onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

Think Oldham will stay up personally I think out of all the Home games I've being they have especially second half been one of the better sides I've seen up Vale they troubled us a lot .

When season started Dan jones was used as a right sided player couldn't  understand why he didn't get the nod come on .

I think Edmondson  contribution was OK  think the work for the second goal was excellent in general a great ball in .

Here's me marks .

Stone 6 deary me first half coming out his area catching the ball the wrong side of the line then looking very uncomfortable for there two goals,thought second half he did well though caught everything and making a save,although I thought his kicking was poor throughout  

Smith 5 All at sea for there 2 goals both coming in area of pitch where he defends  maybe it was nerves no idea why he was so poor first half second half improved but still let his man get wrong side of him luckily he headed wide ,not going be too hard on him as his performances are generally a 7 minimum .

Martin 6 won some big headers second half kept the Vale organised had a headed attempt over going other way think he generally did OK. 

Hall 5 his hardest game yet struggled to get us going the other way there Kellor whatever his name is was causing him problems .

Walker 7.5 passes it beautifully his goal was deserved he as smashed a glorious effort just wide v Salford and I felt he was going score at some point in the run in well the winning goal in a game where we were say a 5 out of 10 last 50 mins well its priceless that well done great moment we had a mental in the railway stand .

Garrity 5 I thought he was  having a OK game till he was booked ,just shows important he is he showed discipline after the booking though to remain on the pitch sending off you got be kidding BG always plays to win the ball generally he wins it fair and square like yesterday .

Benning 7.3 very impressed again with benning he was positive he was most excellent in his own position and then at go play in a role unfamiliar to him but I didn't see any mistakes from him so fair play  well played 

Worrall 6 think Worrall was doing well till got injured (hip I believe )sad see him go off as he was playing OK had a shot flashing wide .

Wilson 7.0 first shot of game parried by keeper his movement superb allowing Proctor the chance get shots away ,involved in winning goal then replaced .

Did well .

Proctor 7.7 two beautifully taken goals if Port Vale are to be automatically promoted it is essential that Jamie plays all 90 of last 5 the work he does just get a tiny bit of space to me does not go unnoticed ,I knew from the first time I saw him v Sunderland in league cup his unselfish play and great feet were going be a good fit for Vale .

He's brilliant .

Charsley 6 started game like a steam train playing really well as game went on hardly noticed him so credit to Oldham shutting down both Charsley and Garrity and having too much of the ball for my liking .

Subs 

Edmondson 7 I'm giving him that as that ball in for 2nd goal deserves it sacrificed for the team and playing in a position what I'd alien to him I guess .

Hussey 5 looked like he hadn't played for weeks to be fair a slightly iffy challenge in stoppage time but I'd have being livid if a penalty was given. 

Crowd got behind the team after the 3rd goal the atmosphere was OK but I expect it be taken up ten notches v Bristol Rovers with there huge away following coming. 

We won and we were at best average .

To me that tells me that we are capable of finishing in the automatic positions but be warned we cannot give poor goals away like that v Exeter Newport and Bristol Rovers well any of the remaining five games. 

In a way its good as they can put it right this week in training as at Salford we weren't defending like that the only thing I can think is that nerves are jangling a bit and that's understandable .

UTV 

25 minutes ago, Santa said:

No point trying to predict how many points we need because at the moment it looks like a straight fight between us and Mansfield. We need to match them stride for stride. 

The more Vale & Mansfield go toe to toe could easily bring Exeter into the mix. Could be a winner takes all in the final game.

Vale played some sublime attacking stuff up to it being 3-2, and were exposed to the long ball as a consequence, and some of our defending was atrocious. 
From then on we tried to throw a blanket over the game, sitting deeper.
It succeeded.
Just.
First goal was brilliant play from both Connor Hall, and Proctor, who was super alert, and super cool.
Edmundson's cross was sublime for the second.
Walker's goal was down to the coaching staff.
In some ways a brilliant performance, and in others, awful.
I guess that's what happens when you push and take risks...
Super entertainment.
I think Vale are playing at the limits.
Crosby is pushing them hard and getting them to play at their peak.
Mistakes will happen.
It's brilliant, quite high risk management.

Guest Vale at home
5 hours ago, Osh said:

Guys any news on Wozzer...??

Day and watched it on the couch trying not to rupture my stitched; great game but heart was in my mouth towards the end.

Ugly win but I'll take winning ugly every day for 3 points!

Onwards and upwards. 5 more cup finals; think we'll get 3 wins and 2 draws and go up automatically myself.

UTV and KTF

Get well soon .Osh  vale need 3 more points from the next game . Come on the vale . 

1 hour ago, saintvaliant said:

Crosby said Worrall was a hip problem. Hopefully it’s contact related rather than muscle or joint related.

A return to fitness for Gibbo would be very timely.

Cheers Saint 👍

11 minutes ago, Vale at home said:

Get well soon .Osh  vale need 3 more points from the next game . Come on the vale . 

Cheers m8. It's going really well. Had 9mm of bone taken out of my thigh 10 days ago and I'm amazed how well I'm recuperating. Thought I might have an outside chance of making Exeter - just an hour down the road from me, but didn't think I'd make Vale Park again this season. Now I'm thinking I might make the Newport match; but I'd need to come up on the train - going to check today as, with it now being a BH match, I might be screwed! ☹️

KTK and UTV - WNE

11 minutes ago, Osh said:

Cheers m8. It's going really well. Had 9mm of bone taken out of my thigh 10 days ago and I'm amazed how well I'm recuperating. Thought I might have an outside chance of making Exeter - just an hour down the road from me, but didn't think I'd make Vale Park again this season. Now I'm thinking I might make the Newport match; but I'd need to come up on the train - going to check today as, with it now being a BH match, I might be screwed! ☹️

KTK and UTV - WNE

Jeez that sound painful. I’m hoping you make a direct recovery to make it to VP. Take it easy.

The last half an hour of yesterday was torture but I think on the balance of play over the 90 we were the better team and deserved the win. 

Just watching our goals back this morning the second one there was some lovely passing football in the lead up to Edmundson’s cross to Proctor and the third was what Walker has been threatening to do for a while.

In retrospect I suspect Worralls injury forced Crosbys hand as otherwise Garrity may have been subbed for Jake Taylor as he was looking like he was just too eager to impress against his old club and it was affecting his performance a little.

Well done to the players and coaching staff again though for digging another win out.

7 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

The last half an hour of yesterday was torture but I think on the balance of play over the 90 we were the better team and deserved the win. 

Just watching our goals back this morning the second one there was some lovely passing football in the lead up to Edmundson’s cross to Proctor and the third was what Walker has been threatening to do for a while.

In retrospect I suspect Worralls injury forced Crosbys hand as otherwise Garrity may have been subbed for Jake Taylor as he was looking like he was just too eager to impress against his old club and it was affecting his performance a little.

Well done to the players and coaching staff again though for digging another win out.

Yes, I noticed that too. Jake had stripped and was ready to come on but Worrall's injury changed Crosby's mind.

Think I've just about calmed down now, that was not a fun finish to the game! 🥴

Preface this with saying it's not a criticism given how awesomehe'sbeen this last couple of months, (more likely just a first slight sign of jitters given the position we're in), but I actually think yesterday may have seen a first small mis-step from AC. If he was planning to take off Wilson around the hour, why not do that for Hussey and move Edmondson up, rather than bringing Harratt on in between? Thought we wasted a sub there that we really needed in that last 10 minutes, especially as Edmondson must have had his tail up after that tremendous assist.

Also, part of the reason we lost the midfield last 20 was that we dropped too deep, something we used to do a lot when in the lead, but not so often recently. That's possibly because Oldham were quite nippy up top and pushed us back, but meant there was too big a gap between back 6 (as it turned into) and front 2 for Charsley and Garrity to patrol, despite their best efforts.

Credit to Oldham and their fans, really hope they stay up, definitely think they deserve to based on our two games this season, but given the additional quality we showed first half we probably made that harder for ourselves than it needed to be. Great that we're winning scrappily though, testament to the fortitude we have in this squad.

My Leicester fan mate who came along for the game said it was a cracking game for the (almost) neutral, thought we were the better side overall, and it was right result given first half quality. Was impressed with Wilson's touch, Proctor's general play, the second goal and in particular Edmondson's assist. 

We both reckon Vale are going up, although I might find the process of getting there more stressful than him! UTBV!

45 minutes ago, Osh said:

KTK and UTV - WNE

Osh im a bit confused - are you saying you will be able to play or not? 🤣😁👍👍👍

speedy recovery mucka 👍

Archived