onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Hartlepool United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Mate of mine has been watching these regularly as he couldn’t get tickets for Newcastle Utd - he says they got booed off at half-time and full time at the last home game and that Omar Bogle is current whipping boy. That probably means he’ll score a hat trick…

4 hours ago, robf said:

I've seen a couple of posts on here about watching the games particularly the Friday fixture. 

As far as I am aware it's only Saturday 3pm fixtures that are subject to the blackout which means they can't be screened live in the UK. So, both those fixtures will be available to buy on iFollow for both UK-based and fans overseas. 

I'm sure those that can get to the games will go but at least the club are set for some more revenue as a portion of the IFollow money will go to them too. So in addition to bumper matchday receipts on Monday there will also be some revenue coming in from those far and wide (UK and abroad) who can't make it on the day (and those watching can hopefully see see the club consolidate their promotion push too). In fact the club are promoting Friday as such - 

@mr.hobblesworth I saw your earlier post and I can't see any reason you can't view it as you'd be in the same boat as the #SuperValeAbroad who watch regularly from abroad. Only thing I would suggest is not to buy the video pass while still in the UK. I think if you did that and then tried to watch it abroad the iFollow service would get confused. Best to buy it from the country you intend to watch it from. Otherwise, I think you should be fine (fingers crossed)

What a mess . 

15 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

What a mess . 

It is when anyone can circumvent the rules. Iv mentioned this before, I completed an efl survey a few months ago. Two questions were would I buy an ifollow UK season ticket if available - I would for away games, but go home matches. Other question was would I be willing to pay a monthly subscription to watch weekly matches for the division we are playing in - I presume a bit like having sky sports but for just league one (HOPEFULLY😁👍) - I'd be well up for that as well. Whether they pitch (sorry😊) any of these options remains to be seen, but they certainly need to change the archaic rules that exist. 

5 hours ago, robf said:

I've seen a couple of posts on here about watching the games particularly the Friday fixture. 

As far as I am aware it's only Saturday 3pm fixtures that are subject to the blackout which means they can't be screened live in the UK. So, both those fixtures will be available to buy on iFollow for both UK-based and fans overseas. 

I'm sure those that can get to the games will go but at least the club are set for some more revenue as a portion of the IFollow money will go to them too. So in addition to bumper matchday receipts on Monday there will also be some revenue coming in from those far and wide (UK and abroad) who can't make it on the day (and those watching can hopefully see see the club consolidate their promotion push too). In fact the club are promoting Friday as such - 

@mr.hobblesworth I saw your earlier post and I can't see any reason you can't view it as you'd be in the same boat as the #SuperValeAbroad who watch regularly from abroad. Only thing I would suggest is not to buy the video pass while still in the UK. I think if you did that and then tried to watch it abroad the iFollow service would get confused. Best to buy it from the country you intend to watch it from. Otherwise, I think you should be fine (fingers crossed)

It's cheaper too if you buy in Euro:-)

16 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

What a mess . 

It's somewhat bizarre that the 3pm Saturday TV blackout rule was there to protect stadium attendances (i.e. if you wanted to watch it you had to be there) but now it only really applies to/hurts smaller clubs. 

PL fans can watch their team live at all sorts of weird and wonderful times with Sky gradually increasing the days matches are played (we never used to have Thursday/Friday games) clearly to get around the 3pm blackout. So loads of their matches are unaffected by this and are available to watch. Live coverage doesn't seem to affect their attendances on the days when it is live on TV. 

So, the end result is that as EFL games in L1/L2 are not screened as much on Sky it's UK fans who can't easily get to the match on Saturdays who miss out. It's also clubs who miss out on some potential extra income from those fans paying to watch.

It all seems to be based on a misguided notion that fans are within walking distance, so if you take the streaming option away, fans will simply walk up to the match on a Saturday. The weird thing is they don't apply the same logic to midweek games which are available to watch in the UK. What's the difference to a local fan in walking up to a game on a Saturday or a Tuesday? Has streaming of Vale midweek games adversely affected the attendances? I don't think so.

Many fans are local but not everyone can simply "walk up" to the ground. My trip from Aylesbury for a home game is 260 miles round trip, about 50 quid (probably 70 quid now) in petrol plus assorted food costs if I bring my kids with me. That's not including the ticket costs. It's a big financial outlay and so sometimes it would be considerably easier to pay a tenner on a Saturday (with the money going to the club) and avoid a few hours of M6 queues. I buy an iFollow pass for midweek games. I can't get back home in reasonable time to not be tired at work the next day, so I would never be able to go "in person". By having an IFollow pass available for midweek games I get to see the Vale play and the club gets some money from me (they wouldn't get any gate money off me if I can't travel so the iFollow money is better than no money from me). 

I can slightly understand the concern about lifting the rule may have on attendances but I tend to think those who can go, will do, as being there is clearly better than watching on a stream. I can't understand why they don't test the water and have a couple of weekends where the rule is lifted to actually see what effect it has on attendances. 

I know of so many Vale fans out of the area - Devon, Scotland, South Wales for whom a trip to Vale Park is a big task and I am sure allowing those UK viewers to watch will boost matchday revenue. Yes, I guess some local fans may opt for the stream but I reckon that would be more than compensated for by iFollow pass sales. I'd be interested to see if Vale's matchday revenue (of both tickets and iFollow income) goes up or down if the Saturday blackout was lifted.

it just seems bizarre that midweek games have the option of - 1) be in the ground 2) or watch on the stream 3) or miss out -  wheras Saturday games have the more stark choice of 1) be in the ground 2) or miss out - from the club's finances perspective it's surely better to have income from iFollow passes rather than no income at all.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic from the Hartlepool game but it is something that annoys me. Times have changed and clubs need to get as much revenue as they can from whatever means they can and I think clubs are missing out through an archaic rule from the 1950s.

14 minutes ago, robf said:

It's somewhat bizarre that the 3pm Saturday TV blackout rule was there to protect stadium attendances (i.e. if you wanted to watch it you had to be there) but now it only really applies to/hurts smaller clubs. 

PL fans can watch their team live at all sorts of weird and wonderful times with Sky gradually increasing the days matches are played (we never used to have Thursday/Friday games) clearly to get around the 3pm blackout. So loads of their matches are unaffected by this and are available to watch. Live coverage doesn't seem to affect their attendances on the days when it is live on TV. 

So, the end result is that as EFL games in L1/L2 are not screened as much on Sky it's UK fans who can't easily get to the match on Saturdays who miss out. It's also clubs who miss out on some potential extra income from those fans paying to watch.

It all seems to be based on a misguided notion that fans are within walking distance, so if you take the streaming option away, fans will simply walk up to the match on a Saturday. The weird thing is they don't apply the same logic to midweek games which are available to watch in the UK. What's the difference to a local fan in walking up to a game on a Saturday or a Tuesday? Has streaming of Vale midweek games adversely affected the attendances? I don't think so.

Many fans are local but not everyone can simply "walk up" to the ground. My trip from Aylesbury for a home game is 260 miles round trip, about 50 quid (probably 70 quid now) in petrol plus assorted food costs if I bring my kids with me. That's not including the ticket costs. It's a big financial outlay and so sometimes it would be considerably easier to pay a tenner on a Saturday (with the money going to the club) and avoid a few hours of M6 queues. I buy an iFollow pass for midweek games. I can't get back home in reasonable time to not be tired at work the next day, so I would never be able to go "in person". By having an IFollow pass available for midweek games I get to see the Vale play and the club gets some money from me (they wouldn't get any gate money off me if I can't travel so the iFollow money is better than no money from me). 

I can slightly understand the concern about lifting the rule may have on attendances but I tend to think those who can go, will do, as being there is clearly better than watching on a stream. I can't understand why they don't test the water and have a couple of weekends where the rule is lifted to actually see what effect it has on attendances. 

I know of so many Vale fans out of the area - Devon, Scotland, South Wales for whom a trip to Vale Park is a big task and I am sure allowing those UK viewers to watch will boost matchday revenue. Yes, I guess some local fans may opt for the stream but I reckon that would be more than compensated for by iFollow pass sales. I'd be interested to see if Vale's matchday revenue (of both tickets and iFollow income) goes up or down if the Saturday blackout was lifted.

it just seems bizarre that midweek games have the option of - 1) be in the ground 2) or watch on the stream 3) or miss out -  wheras Saturday games have the more stark choice of 1) be in the ground 2) or miss out - from the club's finances perspective it's surely better to have income from iFollow passes rather than no income at all.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic from the Hartlepool game but it is something that annoys me. Times have changed and clubs need to get as much revenue as they can from whatever means they can and I think clubs are missing out through an archaic rule from the 1950s.

Agree 100%, I went to the Oldham game, first time in a while TBF. With work it is hard to get to a lot of games (and I live local). Would I prefer the actual experience Yes, but sometimes it is not viable. We will buy 2 ifollow passes for the Hartlepool game, so that is revenue. All fans need an option these days.

14 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Agree 100%, I went to the Oldham game, first time in a while TBF. With work it is hard to get to a lot of games (and I live local). Would I prefer the actual experience Yes, but sometimes it is not viable. We will buy 2 ifollow passes for the Hartlepool game, so that is revenue. All fans need an option these days.

Yep, it's fortunate that due to the Bank Holiday, this Friday game (which many fans would not be able to get to if they wanted to due to the small away ticket allocation) is actually available for people to watch and also brings in a bit more income for the club.

It's just illogical that if it was played 24 hours later, the same thing would apply (thousands of Vale fans in the UK wouldn't be able to attend) but they also wouldn't be able to pay to watch on a stream either.  So fans miss out on seeing a crucial Vale game and the club misses out on revenue.

11 minutes ago, robf said:

Yep, it's fortunate that due to the Bank Holiday, this Friday game (which many fans would not be able to get to if they wanted to due to the small away ticket allocation) is actually available for people to watch and also brings in a bit more income for the club.

It's just illogical that if it was played 24 hours later, the same thing would apply (thousands of Vale fans in the UK wouldn't be able to attend) but they also wouldn't be able to pay to watch on a stream either.  So fans miss out on seeing a crucial Vale game and the club misses out on revenue.

Most people have broadband and access to a "device", so for some of an older age, physical injuries, mental health etc, its the way forward, for all games

I just think that the away support adds so much more to games and with the option to watch on iFollow this diminishes it somewhat. Add to that the number of people who stream the games over FB and in pubs, and I'm sure that there are a number, then we're also missing out on the revenue stream too.

Don't get me wrong I use iFollow for midweek games and for some that I'm not able to get to Colchester away for example so I'm not completely against it, I just think that it will eventually lead to a poorer matchday experience.

Archived