Underated players

Walka003

Advert:

Two recent ones

1. Marcus Harness - Obviously has since gone on to have a good career, but felt at the time he was trying to do the right things in a poor team. 

2. Tyler Denton - yes not great defensively but when he played i thought he was tidy on the ball and looked alright going forward. No idea where he is at now? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Two recent ones

1. Marcus Harness - Obviously has since gone on to have a good career, but felt at the time he was trying to do the right things in a poor team. 

2. Tyler Denton - yes not great defensively but when he played i thought he was tidy on the ball and looked alright going forward. No idea where he is at now? 

King's Lynn

22 hours ago, Walka003 said:
22 hours ago, geoff1 said:
jordan hugill?

Do you count as underated when you get sold for our first transfer fee in years?

i presumed people meant underated at the club , he was very p-off when not chosen regularly to play. he and enoch andho  often seen on the training ground sulking. the transfer meant that other clubs didnt underate him! stlli each to their own.😉

Advert:

22 hours ago, Walka003 said:

A little before my time, but some of the people that sit near me always say that Ronnie Jepson was the best vale striker never to score a goal.

Decent player for the Vale and unlucky not to score, Rudgie sold him to Preston, (which went to finance to Robin Van der Laan transfer) and he scored a hat trick on his debut!

Unsure if you can call him under rated as i dont think many of us saw him play, but Calvin Mac-intosh from the Bruno year is playing regularly for Cambuur, 11th in the Dutch top flight!

2 hours ago, geoff1 said:

i presumed people meant underated at the club , he was very p-off when not chosen regularly to play. he and enoch andho  often seen on the training ground sulking. the transfer meant that other clubs didnt underate him! stlli each to their own.😉

Not sure how that's the case when Hugill was sold 5 months before Andoh joined us.

• Haha 1

On 07/04/2022 at 22:21, Hitcher said:

Very much so. 

• Like 1

Advert:

I was a big fan of Alan Lamb who played for the Vale  in seasons 1976/77 and 77/78, he was a culture midfield player and good passer of the ball. Some fans used to get on his back terribly 'cause he didn't run around the field like a headless chicken with his studs up.

• Like 1

Porter, Joyce, Pett, Pilkington (George). All players that make those around them look better.

Also, one from the current squad, who is a bit of an unsung hero is Ryan Edmondson. Every time he has come on, he's done a job, and he's very rarely been allowed to play in his best position. Good attitude!

• Like 2

On 08/04/2022 at 23:31, Paul6754 said:

I was a big fan of Alan Lamb who played for the Vale  in seasons 1976/77 and 77/78, he was a culture midfield player and good passer of the ball. Some fans used to get on his back terribly 'cause he didn't run around the field like a headless chicken with his studs up.

Did even better at Cricket 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Porter, Joyce, Pett, Pilkington (George). All players that make those around them look better.

I remember when Porter was brought back into the team for a cameo in 2004-5 when there was an injury crisis. I'd always remembered him as a dogged, ballwinner and/or man marker in those great JR sides but when he played in '04, he showed better passing skills than anyone else in the team. I guess, as a player who featured regularly in the Championship, it shouldn't have been a surprise to see his quality. 

I guess a lot of it is down to who else in the team and the job you are given - with Walker, Bogie and so on... Porter never had that chance to show that as well as "biting their legs" he could pass a bit too. 

Advert:

Also, one from the current squad, who is a bit of an unsung hero is Ryan Edmondson. Every time he has come on, he's done a job, and he's very rarely been allowed to play in his best position. Good attitude!
I also think there's another one in the current squad. Alex Hurst.

Plays about 5 positions, gives 100% whenever called upon. Not sure ive ever seen him have less than a 6/10 performance. When we were absolutely dire under Askey, he was the only one to come out of some of those games with any semblance of credit. He'll get the bullet in the summer and rightly so as he's not at the same level as the rest of the squad, but he'll go with my best wishes and i think should get a starting berth at a top end national league, bottom half L2 team

He's actually under contract for another year. I'm a bit surprised that with his chances limited he didn't get a loan move to say a National League side in January to get some regular football.

He's actually under contract for another year. I'm a bit surprised that with his chances limited he didn't get a loan move to say a National League side in January to get some regular football.
I just read that too, i don't remember him signing that new contract. Also didn't realise he was 22, had it in my head he was around 25/26

Would agree though, why he didn't get a loan is beyond me. Maybe a symptom of our injury crisis around that time