Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

7 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Should correct this as misread it a little but they have actually said there is a handful (their words) remaining in the Railway Stand. Either way its looking good.

No Railway stand tickets available to walk up customers. You can still get one on tinterner for another few hours.

Same as the Bradford game where people were then buying in the paddock and jumping up over the wall.

It's to do with safety certificate numbers.

• Like 1

Advert:

Absolutely buzzing for this one. Historically, this would have invariably meant an absolute dog dirt performance and a defeat. But this squad, I believe, is world's apart from anything we've had for at least a decade. Every player seems to have an uber professional approach to their career (no more going drinking if you don't think you're going to be selected in the first 11, or just trying your best). Also, every one has the actual ability to affect games in a positive way. If we don't go up this season, it will be an absolute travesty. If we do, then it will be against all the odds given the barriers that would have broken most teams (DC, horrendous injuries, all strikers out long term etc). The recruitment has been fantastic. Long live the scumbag, DC, and AC!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Jammy bugger......2005 Colchester away at the old Layer Road was my last live game.....been working around the world since then. I have had an iFollow season pass since they started though, which has eased the pain!

Similarly myself have found IFollow to be fantastic over the years, albeit just as nerve wracking watching it on TV as it is live😀. I've retired now but am still living abroad but have flown back in this week and will be going to the game today, cant wait....................................................

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Absolutely buzzing for this one. Historically, this would have invariably meant an absolute dog dirt performance and a defeat. But this squad, I believe, is world's apart from anything we've had for at least a decade. Every player seems to have an uber professional approach to their career (no more going drinking if you don't think you're going to be selected in the first 11, or just trying your best). Also, every one has the actual ability to affect games in a positive way. If we don't go up this season, it will be an absolute travesty. If we do, then it will be against all the odds given the barriers that would have broken most teams (DC, horrendous injuries, all strikers out long term etc). The recruitment has been fantastic. Long live the scumbag, DC, and AC!

Top post, in the past if we’ve been on a decent run it would’ve been a ‘typical Vale, get a big crowd and then flop’ sort of expectation but I don’t actually think that will happen. We might not win today but whichever way we’re definitely onto something.

On a one off game, this side beats the previous promotion team for me, a striker in his absolute prime, a very good winger in JMW and possibly the goalkeeper aside, the current team is better in every other department IMO. We had some really good players for a time in L1; Grant, M O’Connor, Alnwick, Foley, Lines, but they never felt like our own somehow… Whereas to me it feels as if guys like Pett or Garrity have played for us for years?? Best bunch for a very long time. 

Edited by southernsausage
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, southernsausage said:

Top post, in the past if we’ve been on a decent run it would’ve been a ‘typical Vale, get a big crowd and then flop’ sort of expectation but I don’t actually think that will happen. We might not win today but whichever way we’re definitely onto something.

On a one off game, this side beats the previous promotion team for me, a striker in his absolute prime, a very good winger in JMW and possibly the goalkeeper aside, the current team is better in every department IMO. We had some really good players for a time in L1; Grant, M O’Connor, Alnwick, Foley, Lines, but they never felt like our own somehow… Whereas to me it feels as if guys like Pett or Garrity have played for us for years?? Best bunch for a very long time. 

Absolutely. There is now an honest camaraderie evident throughout the whole Club and it is showing in the squad performances.

We can now believe that anyone can step in and do a job.

From The Management, players and fans there is a belief that this is a time to be a Vale fan.

As has been said previously, if we don't make it this season(God forbid!) then we surely are on the right track in every single aspect of the Club to see Vale rise from the ashes and almost certain death to a future of optimism and success.

Well done to everyone who have Vale in their hearts, this has been a crazy but very pleasing one so now let's get out there and cement our promotion place. VTID. 

• Like 8

Advert:

I'm looking froward to today's game more years than I can remember. We haven't had a team & manager I was confident would achieve success since Rob Page left. And I cant recall ever feeling as confident in the stewardship of the club, even during the early/mid 1990's when we were at our most successful. The management and atmosphere around our club at the moment would be the envy of many fans in the football league. Cherish it!  Oldham will not be a pushover today and after recent wins will be more confident. I anticipate 3-1 for Vale though. UTV!

• Like 2

There are so many games where the top teams are playing each other (including us)in the coming weeks that makes me think that 10pts will get us up.I’d love it if we clinched it at Warsaw for a few reasons.3 pts today will do nicely.UTV.

• Like 3

Just for interest these are this season’s average attendances. No wonder Bradford can afford Sparky and no surprise at the bottom.

Bradford City

2 Swindon Town 9,194
3 Bristol Rovers 7,185
4 Tranmere Rovers 6,828
5 Port Vale 5,606
6 Northampton Town 5,247
7 Hartlepool United 5,191
8 Mansfield Town 4,994
9 Leyton Orient 4,973
10 Oldham Athletic 4,899
11 Carlisle United 4,895
12 Exeter City 4,826
13 Walsall 4,775
14 Newport County 4,130
15 Barrow 3,147
16 Sutton United 3,017
17 Stevenage 2,855
18 Rochdale 2,850
19 Colchester United 2,759
20 Scunthorpe United 2,665
21 Forest Green Rovers 2,597
22 Harrogate Town 2,240
23 Crawley Town 2,233
24 Salford City 2,074
  • Like 1

Advert:

Some folk seem this will be 3-1, 3-0, 4-1, 4-0 etc. I’ll be ecstatic with a 1-0 win as I think this will be a very hard game. Oldham have their talisman back - Piergianni - and he always has a good game against us. They lost 6 straight games without him which illustrates his importance to their defence. They also have a player in Keillor-Dunn who’s scored more goals this season than any Vale player. 
This will be tough and we will need to be bang at it to take the three points. I just hope the players aren’t as complacent as some of our fans. UTV.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jeffers said:

Just for interest these are this season’s average attendances. No wonder Bradford can afford Sparky and no surprise at the bottom.

Bradford City

2 Swindon Town 9,194
3 Bristol Rovers 7,185
4 Tranmere Rovers 6,828
5 Port Vale 5,606
6 Northampton Town 5,247
8 Mansfield Town 4,994
9 Leyton Orient 4,973
10 Oldham Athletic 4,899
11 Carlisle United 4,895
12 Exeter City 4,826
13 Walsall 4,775
14 Newport County 4,130
15 Barrow 3,147
16 Sutton United 3,017
17 Stevenage 2,855
18 Rochdale 2,850
22 Harrogate Town 2,240
23 Crawley Town 2,233
24 Salford City 2,074

Biggest suprise for me in that list is Exeter. I don't know why but i always thought they had bigger crowds.

Maybe it's cause the last game i went one of their stands was being rebuilt so other seats looked busy and their terrace behind the goal is huge

Advert:

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Some folk seem this will be 3-1, 3-0, 4-1, 4-0 etc. I’ll be ecstatic with a 1-0 win as I think this will be a very hard game. Oldham have their talisman back - Piergianni - and he always has a good game against us. They lost 6 straight games without him which illustrates his importance to their defence. They also have a player in Keillor-Dunn who’s scored more goals this season than any Vale player. 
This will be tough and we will need to be bang at it to take the three points. I just hope the players aren’t as complacent as some of our fans. UTV.

Confidence in what we are witnessing however you are right nothing be complacent about we have to earn the right win the game it will certainly not be easy however with intensity shown by crowd and players who knows theres no reason why we cannot .

Belief has being created by players so they have to see it through now its up to us encourage and help them on there way .

Just got here parked up dropped lad and nephew (he is 18 today )at the clayhanger and I'm going for a walk to relax before joining them for a quick pint at 2 as in work tonight .

The players and owners have created the crowd today along with magnificent DC and all his staff .

I'll be proud as punch if over 9k there I hope that's the case .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

Judging by the lads arriving at the station, their fans are fairly up for this, hope we all are too!

Proper mix of excitement and trepidation for me. The experienced Vale fan in me says classic let-down 1-1 (a la Bradford), but the born-again Valiant who has absolute faith in this squad and management says big step towards promotion and 3-1. 

Either way, let's have it! UTV!

• Like 4

Bradford City

2 Swindon Town 9,194
3 Bristol Rovers 7,185
4 Tranmere Rovers 6,828
5 Port Vale 5,606
6 Northampton Town 5,247
8 Mansfield Town 4,994
9 Leyton Orient 4,973
10 Oldham Athletic 4,899
11 Carlisle United 4,895
12 Exeter City 4,826
13 Walsall 4,775
14 Newport County 4,130
15 Barrow 3,147
16 Sutton United 3,017
17 Stevenage 2,855
18 Rochdale 2,850
22 Harrogate Town 2,240
23 Crawley Town 2,233
24 Salford City 2,074

Bradford charge half the cost we do for a season ticket so probably don’t financially make massively more hence their relatively mediocre signings like Theo Robinson!
  • Like 1