Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

The last half an hour of yesterday was torture but I think on the balance of play over the 90 we were the better team and deserved the win. 

Just watching our goals back this morning the second one there was some lovely passing football in the lead up to Edmundson’s cross to Proctor and the third was what Walker has been threatening to do for a while.

In retrospect I suspect Worralls injury forced Crosbys hand as otherwise Garrity may have been subbed for Jake Taylor as he was looking like he was just too eager to impress against his old club and it was affecting his performance a little.

Well done to the players and coaching staff again though for digging another win out.

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

The last half an hour of yesterday was torture but I think on the balance of play over the 90 we were the better team and deserved the win. 

Just watching our goals back this morning the second one there was some lovely passing football in the lead up to Edmundson’s cross to Proctor and the third was what Walker has been threatening to do for a while.

In retrospect I suspect Worralls injury forced Crosbys hand as otherwise Garrity may have been subbed for Jake Taylor as he was looking like he was just too eager to impress against his old club and it was affecting his performance a little.

Well done to the players and coaching staff again though for digging another win out.

Yes, I noticed that too. Jake had stripped and was ready to come on but Worrall's injury changed Crosby's mind.

Think I've just about calmed down now, that was not a fun finish to the game! 🥴

Preface this with saying it's not a criticism given how awesomehe'sbeen this last couple of months, (more likely just a first slight sign of jitters given the position we're in), but I actually think yesterday may have seen a first small mis-step from AC. If he was planning to take off Wilson around the hour, why not do that for Hussey and move Edmondson up, rather than bringing Harratt on in between? Thought we wasted a sub there that we really needed in that last 10 minutes, especially as Edmondson must have had his tail up after that tremendous assist.

Also, part of the reason we lost the midfield last 20 was that we dropped too deep, something we used to do a lot when in the lead, but not so often recently. That's possibly because Oldham were quite nippy up top and pushed us back, but meant there was too big a gap between back 6 (as it turned into) and front 2 for Charsley and Garrity to patrol, despite their best efforts.

Credit to Oldham and their fans, really hope they stay up, definitely think they deserve to based on our two games this season, but given the additional quality we showed first half we probably made that harder for ourselves than it needed to be. Great that we're winning scrappily though, testament to the fortitude we have in this squad.

My Leicester fan mate who came along for the game said it was a cracking game for the (almost) neutral, thought we were the better side overall, and it was right result given first half quality. Was impressed with Wilson's touch, Proctor's general play, the second goal and in particular Edmondson's assist. 

We both reckon Vale are going up, although I might find the process of getting there more stressful than him! UTBV!

• Like 6

Has anybody seen oldhams games to play. They can have a huge affect on the teams in the top ten. Hope they win every game they have got left

• Like 4

Advert:

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Osh said:

Cheers m8. It's going really well. Had 9mm of bone taken out of my thigh 10 days ago and I'm amazed how well I'm recuperating. Thought I might have an outside chance of making Exeter - just an hour down the road from me, but didn't think I'd make Vale Park again this season. Now I'm thinking I might make the Newport match; but I'd need to come up on the train - going to check today as, with it now being a BH match, I might be screwed! ☹️

KTK and UTV - WNE

Osh im a bit confused - are you saying you will be able to play or not? 🤣😁👍👍👍

speedy recovery mucka 👍

Edited by Hoppers
  • Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 18:22, Coyney Valiant said:

Do you really think there was only 6300 at the Sutton game that means the ground was less than a third full 

It seemed about right to me, the railway paddock was empty. 

Has anybody seen oldhams games to play. They can have a huge affect on the teams in the top ten. Hope they win every game they have got left
If they play like they did against us then they have every chance of doing that
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:
21 minutes ago, dono said:

If they play like they did against us then they have every chance of doing that

I would hope they stay up for their fans sake, despite the problems at the club. It would be shocking for them as founder members of the Premier League in the 90s

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Osh im a bit confused - are you saying you will be able to play or not? 🤣😁👍👍👍

speedy recovery mucka 👍

I'll just get me boots out the shed and give a polish m8 😨

• Haha 1

Advert:

15 hours ago, MBE said:

Thought we played really well 1st half but just made a lot of individual errors at the back. Game should have been out of sight.

Fantastic goal from Walker and defended well 2nd half but I thought a lot of the lads looked quite leggy even Garrity and Charley. 

3 points us all that matters and a little bit of a cushion now to the teams below us accept Mansfield. Good day all round for the club with money in the till from a very good crowd.

5 more nail bitters  to come.

We were our own worst enemies in the first half but fair play to Oldham who took advantage of our weakness to defend at the far post.Wonderful winning goal from Walker and JP's game management with the ball boys.

Getting the three points is all that matters.

• Like 2

We were our own worst enemies in the first half but fair play to Oldham who took advantage of our weakness to defend at the far post.Wonderful winning goal from Walker and JP's game management with the ball boys.
Thought we were OK in the first half

1 hour ago, Mario said:
2 hours ago, For Us All said:

Thought we were OK in the first half

We were,started off great but defensively I though we were poor at defending crosses on the far post.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, For Us All said:

We were,started off great but defensively I though we were poor at defending crosses on the far post.

And stopping the crosses coming in. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

And stopping the crosses coming in. 

I thought AC took positive action by bringing Hussy on for Edmondson. At the time their No.7 was causing all sorts of trouble down our left. As soon as Hussy came on the same player barely got a cross in.

When they put Piergianni up front though it did cause us issues as it did in the reverse fixture. I’m glad to see the back of Oldham as they’ve caused us more problems than most teams including FGR!!! 

• Like 3

Advert:

15 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Great result today. What a massive weekend to come. If we can get a win at Hartlepool and then even a draw against either Brizzle or Warsaw, then we could be going into the live TV game knowing a win will take us up. 

I still think Mansfield have a slightly easier run in but without doubt better to have points in the bag vs games in hand.

Not sure about Mansfield having an easier run in:

Sutton (H) - Sutton need points for playoff push

Carlisle (A) - Carlisle have beaten Northampton and Bristol Rovers in recent weeks, got a point against Tranmere and nearly got one against Exeter

Crawley (H) - looks the easiest of their fixtures

Stevenage (H) - we saw yesterday how a side fighting for their lives can make a game very tough

Salford (A) - Salford likely to need points for playoffs

Foresr Green (H) - possible that FGR might need something for the title. Even if they don’t they’ve been a tough side to beat all season so it would be hoped they won’t just down tools

If they win 5 or all 6 you would have to take your hat off to them. Equally the only thing the lads can control is our own results - as we did yesterday we just need to find the way to win our own games.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Not sure about Mansfield having an easier run in:

Sutton (H) - Sutton need points for playoff push

Carlisle (A) - Carlisle have beaten Northampton and Bristol Rovers in recent weeks, got a point against Tranmere and nearly got one against Exeter

Crawley (H) - looks the easiest of their fixtures

Stevenage (H) - we saw yesterday how a side fighting for their lives can make a game very tough

Salford (A) - Salford likely to need points for playoffs

Foresr Green (H) - possible that FGR might need something for the title. Even if they don’t they’ve been a tough side to beat all season so it would be hoped they won’t just down tools

If they win 5 or all 6 you would have to take your hat off to them. Equally the only thing the lads can control is our own results - as we did yesterday we just need to find the way to win our own games.

Bang on. Someone’s going to drop points along the way, it could easily be them as well as us, but they haven’t got that easy a run in. However if we also keep winning then it’s in our hands and we go up automatically. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I thought AC took positive action by bringing Hussy on for Edmondson. At the time their No.7 was causing all sorts of trouble down our left. As soon as Hussy came on the same player barely got a cross in.

When they put Piergianni up front though it did cause us issues as it did in the reverse fixture. I’m glad to see the back of Oldham as they’ve caused us more problems than most teams including FGR!!! 

Totally agree. One of bennings big problems is stopping crosses and Hussey helped to shore it up on that side at least. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1