• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Underated players

Walka003

Advert:

Controversial but I think the relegation squad was underrated. They weren't great, but I think we would have stayed up if Brown didn't try to change the entire squad in 4 weeks.

Change should have been made in the summer.

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Richie D. said:

I really liked Lee Mills and thought he was under rated somewhat. It was a superb side and he tended to get overlooked a bit I thought. 

Came as a raw £200,000 makeweight. Left for £1,000,000. Someone certainly rated him.

34 minutes ago, EricHamesis said:

Came as a raw £200,000 makeweight. Left for £1,000,000. Someone certainly rated him.

Good point!😊 I can stop move on now knowing it wasn’t just me.

Advert:

9 hours ago, Emile said:

Controversial but I think the relegation squad was underrated. They weren't great, but I think we would have stayed up if Brown didn't try to change the entire squad in 4 weeks.

Michael Brown didn't try to change the entire squad in 4 weeks, he didn't want any of the 3 key players who left right at the end of the Jan Transfer window in 2017 and if any had stayed, as it turned out, Vale may have stayed up.  Jak Alnwick and Alex Jones were poached by Rangers and Bradford City respectively and Anthony Grant wanted to go and was sold to Posh for a reputedly 6 figure fee which no doubt found it's way into Smurthwaite's back pocket.

Michael Brown was aware of the potential out going transfers and talk was he had an experienced goal keeper and striker lined up as replacements but Smurthwaite stopped any incoming transfers. The weakness in the squad was Ribeiro and the dozen of so players  untried and untested in English League football.

50/50 on this. There were some decent players (ive mentioned two in my opening post), but they were largely hopeless. We would have stayed up if it wasnt for the Alnwick/grant/jones situation. Bruno was hamstrung with hopeless signings fed to him by Smurf agent friend, but started pretty well.

Best thing Bruno did for the club was guve smithy a run. Nearly 300 appearances later, its difficult to imagine vale without him.

A few of mine….

Lewis Haldane - at times a bit of a headless chicken, often with little end product and usually gassing after 60 mins but as I recall we were a really dour, unexciting and struggling team and he was what we needed at that time because we developed a pattern of play around him.

Ian Bogie - a superb, silky smooth footballer with a bit of ‘needle’, once labelled the ‘new Gazza’ but for some reason become a bit of a lower league journeyman. Would still be of my favourite Vale midfielders without that stunner after 12 secs vs Stoke.

Anthony Griffiths - similar to Haldane comments. His ability with the ball was shocking for a pro footballer, but he had energy broke up the play.

Anthony Grant - he was immense at times in L1, predominantly a ball winner  but was very, very good in other areas as well. Gutted when he left.

• Like 1

Advert: