onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

For some reason, this morning I recalled the 3-2 home win v Oldham towards the end of the 96/97 play-off attempt season in the Championship (as it is now) - think Tony Naylor scored 2 absolute wonder goals. Turns out it was 25 years ago this weekend......#RetroDay ! 😀

Never thought that today would produce the same scoreline!

(......hopefully that's where history stops repeating itself as we didn't win again, including losing at the Shitoria Ground and then missed out on the play-offs!)

1 minute ago, aspin for england said:

Had many chances to clear the ball for their first goal and Stone should have put the ball at the back of Lorne st for their second . Both goals could have been avoided with a size 12 hoof behind the ball

No doubt that the backroom team will analyse the nuts off the conceded goals and make sure that  those mistakes are irradiated for the next match. Always good to be able to this with three points under the belt, meaning no great harm done. 

20 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I hope I am wrong but think we need 4 wins myself, I can see Mansfield winning at home to Sutton, Crawley, Stevenage and at Carlisle, then you never know against Salford and Forest Green who might have won the league and nothing play for.  I think one win and that would mean a play off assured.

I think Mansfield will struggle to take maximum points from their Sutton, Salford and FGR games.

its a flipping nightmare is the table - its anyones down to 11th. Cant see Mansfield losing many/any of their last games so weve got keep winning 
We won't need to win all 5. It was only a month or so ago that some were saying that Tranmere had sealed 2nd place so the only automatic place left was third! We need to match Mansfield to go up automatically. That's it. They won't win every game, I'll say it now. Neither will we. Can't quite believe how quickly a huge gap has opened up to 8th though

4 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Massive massive ask, but may need to win the last five as Mansfield could conceivably win their remaining matches. No pressure then eh!?  Come on you mighty White's 

We 'only' need to win 4 of the last 5 due to our better GD (unless Mansfield make up the extra +11 difference that we currently have).

No doubt that the backroom team will analyse the nuts off the conceded goals and make sure that  those mistakes are irradiated for the next match. Always good to be able to this with three points under the belt, meaning no great harm done. 
Blimey, talk about the nuclear option

6 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Massive massive ask, but may need to win the last five as Mansfield could conceivably win their remaining matches. No pressure then eh!?  Come on you mighty White's 

Four wins and Mansfield can’t catch us. Personally I think three and a draw may be enough as it would mean Mansfield would need to win 5/6 which I don’t think they’ll do.

1 minute ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

We 'only' need to win 4 of the last 5 due to our better GD (unless Mansfield make up the extra +11 difference that we currently have).

Mansfield got a game in hand over us so would be level with us with 5 games to go if they win that.  I agree both teams will likely slip up, just feel that 4 wins will be needed, I saw nothing from Sutton that might trouble Mansfield and wished they had Forest Green before the last game of the season.

2 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Four wins and Mansfield can’t catch us. Personally I think three and a draw may be enough as it would mean Mansfield would need to win 5/6 which I don’t think they’ll do.

4 wins and Mansfield can finish 3 pts ahead of us!

Thought we played really well 1st half but just made a lot of individual errors at the back. Game should have been out of sight.

Fantastic goal from Walker and defended well 2nd half but I thought a lot of the lads looked quite leggy even Garrity and Charley. 

3 points us all that matters and a little bit of a cushion now to the teams below us accept Mansfield. Good day all round for the club with money in the till from a very good crowd.

5 more nail bitters  to come.

Archived