Match Thread: Hartlepool United v Port Vale

A visit to solid mid-table Hartlepool in their first season back in the FL. Their last 5 games are a win at Newport, draws with Mansfield and FGR last Saturday, and defeats by the Cobblers and Salford, so the deckchairs are not yet out.  Worrall is an injury worry but our bench is strong. Vale will have to show their worth in the promotion race to come back to Burslem with 3 points, to keep our 3rd place margin, and so a Happy Easter for SVA, ready for the Gas.

6 pointers: Gas v Salford, Mansfield v Sutton. Also Cobblers could come a cropper at Oldham.

Darrell Clarke`s Black and White Army

• Like 2

Advert:

Normally a point away from home is a good result, but we really need 3 from this to give us some breathing space for the tough Bristol and Exeter games, and Newport won’t be easy either.

• Like 4

After yesterday I've no nails left . Primed for another 90 minutes of torture plus the mandatory double figures of injury time .

We've just got to do the boring cliché and take each game as it comes. Difficult fixture but so was Salford.

Any chance of a comfortable 2-0 routine win, my nerves are shot. 

• Like 5

Advert:

The defence including midfield defending and strikers holding the ball up in midfield looked shaky yesterday. Goalkeeper also had a game where coming out was alarming at times. But magnificent effort and got the win in the end. We look potent when playing with confidence going forward. But at Hartlepool number one thing we have to be is solid at the back to give the going forward qualities a chance to win the game 1-0, 2-0.  

Big game, their home form has dipped in recent weeks and a win here sees us as the best away team in the league so need to capitalise.

Last game against a side with nothing to play for (Walsall will be their cup final) so need to be intense and try and get a result.

20 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Big game, their home form has dipped in recent weeks and a win here sees us as the best away team in the league so need to capitalise.

Last game against a side with nothing to play for (Walsall will be their cup final) so need to be intense and try and get a result.

What teams have to play for may well change over the coming days/weeks.  By the time we play Newport they could have cemented a playoff place but not be able to reach the automatics, or they could be out of playoff contention.  Similar for Exeter, who may have secured promotion before the last game.

For now things are so tight that the next game is always the biggest game of the season.  5 more cup finals to go.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

After yesterday I've no nails left . Primed for another 90 minutes of torture plus the mandatory double figures of injury time .

We've just got to do the boring cliché and take each game as it comes. Difficult fixture but so was Salford.

Any chance of a comfortable 2-0 routine win, my nerves are shot. 

I love that last sentence and like you, wish for a a nerve-free relatively easy win. However, having supported PV for almost 70 years (that's why I have no hair!) I suspect you, me and all PV followers are going to have our usual  rollercoaster ride for these last 5 matches.  Fasten your seat belts, it may be nerve-wracking but it ain't gonna be boring!

• Like 5

Advert:

I think having watched the pool v Mansfield other week that  Bogle is  handy but there best player limped off forget his name .

I did notice there support was very vocal .

Going be hard but no harder than any other game yesterday we made it hard for ourselves be interesting see how many Vale go the game 670 official it's the unofficial which may surprise folk .

If I was going Walsall I'd camp out as those 741 will go tomorrow the fans who waiting for general sale not a chance lads got nephew going up for is tomoz my m8 at work wants 5 but only one of them a season ticket holder Chaos 

UTV 

Normally a point away from home is a good result, but we really need 3 from this to give us some breathing space for the tough Bristol and Exeter games, and Newport won’t be easy either.
Watching Newport on EFL Goals on Quest yesterday they looked really quite shakey

Posted (edited)

Another opportunity to try and get more daylight between us and 4th place . I hope we play with a mindset to win 3 points like we did at Salford and Barrow 2nd half.

Woz a big concern after yesterday. We need him to maintain balance but if he  is unavailable I hope we don’t rush Gibbo back to compensate.We must find another way.

Even though it’s a short week playing on Friday it’s going to be a long week waiting for the game!!

4more wins to guarantee the P word but I think 3 is going to do it.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

Plan A: Wozzer’s available and we don’t change anything.

I just can’t see Gibbo being available so the round pegs in round holes alternative for me would be a flat back four with Smith at RB and bring Amoo in on the right wing. I think we should stick with Benning at LB because he’ll bomb on more and Walker can cover that defensively.

2 hours ago, Osh said:
8 hours ago, Conrad said:

Watching Newport on EFL Goals on Quest yesterday they looked really quite shakey

Bit like me the last 20 mins in the bycars yesterday.

Advert:

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Plan A: Wozzer’s available and we don’t change anything.

I just can’t see Gibbo being available so the round pegs in round holes alternative for me would be a flat back four with Smith at RB and bring Amoo in on the right wing. I think we should stick with Benning at LB because he’ll bomb on more and Walker can cover that defensively.

I don't think we can should change formation in a vital game with no second chances. We likely need to win every game to come 3rd as Mansfield have slightly easier games over the bank holiday weekend. Moving Benning to right back was a trial against Oldham. I thought he did ok defensively, but he is left footed with some ability in the right foot. Overall I thought it choked our attacking down the right flank looking from Lorne Street and drew pressure on to us. If Worrall is fit he should come back in, but possibly not if a rest would give him max ability to play the last 4 games. Who can play there excluding Worrall depends on what threats Hartlepool pose. If their best play comes down the left then we are going to need a player with experience who can tackle. Otherwise I would be serious about putting Edmondson there because he's got height and physicality. I am tempted to say Amoo, but doesn't feel right. Playing Smith there could work and there we come to Jones and is he ready to start in a role?

Edited by Warren

I think we need to be quick out of the blocks like we were on Saturday. Two goalline clearances otherwise we could have been 2 up early in the game.

It's easy to speculate and criticise on formations and our defending but it's now a 6 game season and we are 3rd with the 2nd best goal difference. All teams are in the same boat... performances don't really matter,it's all about picking up as many points as we can.

All positives for me,let's hope the squad have a good rest,ready to do their best on Friday.

One game at a time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I think we need to be quick out of the blocks like we were on Saturday. Two goalline clearances otherwise we could have been 2 up early in the game.

It's easy to speculate and criticise on formations and our defending but it's now a 6 game season and we are 3rd with the 2nd best goal difference. All teams are in the same boat... performances don't really matter,it's all about picking up as many points as we can.

All positives for me,let's hope the squad have a good rest,ready to do their best on Friday.

One game at a time

Good points🙂

Only 5 games left though.