onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Hartlepool United v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I just think that the away support adds so much more to games and with the option to watch on iFollow this diminishes it somewhat. Add to that the number of people who stream the games over FB and in pubs, and I'm sure that there are a number, then we're also missing out on the revenue stream too.

Don't get me wrong I use iFollow for midweek games and for some that I'm not able to get to Colchester away for example so I'm not completely against it, I just think that it will eventually lead to a poorer matchday experience.

I somewhat agree and armchair fans are not great, but we can see from the attendance on Saturday, If you build it he/she will come. I enjoyed Saturday a lot, so I may come 

Advert

58 minutes ago, robf said:

Yep, it's fortunate that due to the Bank Holiday, this Friday game (which many fans would not be able to get to if they wanted to due to the small away ticket allocation) is actually available for people to watch and also brings in a bit more income for the club.

It's just illogical that if it was played 24 hours later, the same thing would apply (thousands of Vale fans in the UK wouldn't be able to attend) but they also wouldn't be able to pay to watch on a stream either.  So fans miss out on seeing a crucial Vale game and the club misses out on revenue.

I think its a FIFA rule isnt it? Bonkers though as on International Weekends it doesnt apply so we can stream those games such as the two Sutton ties!

I never get it either as Saturday 3pm is a British tradition, but most of Europe have allsorts of random kick off times through the divisions so is there even any point in it anymore? Let the clubs decide if they want to show a game.

Take this season... Vale go to Exeter with promotion on the cards the ridiculous thing is only 1100 Vale fans will be able to see it happen, the rest have to listen through radio or follow online updates through twitter/BBC vidiprinter so the majority including 3/4 of season ticket holders wouldnt be able to see the biggest game in nearly a decade (if it pans out that way).

1 hour ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I just think that the away support adds so much more to games and with the option to watch on iFollow this diminishes it somewhat. Add to that the number of people who stream the games over FB and in pubs, and I'm sure that there are a number, then we're also missing out on the revenue stream too.

And that's why I was saying it needs testing. I don't want it to decrease actual attendances. I can't back this up with stats but my gut feeling is it won't affect the crowds. I think the experience of "being there" if you can, far outweighs watching at home. However, I think there is a large audience who simply cannot get to the game through age, illness, location, finances and so on and iFollow is a good alternative to them. I don't think it can ever replace the matchday experience so for me it's always the "well if I can't go, I'll watch it on the stream".

As for the second point - I'm not sure that's relevant as I'm talking about legal streaming that brings money into the club. Stopping the freeloaders and pirates (which is what they are - do they not see how they are damaging the club?) is a matter for the EFL's licensing team to make the product more secure. Either way, that percentage who do watch illegally for free (and damage the club financially) are not going to be in attendance at a game anyhow - they are already lost from the gates but not because of a legal stream.

23 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Take this season... Vale go to Exeter with promotion on the cards the ridiculous thing is only 1100 Vale fans will be able to see it happen, the rest have to listen through radio or follow online updates through twitter/BBC vidiprinter so the majority including 3/4 of season ticket holders wouldnt be able to see the biggest game in nearly a decade (if it pans out that way).

Just on that note I wonder what the rules are on a live feed at Vale Park? I was thinking the same thing and I would imagine there would be a decent attendance if there was a chance of a big screen at the ground. I was wondering if it has to be a sold-off fixture so any big screening would not affect the attendance. I can't imagine it would affect the home gate (who is going to travel that distance to sit with Vale fans) and if there's no more away tickets then it won't affect the away allocation. I wonder if the club are considering it? I guess the main obstacles will be whether the broadcasting rules allow the club to do it and whether the costs of a big screen etc would be prohibitive.

Just now, robf said:

Just on that note I wonder what the rules are on a live feed at Vale Park? I was thinking the same thing and I would imagine there would be a decent attendance if there was a chance of a big screen at the ground. I was wondering if it has to be a sold-off fixture so any big screening would not affect the attendance. I can't imagine it would affect the home gate (who is going to travel that distance to sit with Vale fans) and if there's no more away tickets then it won't affect the away allocation. I wonder if the club are considering it? 

I think Colin Garlick suggested the 3pm Saturday blackout would mean we couldn't do it unfortunately.

1 minute ago, valefan16 said:

I think Colin Garlick suggested the 3pm Saturday blackout would mean we couldn't do it unfortunately.

Yes I can see the issue there. I think it has been done before but not on Saturdays and I think it's usually when the game is being broadcast on TV too. I guess the rules make it impossible as you say.

Loads of folks are using a VPN to bypass iFollow restrictions and the money is going to the club - I’d guess that most of them are people who for all the previously mentioned reasons can’t physically attend - so the effect on attendance is probably already in evidence, ie it’s negligible.

The other thing with ifollow is that it is for personal use only. So putting it on a big screen in a pub or something is strictly speaking breaching the T and C's. How enforceable this is is another question.

I very much doubt it significantly affects attendances. As Rob says it is nothing like actually being at the game. But given that you can't be, it is a really nice second best.

If the Vale are selling ~ 1000 match passes, over the season is an income  not to be sniffed at. Plus this figure does not include season pass holders at ~200 quid a go. Season pass holders are almost certain to be expats like myself who can very rarely actually go. Wonder how many season pass holders we have. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a few hundred.

10 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

To be fair, I think the number of people watching on fb, in pubs etc, are limited. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's Vale not the WC finale...

And the fact we sold over a thousand ifollow passes the other night, goes to show that this issue is very limited!

Me neither. Plus also I think most want to also use it as a way to put money in the club that they otherwise would not have. 

To be fair, I think the number of people watching on fb, in pubs etc, are limited. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's Vale not the WC finale...
And the fact we sold over a thousand ifollow passes the other night, goes to show that this issue is very limited!
I reckon it's at least another 1000 watching via dodgy means.
That facebook page stream always had around that number watching.

Archived