Physical? Yes. Tactically astute? Yes. Masters of the dark arts? Definitely. But there was only one team in the second half wanting to play a football match and it wasn't them.

They got it right on the day and played to their absolute maximum against a tired and makeshift team. I'd take our squad over theirs every day.

Every team, including us, does the time wasting, I think the second half was too much without punishment. If I had the time I would go back and watch the second half with a stopwatch to see how many minutes the ball was actually in play, I'd be confident it wasn't higher than 50%. 

When you have Wilson having to retrieve the ball multiple times and the referee is doing nothing, just makes it a bit of a farce,

Agree with all of the above points, I don't think they were particularly great, weren't the best to come to Vale this season, but we missed Walker badly yesterday, and it concerns me that we don't have suitable cover for that position. Walker has been guilty of a few wayward passes this season, but his physicality and interceptions would have given us a midfield, we were all at sea.

On to Saturday though, thats what the buffer was there for.

Every team, including us, does the time wasting, I think the second half was too much without punishment. If I had the time I would go back and watch the second half with a stopwatch to see how many minutes the ball was actually in play, I'd be confident it wasn't higher than 50%. 

When you have Wilson having to retrieve the ball multiple times and the referee is doing nothing, just makes it a bit of a farce,
Agree with all of the above points, I don't think they were particularly great, weren't the best to come to Vale this season, but we missed Walker badly yesterday, and it concerns me that we don't have suitable cover for that position. Walker has been guilty of a few wayward passes this season, but his physicality and interceptions would have given us a midfield, we were all at sea.
On to Saturday though, thats what the buffer was there for.
It definitely goes on with all teams. But I think they took it beyond 'sportsmanship'. It's clear as day that they play in the same mould as their manager. The weak referee didn't do anything to stamp it out...for a game of that magnitude I felt we needed a Championship ref to drop down for a week. For me, it ruined what could have been an end to end second half but unfortunately they weren't interested in playing football second half.

I was impressed by them as an away side and I felt that they were one of the better sides we’ve seen at home. Had we had our better players available things might well have been different of course.

We got off to a great start obviously but couldn’t maintain it, they didn’t panic and kept to their gameplan of clearly trying to play behind the wingbacks and pull the wide centre halves out, but they played some nice stuff and played around us way too easily I felt. They rendered our wingbacks useless with their play. Their number 15 ran the game with too much comfort and it was disappointing that no one got stuck into him.

The goals are poor from our point of view, even after Taylors bad touch for the first one it was still a great ball for their lad to latch on to and score. In the ground people blamed Stoke for being beaten there, but to be fair the finish is a good strike. The second is horrendous, as soon as the corner gets played backwards we should be going out, instead we’re in the 6 yard box and the indecision from Martin and Stone is probably down to the fact that we should have been pushed out higher and it looked like they left it for each other. 

Once the second half started we did play higher and they seemed happy to sit in and soak it up. The Jones chance is the one though, maybe someone more confident on his right would taken it first time or gone round the keeper. But what play that was from Wilson to create that chance, that’s a higher standard than league two football - that touch and pass. The third is irrelevant as we’re pushing for the equaliser, but it did expose Martins lack of pace. 

We’re down to the bare bones, Taylor isn’t a holding midfielder, Jones showed that you can’t expect a centre half to go and play centre midfielder either. Benning on another day should have come off for me, but what do we replace him with? Fingers crossed that Pett is back soon and that maybe Gibbo can make it for the last few games too.

We’ve done immensely well without our best players in this last 2 months, it’s still in our hands which is the only positive we can take from yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

It definitely goes on with all teams. But I think they took it beyond 'sportsmanship'. It's clear as day that they play in the same mould as their manager. The weak referee didn't do anything to stamp it out...for a game of that magnitude I felt we needed a Championship ref to drop down for a week. For me, it ruined what could have been an end to end second half but unfortunately they weren't interested in playing football second half.

Unfortunately the away side aren’t their to entertain us. The ref should have stamped down on it much earlier. If we’d have gone away and won like that we would have lauded it. 

Unfortunately the away side aren’t their to entertain us. The ref should have stamped down on it much earlier. If we’d have gone away and won like that we would have lauded it. 
Absolutely. It was the perfect away performance from them. I still maintain that they weren't amazing but once they went ahead they turned the game into a stop/start rather than playing any more football.

They took the piss walking off the full width of the pitch for the late subs. Weak weak weak weak referee bottled it big time. I'm sure one was already on a booking. Send him off after all the repeated warnings you bottler. 

13 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Any footage of that tackle on Garrity in front of our bench?

It was nasty that, had he not refereed the reverse and had Barton in his ear Coutts would have walked, he would have been booked for that, then got a yellow for the one on Smudge.

1 hour ago, Raveninblack said:

Bristol play forest Green on Saturday so it’s in our own hands?

If we win 3 games, 9 pts we go up,  Exeter need 5 pts from 4 games, FGR need 1 pt from 4 games. Should that happen all three teams would be promoted.

Archived