onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

Ref appointment was atrocious.  Not saying for a moment it cost us the game but a truly staggering appointment. 

I agree. It was a huge error by whoever appointed him and it showed. Their captain refereed the game and the keeper wasn't even trying to hide his timewasting. He was warned by the referee about 3 times. Just book him and it cuts it out!

I knew that once we went a goal down that it would be very difficult to get back into it. A Barton team was clearly going to do every trick in the book to delay, timewaste, frustrate and they didn't disappoint. They certainly weren't interested in a football match second half. Frustratingly they looked all at sea at the back at times if we had just got at them more. It seems our luck ran out today, whenever a ball ricocheted, it went to them. Whenever a cross came close it hit someone and went out. It was just one of those days. Incidentally, although I was away working, I watched the Exeter game on iplayer and thought they were a far better team, intent on playing the right way.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

6 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

It was definitely outside. They were great at tactical fouls and they rotated to make sure nobody got sent off. A classic Barton team with very little class.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Leeds, thank you. I couldn’t tell from where I was sitting also no one int the LS or Bycars appealed

26 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

My seat is in the RP around the halfway line. How far outside the penalty area was the trip on Wilson in the second half

It was outside the area but a lot closer than where the free kick was taken from.

Been sat looking at all the permutations but it's a waste of time really.

We're virtually 1 win away from ensuring Tranmere & Mansfield can't catch us, meaning that it's going to be 2 of Exeter, ourselves, Northampton, Rovers & Sutton for the automatics.

Win on Saturday & the picture could look very different. Rovers have got FGR at home & Northampton are away at a resurgent Orient. We have to win though. A point would be enough to see us stay 3rd with 2 x games to go barring a big Northampton win.

Draw at Walsall sees us level on points but ahead on GD with 2 x games to play. The Newport game on Sky would become HUGE.

My niggling worry is that in the reverse fixtures (2 of which were at home) we won 1 point from the next 3.

3 hours ago, Powerline said:

Don’t get the Worrall criticism. At least 5 worse players than him today imo.

I don't understand the need for scapegoating at all? Just accept we had an off day and leave it at the collective fault of the group - none of us know why any particular player has had an off day!? 

37 minutes ago, DazFred said:

He belongs in prison with his brother 

Charsley and Garrity were fouled each time they challenged for a header,by an elbow or being jumped in 

The foul on Smith was a red

The blatant foul on Wilson 

I thought our MF was outbattled...no one came short to take the ball off the defence so we had to go long 

Thought we took too many touches when we got closer to the box 

I actually thought Martin had a good game 

I think Crosby gambled to try to get an equaliser but with hindsight,maybe use Amoo? Easy for me to say but they had so many defenders on yellows...

The ref was diabolical. Their 15 got booked and strolled off when subbed. And as for the keeper....

O well,3 to go, we're still 3rd and it may come down to GD 

Stay positive 

One game a time 

They mastered the dark arts far better than us, their game management was inspired, the Ref. allowing the lad to slowly walk off after telling him to hurry up while having a chat was on another level,  having sent off their players at The Memorial Ground, I felt the Ref. bottled the tackle on Smith, ( Maybe he had Bartons criticism ringing in his ears from the previous game) but all that said, their keeper had very little to do except break the play up by time wasting but our lack of cover today in midfield cost us dearly.

Win next 3 we are promoted that's all we should be concentrating on.

Today's match has gone. Can't do anything about the result, so let's all stay positive and take each match one game at s time.

If Walsall weren't Walsall I would say playing away to a team who are mid table and lost 3 in 4 would be ideal opposition at this stage of the season.

It aint over till the fat lady sings!

15 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Why did we have no ball boys behind the goal today? So much time wasting by their keeper.

Rob, from my position the Vale players had to retrieve the ball at the Bycars, for the exact reason that you’ve outlined.

I was wondering what happened to the ball boy synonymous for the Mansfield incident as he wasn’t there today. Was he injured or has he left the club by mutual consent 

3 hours ago, soothsayer said:

Not a huge swing in GD now after today’s swing of 5 to Northampton.

So there's a GD difference between us of 5 in our favour - at the moment. But, if we win 2 / draw 1 our GD increases by a minimum of 2; win all 3 it would increase by a minimum of 3 (and GD wouldn't matter because of our points total!). 

For the pessimists amongst you who seem to delight in pointing out that Vale could fail to get promotion - you're absolutely right...there IS that chance! So enjoy your moment of  doom and gloom - because there's a very good chance we will get promotion! Recent results suggest this is a blip, rather than a pattern? Maybe our team will come out and play like worldbeaters in their last games? None of us know - so why not look on the bright side, instead of the dark side?

We need Pett for the last three games, assuming Walker is done for the season.

Frustrating really we started like a train as we do often do at home got the perfect start and then Wilson gets taken out as about to go clean through. Awful free kick for Taylor and moments later it’s 1-1.

2nd goal was sloppy, identical to the Oldham one almost last week and lessons not learnt.

DJ has to score, 1 on 1 keeper out his area just knock it past him and slot home or force him into taking you out and walking? Shame it didn’t fall to Wilson or Procs otherwise it’s 2-2.

Bad day at the office, Worrall didn’t look fit, the midfield injuries are a problem and we have to just get back on the horse and make a go of it at the weekend.

The promotion race is wide open now after today, Sutton going under the radar have an easy run in…

19 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Why did we have no ball boys behind the goal today? So much time wasting by their keeper.

Couldn’t understand this myself.  Looked a huge oversight. We ended up with Wilson having to retrieve the ball.

I felt the game itself looked a bit of a bridge too far against clearly a decent team.  Playing with an unfit Wozz, Taylor and likely Garrity on top of all the other missing players was always a big ask.  I agree with many comments that the ref was soft but really we lost the game due to 2 errors, Taylor for the first and take your pick for the second, where we were asleep for the short corner and then stood and watched as the cross came in.

Looking at the fixtures I feel we’ll need 2 wins and a draw which, given the situation with team, may be tough.

2 hours ago, Woot said:

RaceYour mob tried every trick to sway a poor ref. If you concentrated on playing football instead of cheap tricks you may have got a draw. 
you were the same as a lot of sides in this division, long ball. 

we played you off the park. 

hahaha...you simpleton!

A disappointing day.  If we had researched then we must have surely known that midfield trio would be too lightweight.  I know our hands were forced given Walker / Pett injuries, but Jones or Hall in there with Hussey / Jones on the left of a back 3 would have given us a presence in the middle of the park which we were sadly lacking today.

Yes I know Taylor had a decent cameo on Friday, but we were the dominant side that day before he entered the fray, so he could play on the front foot.  Today he looked a little boy lost, and gave away possession when under no pressure for the critical equaliser.

I am no doom and gloom merchant - I was one of those pointing out still plenty of points to play for as we stuttered through Feb / March.  We first need to win the  battle before winning the football match - I do not see Taylor in the holding role from the off as a way to do that.  Use him from the bench if we are chasing the game.

A week now to rest up and work on a game plan before the Yam Yams on Saturday with different midfield 3 - assuming no other players are returning to fitness.

Archived