onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

Just now, 1 said:

It’s still in our hands, but the big problem is Bristol Rovers were not great shakes and we let them pass it round like vintage Vieira. The midfield 3 were not an auto-promotion central unit, that’s a fact. If they play the remaining games from the start then we’ll struggle to make the playoffs. Without Pett we’re doomed because he puts his foot in and passes the ball forward. He’ll make a massive difference.

Agreed to a point. Not sure Pett wouldn’t have been muscled out of it tbh but with Walker on I think we’d have got something today. But I think it’s an exaggeration to say we dominated the 2nd half like some have done. We huffed and puffed and created one gilt-edged chance (Jones, off an counter) and a couple of scrambled. Never really had any real control of the game IMO.

Advert

I would say they were nasty, but that would imply there was an underhand nature to it. The ref let so much blatant cheating go unpunished that it was farcical at times. We were bullied within and outside the rules of the game but we couldn’t get a foothold and without players who can stand up psychically the last few games look difficult. Saturday will hardly be a tippy-tappy lovefest.  

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Agreed to a point. Not sure Pett wouldn’t have been muscled out of it tbh but with Walker on I think we’d have got something today. But I think it’s an exaggeration to say we dominated the 2nd half like some have done. We huffed and puffed and created one gilt-edged chance (Jones, off an counter) and a couple of scrambled. Never really had any real control of the game IMO.

I agree re Walker and Pett. He would have lost some 50-50s but he would have actually been here to get something in the midfield. I thought Jones looked like a good option and he’d start for me over Taylor in that midfield 3 but I know that’ll not happen.

Took a bit of time before posting. Really don't think Taylor is the answer our defensive mid woes. Struck me as a return of the Jake taylor of last year, 1 good half Friday then back to mediocre. I think Garrity may need a break as he looked miles off it. Subs baffling too, i get we don't have a lot of options in the middle atm, but Jones for Charlsey absolutely lost me. Charlsey was the only midfield that actually looked half decent. Lots of individual mistakes all over the park.

But you won't win every game, and hopefully this will be a wake up call to some lads who thought we'd made it already. IF we go up, given the amount of injuries we have now, the team deserve a hell of a lot of credit.

15 minutes ago, chickensteve said:

The ground was quite full, personally i thought about 13k were there and thought Bristol bought 3k. the front few rows of the hamil were empty as was the side past the netting to the railway paddock. The paddock looked almost full apart from near the bycars but the Railway stand had a number of blocks of empty seats. The bycars looked almost full as was the Lorne street where i sat although strangely when i went to the gents at half time it was easier to walk through the concourse than a normal match attendance. Personally I think somethings wrong with vales systems, I checked myself last night and Lorne Street, Railway Stand and Paddock were all off sale the only seats for purchase being in the Bycars. If it isnt that then theres something wrong with the licencing of the ground that means parts must be kept empty, either way it needs addressing in the close season for us to be able to push forward. For all the talk there was a few years ago of moving us to a new stadium with a 10k capacity today prooves that would of been totally inadaquate but also inadaquate is a stadium with a purported higher capacity that can't be used. If you make it difficult for people to attend then they wont. 

Attendance looked about right to me but we obviously need to get more turnstyles open if we are to continue with crowds like this. i would guess Rovers brought about 2.5 k 

24 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

All football fans are the same, we only see it one way, no way commented on Bennings's awful dive against Oldham when he didn't get booked, Garrity's 2 footed challenge that should have resulted in a red card in the same game or the penalty that Hartlepool should have got on Monday.  We all see it the same way, refs are awful, the standard is getting worse.

I agree that some decisions go for you and others go against you and statisticians say that over a season they balance themselves out, probably correct. Just that Garritys wasn’t a two footed challenge, an extremely hard one footed challenge, that’s why he wasn’t sent off. He didn’t go over the top of the ball either. I think the ref had a good view and that’s why he didn’t produce a red card or even consult the linesman, who again had a good view

10 minutes ago, 1 said:

I would say they were nasty, but that would imply there was an underhand nature to it. The ref let so much blatant cheating go unpunished that it was farcical at times. We were bullied within and outside the rules of the game but we couldn’t get a foothold and without players who can stand up psychically the last few games look difficult. Saturday will hardly be a tippy-tappy lovefest.  

Ref appointment was atrocious.  Not saying for a moment it cost us the game but a truly staggering appointment. 

Thought it was comfortable for Bristol Rovers today tbf. I went for a 2-2 draw prior to the game.

If I'm honest when I saw Walker going off at Hartlepool, I thought we may struggle in midfield and we did.

Rovers jumped on Proctor, nullified Benning and took control of the game. second half was an improvement but I couldn't see a goal coming. Not sure if we'll see Pett, Gibbo or Walker again this season. Jake Taylor needs games, who will take the holding role in midfield?

We allowed their skipper Coutts to dictate the game and the referee, reminded me of Barton tbh.

I'm not gonna knock one poor performance too much when you consider we were in 10th position a few months back. We've had terrible injuries and off-field tragedies, our starting midfield is injured. If we can get the ball to Proctor and Wilson with decent support we'll be OK.

There were more than 10,840 there today, nothing has been learned from the Tranmere game in respect of queues and refreshments by the look of it. Is there an 80% safety factor on the ground. Has the paddock been deemed unsafe (obviosly not otherwise we wouldn't be allowed in?). A few rumours about regarding safety certs and finance - I don't believe them btw.

The more money that comes in the better for the club, we must have one of the overall highest wage bills in the league.

A great season - just needs topping off with another 9 points.

"We go again as they always say" UTV

3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Statistically true, but Walsall away, Newport (H) Exeter away = 7 or 9 points=OPTIMISTIC

That may be true - but worst case scenario is that the 3 teams closest to us HAVE to win their games to push us into getting the 7 points we would need. If those 3 drop points - and anything's possible with their run-ins - then we need fewer points, and would be under less pressure to get them! Why would you think we can't win our last 3 games when we've W 11 D 7 L2  (40pts out of 60) of the 20 we've played since losing 3 on the bounce (Salford/Swindon/Newport - probably the worst we've done against teams around us)? 

Incidentally - we need 4 points to be guaranteed a play-off place...I think that's a huge achievement considering the shiw we've gone through?

Same here mate, turnstiles 25;26,27,and28 closed the que was about 300 yards long when I joined it at 2-30, got in the ground at 3-15 having missed 2 goals.
It's not good. I usually get there at like 245 but as I knew it would be busier than usual got there at 2pm. Turnstiles weren't even open and there was a massive queue.
We've got to get better at all these basics. The match day experience around ticketing and entering the ground is poor.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

To me there's now a lot of psychology involved. Had we been 5th and won to go 2 points clear in 3rd we'd all be bouncing. But we are all on a downer after result.

It's still in our hands so that's all we can ask. Very difficult with our injuries but we can still do it.

Bristol are a much improved team but a horrible niggly bunch seemingly happy with a thug who doesn't deserve to be in football running the show. Strange.  

He belongs in prison with his brother 

Charsley and Garrity were fouled each time they challenged for a header,by an elbow or being jumped in 

The foul on Smith was a red

The blatant foul on Wilson 

I thought our MF was outbattled...no one came short to take the ball off the defence so we had to go long 

Thought we took too many touches when we got closer to the box 

I actually thought Martin had a good game 

I think Crosby gambled to try to get an equaliser but with hindsight,maybe use Amoo? Easy for me to say but they had so many defenders on yellows...

The ref was diabolical. Their 15 got booked and strolled off when subbed. And as for the keeper....

O well,3 to go, we're still 3rd and it may come down to GD 

Stay positive 

One game a time

Barton in 1 ear & 10,000 Vale fans in the other. 
Come on boys.
This is exactly what happened today!! Vale not good, but brizzle horrible and made in Bartons image. Didn't think they were such a good side as many people are saying. Ref weak.

Archived