onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Newport home game switched

50 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Why was that?

It was totally against their ethos, as the whole point of FC United was returning the game to be there for the fans and as they put it "to make friends, not millionaires". 

I've a feeling in the end they buckled but not without a fight - and a very admirable one at that. 

Advert

Think I will be in the minority but for me without the TV money that the football league gets from Sky, many league 1 and 2 clubs would have gone out of business in the last couple of years because of COVID.  I might be wrong but League 2 clubs get around £470000 a year from the TV money with the contract with Sky.  

We might not like it but TV companies at this stage of the season need to wait as late as possible for picking their TV games, they want to get as high a viewing figure as possible and if they picked the games 2 months in advance, a good chance those matches might end up been meaningless.  I know it could turn out ours might not mean anything but at this moment in time Salford v Mansfield and Vale v Newport are the 2 games that matters.

If we are to progress, we need to get used to matches been changed for TV coverage and if in League 1, likelihood of matches getting called off when international breaks take place, there are usually 5 or 6 games off when international weekend.

For a lot of people Sky is there only way of seeing football, football clubs have priced them out of attending now and at least they can watch it even if on TV.

I'm sorry to say I have to take this one on the chin. Some months ago I thought it would be a good idea to go and watch Sparks (This town ain't big enough for the both of us) in Helsinki. I booked the flights for the Sunday after the game. Obviously, the game is now on the Monday and I've already pictured myself wandering the streets of a foreign capital frantically trying to find somewhere that will be broadcasting an English league 2 game.

The bigger picture is, my club will benefit not only from the money but also from the added publicity. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that the Scandinavian football gods shine their light on me. 

I know the Valiant tentacles spread far and wide so if there are any Vale fans who could suggest a venue in Helsinki that might show the game I would be mighty grateful.

UTV

It's truly wonderful that we are in this position. It means we are being successful and the club is well and truly on the up.

Sky dictate! That is the crux of the matter. Carol has no say other than to vote yay or nay when ALL Chairmen / Chairwomen are asked whether or not to accept Sky's money by the EFL. A previous poster has said it's a basic £470,000 per club in league 2. Plus fees for live matches £70,000 for a home team. A big percentage of turnover for most league 2 clubs.

Regarding VAR spreading to the lower leagues then we all have a decision to make ... Either accept the fact that your heart will be over the moon with excitement when Vale score and the Ref points to the penalty spot only to have heartbreak when VAR jump in when the match is about to restart and the goal gets disallowed.

Or start supporting your local non league side, where it's VAR Free. 

Having supported Vale since 1957 I will always be a Vale fan. However, I am a traditionalist who believes that the decision made by the Ref, either right or wrong, is final and provides great debate in the pub!!

IMHO VAR is there for no reason other than to provide a definitive decision for the Bookies and Sky.

A football match has always been the best 'instant' sporting occasion. VAR destroys the very roots of what makes the game great.

The more the game's rule makers change the rules the weaker the game becomes. 

If it's not broken don't fix it. Just look how the world's finest cup competition has been ruined.

Sorry to have completely gone off topic. 

Well  I'm  effed off about it.  Having paid to watch every game for five years? Then get kicked into touch. Whilst your rellies in the UK who have no interest in Vale can watch it on Sky.  You can't get it here. Not possible.

So my sis and brother-in-law sit on a couch with their Sky package and will be able to watch the game? Man U fans.  And I, as a massive Vale fan, who has paid for and watched every game for five <ovf censored> seasons cannot?

How does that work?

(yeah I know the answer Sky do what they want)

I'm in the p1zt off camp with this because I'm working on the Monday. But attending fans aren't really a concern for the TV companies . For decades now we have taken the money. And for decades there have been box holders and seaon ticket holders in the bycars who are told they have to give up their seats if SKY come to town. The fact is there probably wouldn't be a Port Vale without SKY and there deffenetly wouldn't be I follow so we just have to take the hit. It's a good problem to have it's shows we are doing well. When was the last time we have been on the TV 3 times in a season?

Well  I'm  effed off about it.  Having paid to watch every game for five years? Then get kicked into touch. Whilst your rellies in the UK who have no interest in Vale can watch it on Sky.  You can't get it here. Not possible.
So my sis and brother-in-law sit on a couch with their Sky package and will be able to watch the game? Man U fans.  And I, as a massive Vale fan, who has paid for and watched every game for five seasons cannot?
How does that work?

Is it not on iFollow as it’s on sky? How did you watch the Bradford game ? Was that the same scenario ?

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

So my sis and brother-in-law sit on a couch with their Sky package and will be able to watch the game? Man U fans.  And I, as a massive Vale fan, who has paid for and watched every game for five <ovf censored> seasons cannot?

How does that work?

Where are u living mars?? 
Is there not a bar/pub near u that shows sky football 

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

How does that work?

Its a bugger isnt it. I know if in UK you can buy a now TV (who are owned by Sky) sports day pass for about 12 quid (iv done it myself in the past), but dont know if that operates abroad.

International fans will still be able to listen to the Newport game on iFollow but won't see any video on iFollow, it's not ideal but at least it's something.  In effect it's back to how things were pre-iFollow video when for a Vale fan living abroad or far away in the UK the only option was to listen to the Radio Stoke commentary, which is what I used to do.

The Newport game may be shown on ESPN+ in some countries (I'll investigate here nearer the time) but I don't know if ESPN+ is available everywhere.  I've watched Vale games on ESPN+ when not shown on iFollow but shown on ESPN+ eg Burton and Man C FA Cup games.

I'm with Toyah on this as it's a faff, a pain in the butt and more than a tad unfair.

14 hours ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Where are u living mars?? 
Is there not a bar/pub near u that shows sky football 

No.  I live in the Netherlands. There is no Sky TV in the Netherlands.  You should get out more. Not all Vale fans live in the UK. 

Hope there is a stream from somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

No.  I live in the Netherlands. There is no Sky TV in the Netherlands.  You should get out more. Not all Vale fans live in the UK. 

I’m going to dig into this and try to figure out a way you can watch it. You can’t get the  ESPN + app in Europe , which makes no sense as we can get the iFollow app here , as Paul explained.  There used to be stream links that Vale fans would put on here . Anyway , we’ll sort you out one way or another. 

6 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I never knew there was no sky in the Netherlands what’s the reason? 

Fair enough it’s pretty <ovf censored> for u guys 

Archived