Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Advert:

Great result today. What a massive weekend to come. If we can get a win at Hartlepool and then even a draw against either Brizzle or Warsaw, then we could be going into the live TV game knowing a win will take us up. 

I still think Mansfield have a slightly easier run in but without doubt better to have points in the bag vs games in hand.

• Like 1

I think...I hope...that we have one secret weapon acting in our favour? These lads are now playing for their bon uses! I'm not suggesting they're being greedy or mercenary, but I would think there will be extra for automatic promotion rather than reaching the playoffs? And let's be fair - if we go up, the whole of the playing staff, coaching staff, Dc, AC and DF have done a magnificent job for our brilliant owners. And the benefit of good coaching! I think 4 from 5 will see us up?

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Can I please add now. Might come across as negative so I apologise in advance. 

What this squad, club , staff have achieved is fantastic.  The trials and tribulations we have endured is incredible. 

If we do come up short (I did apologise for being negative, ) then we have still achieved beyond belief 

As someone who likes a dabble I'd now be in the Seychelles in June had Proctor and Wilson been fit all season. 

Whatever happens now I'm proud as punch , an unbelievable coming together by the club and fans .

Just so much this, it is not so long ago that our little club was threatened with closure.  I really cannot imagine the impact that would have had on the community in Burslem, neither can I imagine what I would have done with my Saturdays. 

Even before that the club was on its arse, due to complete mismanagement for the longest time.  Now, in every interview, the topics of togetherness and community within the club come up.  It seems to permeate every aspect of the club. 

Looking at where Oldham are now brings into focus where we were, and where we would be if not for the intervention of our current owners.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Powerline said:

On another note, did anyone else wonder why we watered the pitch so much with the sprinklers? Our own players must’ve slipped about 4/5 times.

Yes I thought that given that it’s hardly stopped raining all week.

• Like 2

Advert:

Guys any news on Wozzer...??

Day and watched it on the couch trying not to rupture my stitched; great game but heart was in my mouth towards the end.

Ugly win but I'll take winning ugly every day for 3 points!

Onwards and upwards. 5 more cup finals; think we'll get 3 wins and 2 draws and go up automatically myself.

UTV and KTF

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Osh said:

Day and watched it on the couch trying not to rupture my stitched; great game but heart was in my mouth towards the end.

Onwards and upwards. 5 more cup finals; think we'll get 3 wins and 2 draws and go up automatically myself.

UTV and KTF

Crosby said Worrall was a hip problem. Hopefully it’s contact related rather than muscle or joint related.

A return to fitness for Gibbo would be very timely.

• Like 1

No point trying to predict how many points we need because at the moment it looks like a straight fight between us and Mansfield. We need to match them stride for stride. 

• Like 4

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Think Oldham will stay up personally I think out of all the Home games I've being they have especially second half been one of the better sides I've seen up Vale they troubled us a lot .

When season started Dan jones was used as a right sided player couldn't  understand why he didn't get the nod come on .

I think Edmondson  contribution was OK  think the work for the second goal was excellent in general a great ball in .

Here's me marks .

Stone 6 deary me first half coming out his area catching the ball the wrong side of the line then looking very uncomfortable for there two goals,thought second half he did well though caught everything and making a save,although I thought his kicking was poor throughout  

Smith 5 All at sea for there 2 goals both coming in area of pitch where he defends  maybe it was nerves no idea why he was so poor first half second half improved but still let his man get wrong side of him luckily he headed wide ,not going be too hard on him as his performances are generally a 7 minimum .

Martin 6 won some big headers second half kept the Vale organised had a headed attempt over going other way think he generally did OK. 

Hall 5 his hardest game yet struggled to get us going the other way there Kellor whatever his name is was causing him problems .

Walker 7.5 passes it beautifully his goal was deserved he as smashed a glorious effort just wide v Salford and I felt he was going score at some point in the run in well the winning goal in a game where we were say a 5 out of 10 last 50 mins well its priceless that well done great moment we had a mental in the railway stand .

Garrity 5 I thought he was  having a OK game till he was booked ,just shows important he is he showed discipline after the booking though to remain on the pitch sending off you got be kidding BG always plays to win the ball generally he wins it fair and square like yesterday .

Benning 7.3 very impressed again with benning he was positive he was most excellent in his own position and then at go play in a role unfamiliar to him but I didn't see any mistakes from him so fair play  well played 

Worrall 6 think Worrall was doing well till got injured (hip I believe )sad see him go off as he was playing OK had a shot flashing wide .

Wilson 7.0 first shot of game parried by keeper his movement superb allowing Proctor the chance get shots away ,involved in winning goal then replaced .

Did well .

Proctor 7.7 two beautifully taken goals if Port Vale are to be automatically promoted it is essential that Jamie plays all 90 of last 5 the work he does just get a tiny bit of space to me does not go unnoticed ,I knew from the first time I saw him v Sunderland in league cup his unselfish play and great feet were going be a good fit for Vale .

He's brilliant .

Charsley 6 started game like a steam train playing really well as game went on hardly noticed him so credit to Oldham shutting down both Charsley and Garrity and having too much of the ball for my liking .

Subs 

Edmondson 7 I'm giving him that as that ball in for 2nd goal deserves it sacrificed for the team and playing in a position what I'd alien to him I guess .

Hussey 5 looked like he hadn't played for weeks to be fair a slightly iffy challenge in stoppage time but I'd have being livid if a penalty was given. 

Crowd got behind the team after the 3rd goal the atmosphere was OK but I expect it be taken up ten notches v Bristol Rovers with there huge away following coming. 

We won and we were at best average .

To me that tells me that we are capable of finishing in the automatic positions but be warned we cannot give poor goals away like that v Exeter Newport and Bristol Rovers well any of the remaining five games. 

In a way its good as they can put it right this week in training as at Salford we weren't defending like that the only thing I can think is that nerves are jangling a bit and that's understandable .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Santa said:

No point trying to predict how many points we need because at the moment it looks like a straight fight between us and Mansfield. We need to match them stride for stride. 

The more Vale & Mansfield go toe to toe could easily bring Exeter into the mix. Could be a winner takes all in the final game.

• Like 2

Vale played some sublime attacking stuff up to it being 3-2, and were exposed to the long ball as a consequence, and some of our defending was atrocious. 
From then on we tried to throw a blanket over the game, sitting deeper.
It succeeded.
Just.
First goal was brilliant play from both Connor Hall, and Proctor, who was super alert, and super cool.
Edmundson's cross was sublime for the second.
Walker's goal was down to the coaching staff.
In some ways a brilliant performance, and in others, awful.
I guess that's what happens when you push and take risks...
Super entertainment.
I think Vale are playing at the limits.
Crosby is pushing them hard and getting them to play at their peak.
Mistakes will happen.
It's brilliant, quite high risk management.

• Like 5

Guest Vale at home
5 hours ago, Osh said:

UTV and KTF

Get well soon .Osh  vale need 3 more points from the next game . Come on the vale . 

Advert:

1 hour ago, saintvaliant said:

Crosby said Worrall was a hip problem. Hopefully it’s contact related rather than muscle or joint related.

A return to fitness for Gibbo would be very timely.

Cheers Saint 👍

11 minutes ago, Vale at home said:

Get well soon .Osh  vale need 3 more points from the next game . Come on the vale . 

Cheers m8. It's going really well. Had 9mm of bone taken out of my thigh 10 days ago and I'm amazed how well I'm recuperating. Thought I might have an outside chance of making Exeter - just an hour down the road from me, but didn't think I'd make Vale Park again this season. Now I'm thinking I might make the Newport match; but I'd need to come up on the train - going to check today as, with it now being a BH match, I might be screwed! ☹️

KTK and UTV - WNE

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Osh said:

Cheers m8. It's going really well. Had 9mm of bone taken out of my thigh 10 days ago and I'm amazed how well I'm recuperating. Thought I might have an outside chance of making Exeter - just an hour down the road from me, but didn't think I'd make Vale Park again this season. Now I'm thinking I might make the Newport match; but I'd need to come up on the train - going to check today as, with it now being a BH match, I might be screwed! ☹️

KTK and UTV - WNE

Jeez that sound painful. I’m hoping you make a direct recovery to make it to VP. Take it easy.

• Like 2