• 2nd
    • 3rd
    • Play-offs

4 hours ago, 1 said:

Where do you think Swindle will finish:

11th

12th

Bottom half?

Shows the difference in squad strength. We lose our  manager, half our best team through injuries and somehow manage to galvanise the team to produce an amazing,  potential promotion winning run.  Swindles lose Mckirdy and the wheels fall off.  No other team could have coped with the adversity that we have had and still be anywhere near, let alone find themselves in the top 3. Just highlights the fantastic efforts of all concerned. Let's keep the faith, go mental for the boys, but no criticism if we don't quite make it. - But we're gonna do it, aren't we?   UTV

Advert

It’s hard to say. I still feel Mansfield are favourites but that’s me thinking with the Vale emotion of it, Bookies think we are.

It’s a shame Exeter scored late as we’d have them in the equation and feels fanciful that we’d keep this form up the last 5 games and thus have something like 12 wins and a draw in 13.

That said Mansfield don’t travel well and have to go Salford who likely will need a result for their play off challenge and their form is superb bar against us… that’s tough. FGR may need a win for the title still, they are only 7 points and have lost Stevens and Matt to injury so a slip there could let us close in.

Ultimately win our last 5 we are up but likely won’t need to win all 5. One game at a time and match Mansfield all the way.

If we did miss out hopefully it will be with us still in good form and we can attack the play offs positively. Mansfield or Exeter are the ones I’d want to avoid in them and they’d likely be promoted if we aren’t so would fancy us in them.

Northampton stumbling, we’ve outplayed Salford twice, Tranmere stumbling, Bristol Rovers have slowed down in recent games, Sutton we’d fancy over two legs so main thing first and foremost is to get that one more win that should all but seal a play off spot at worst.

I have a horrible feeling we’ll get 4th on the last day. Hartlepool is massive and I think we’ll win but I think Brizzle will be very tough and, I suspect, akin to another Walsall at home where they psyche themselves into a frenzy for their game of the season. On the subject of Walsall…. well goodness knows what to expect from that one, we’ve had some real shockers against them in recent years. I’d expect us to win vs Newport and then we go into Exeter….. Imagine the atmosphere if both teams got promoted though!

15 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I have a horrible feeling we’ll get 4th on the last day. Hartlepool is massive and I think we’ll win but I think Brizzle will be very tough and, I suspect, akin to another Walsall at home where they psyche themselves into a frenzy for their game of the season. On the subject of Walsall…. well goodness knows what to expect from that one, we’ve had some real shockers against them in recent years. I’d expect us to win vs Newport and then we go into Exeter….. Imagine the atmosphere if both teams got promoted though!

With the only thing at stake being to finish 2nd or 3rd.

I think 2nd because even when we were playing truly dreadfully post Christmas we were still competing and getting points. 

The sort of football we are playing now is so many gears ahead, we will still get wins if it drops off a little. 

I don’t think we will struggle to maintain our standard now. 

Don't think its as clear cut as, who gets the best results between us and Mansfield. Exeter and FGR aren't over the line yet. I think they will both wobble, FGR already are, and the pressure is on the Grecians too after so many near misses. Easter fixtures are massive, we will either be talking playoffs, or taking about winning the league.
Remember, nobody has got easy fixtures, they don't exist, that's why your Acca doesn't come in on Saturdays. It's all about digging out results no matter how scruffy it looks. We look quite good at that lately.

The pragmatic part of me was quite happy Exeter got that winner, as I'd prefer them to have nothing to play for on the last day, (having beaten Northampton in the game before), in case we do need a point or even a win there.

I thought 80pts would be enough for automatic, but Mansfield aren't showing the signs of fatigue I'd hoped for after their recent schedule. Still think we'll hit 80 (at least), but no longer sure that will be enough. Can't see anyone bar Mansfield catching us now though, but to prevent jinxing us I'll take the cowards way out and say we'll be 'top 4' and leave it at that.

Been a fantastic season and squad performance whatever the end result.

UTV!

Just taken a look at the Stags last games and I feel a TADD more optimistic....

SUTTON [H]...........Sutton still a good chance of the play offs.

CARLISLE [A]...........Nothing to play for but have been on a decent run recently.

CRAWLEY [H]..........OK nothing to play for and a likely Stags win.

STEVENAGE [H].......In DEEP issues at the bottom and if they're not up for this game they DESERVE relegation!

SALFORD [A]......... Salford as Sutton are well in it for a top 7 finish, Mansfield's hardest remaining game IMO.

FGR [H]........OK FGR will be on the beach but beaten just ONCE away all season says a lot.

COME ON VALE!!!.......😆

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I think 2nd because even when we were playing truly dreadfully post Christmas we were still competing and getting points. 

The sort of football we are playing now is so many gears ahead, we will still get wins if it drops off a little. 

I don’t think we will struggle to maintain our standard now. 

Good job we didn’t sack anyone isn’t it. 

I think we will finish 3rd. We have a tough run in but I think we have the minerals to get the job done. 

We will need to win against Newport to seal automatic promotion. It’s 1-1 in the 89th and yes we get a penalty, we never do things by 1/2 at the Vale do we.

The fans, the owners, the manager, the staff and the players deserve to seal promotion at Vale Park for the season we’ve had.

Last 5 games play your hearts out lads and get us over the line you’ve done us, the gaffer, the owners, the club and yourself proud this season whatever happens.

VTID

FGR have stuttered a bit of late and now lost their 2 main strikers so maybe Exeter will be in with a sniff of the title come the last game.  
All teams are feeling the pinch with injuries now.  I noticed Oates didn’t feature for Mansfield at the weekend.  You could see the difference when Wozz went off on Saturday, it completely unbalanced the team.

If we keep everyone fit and then manage 4 wins I think we’ll finish in the autos.

When I attempted some mathematical (crystal-ball version!) calculations (after 37 matches, when we had 60 points in the bank and 9 games to play), I concluded that 77/78 points was our likely final tally and that would see us somewhere between 6th-8th position.

However, having pulled in 12 points from the last four games, I believe 83/84 final points is now a realistic possibility and that, if other 6-pointer games between top-8 teams go our way could well give us 2nd or 3rd position.

Of course, it's all in the lap of the gods and should some of those 6-pointer matches-ours against Bristol Rovers & Exeter in particular-and the others between top-8 teams go against us we may well be in a play-off position.  I sincerely hope that it's the former prognosis and not the latter as I don't think my nerves could stand the lottery of the play-offs!!

Archived