onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

4 hours ago, southernsausage said:

I agree! Advance apols, might be going off topic here, but sod it, Vale fans/attendances need some defence sometimes.

For balance, I think it can frustrate when history tells us there is some substantial latent support for Vale out there that aren't (for X Y Z reasons) at Vale Park for a lot of games. Not just talking about the Rudge-Horton years but even more recent history shows this... some of the crowds in MA's first spell (Shrews on a Tues night come to mind), the 13/14 year back in L1 and in 12/13 obviously. Any team that is consistently winning attracts inflated numbers so that's no slight on the extra thousands that turned up against Burton or Northampton or Wolves or Coventry, but it does show that they exist somewhere.

That said, we are averaging about 5,600 so far this season, which is, give or take 100 odd, bang in line with 12/13 - which had the two large crowds towards the end of the season. There is a very high chance this season's average will be higher than 12/13 when accounting for an expected big crowd tomorrow plus a probable 10k+ v Rovers and maybe the same v Newport dependent on how the next 4 games go.

I agree that Vale have some ridiculously loyal support. Not only does Port Vale share a city with a bigger club who have just had a 10-year glory period of top division football, a cup final and European trips, it is the smallest city in England with two professional teams. Put into even more context, Vale are probably exiting what has a very strong claim to being the worst period of the club's history - the only era of the club's history I personally have known (I'm 25). Two relegations, two administrations, two horrendous ownerships in a row (arguably three if Miller/Deakin are separated from the initial Bratt/MOLD) and most recently a consistent battle with bottom division relegation.

I don't necessarily like this stat since it's skewed (it includes a significant period of time when Vale were a very solid second tier club plus some other relative successes along the way), but the truth remains that Port Vale have only had one top 6 finish since 1993. The fact that Vale have/are coming out of that period with away day sell outs and the 5th highest average home attendance in the league is sort of mad. I vividly remember being quite depressed about the club's future in Dec '18. We drew to Cheltenham 2-2 with a last gasp Antony Kay header, it was a Saturday afternoon (albeit shocking weather and Christmas time) and there was less than 3000 Vale fans in the ground. The club was dying, the fans were on life support. It's down to the Shanahans why it didn't. Vale is a healing job and it's working, no matter how this season ends, we're on our way back, and frankly I'm grateful for anyone that keeps on turning up despite what we have been through.

NB I have lived between Exeter and Oxford my entire life meaning I have constantly struggled to get to games, so I'm one of those would love to be at every game but realistically can't be!!

This is an outsanding post, one of the reasons I keep coming back on here is for measured, well-informed posts like this.

I do agree with breadwinner to an extent, I think whenever there is a call for people to attend these types of games, it goes without saying the people that are ill or can't afford are excluded from that.

There could easily be 100-300 who have the money, live local, are on the fence whether to go and just need a gentle push, and FOMO is a real thing, get swept up by this madness.

However, I am excited but nervous for tomorrow. It's a banana skin game, Oldham have won 2 on the bounce fighting to survive, and they have had a tendency to take points off the clubs higher up the table over the season. Factor in our inability for most games to score or win by more than one goal, it is a hard one to call. I'm hoping Garrity has a man of the match type of game, I'm sure he will be desperate to prove to Oldham they made a mistake allowing him to leave.

On the subject of Ben, Josh Green Twitter video opposition manager menace shared a fantastic podcast that had Garrity on as a guest. He talks mostly of his rise from schoolboy footballer to Pro but discusses how he came to the decision of joining Port Vale and the recruitment process from Vale's side.

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

This is an outsanding post, one of the reasons I keep coming back on here is for measured, well-informed posts like this.

I do agree with breadwinner to an extent, I think whenever there is a call for people to attend these types of games, it goes without saying the people that are ill or can't afford are excluded from that.

There could easily be 100-300 who have the money, live local, are on the fence whether to go and just need a gentle push, and FOMO is a real thing, get swept up by this madness.

However, I am excited but nervous for tomorrow. It's a banana skin game, Oldham have won 2 on the bounce fighting to survive, and they have had a tendency to take points off the clubs higher up the table over the season. Factor in our inability for most games to score or win by more than one goal, it is a hard one to call. I'm hoping Garrity has a man of the match type of game, I'm sure he will be desperate to prove to Oldham they made a mistake allowing him to leave.

On the subject of Ben, Josh Green Twitter video opposition manager menace shared a fantastic podcast that had Garrity on as a guest. He talks mostly of his rise from schoolboy footballer to Pro but discusses how he came to the decision of joining Port Vale and the recruitment process from Vale's side.

I listened to this yesterday, it's great.  So good to hear that he's enjoying his career and the sacrifices that he's making.  He's also really enjoying it here too, it was recorded when Politic was here, would be great had it been later in the season as he's settled down and has had much more of an influence on the side as the season's gone on.

6 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I listened to this yesterday, it's great.  So good to hear that he's enjoying his career and the sacrifices that he's making.  He's also really enjoying it here too, it was recorded when Politic was here, would be great had it been later in the season as he's settled down and has had much more of an influence on the side as the season's gone on.

The thing that struck me the most is Tranmere were also interested, he's from Liverpool and that would have been so easy to live near the club, be close to family and be at the same level but Clarke and Flitcroft went the extra mile with having no issue paying the fee as they were so confident what he could do for the team and what they could get him to improve on.

It's a million miles from where we've been the last 20 years, a sort of mix of the personal touch of Alex Ferguson and presentations and data of the modern game.

Really hope that if we get a bumper gate approaching 10,000 that’s what the official attendance is quoted as and not knocked down by a couple of thousand for financial reasons 
As far as I am concerned the attendance is the total people attending the game apart from officials/employees etc. Who are these knocked down for financial reasons which is a serious allegation to make?

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
4 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:
Really hope that if we get a bumper gate approaching 10,000 that’s what the official attendance is quoted as and not knocked down by a couple of thousand for financial reasons 

As far as I am concerned the attendance is the total people attending the game apart from officials/employees etc. Who are these knocked down for financial reasons which is a serious allegation to make?

I think people confuse how Vale calculate the attendance. They don't do it off ticket sales, they do it off how many they have scanned

The reason the Brentford game was lower than people expected is because the scanner machines stopped working and they had to let people in by manually checking tickets and, in the Railway Stand someone pulled the security gate open at 3:10pm and letting in hundreds of people.

I think people confuse how Vale calculate the attendance. They don't do it off ticket sales, they do it off how many they have scanned
The reason the Brentford game was lower than people expected is because the scanner machines stopped working and they had to let people in by manually checking tickets and, in the Railway Stand someone pulled the security gate open at 3:10pm and letting in hundreds of people.
Neither were deliberate for financial gain.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
5 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Do you really think there was only 6300 at the Sutton game that means the ground was less than a third full 

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

This is now the last Saturday home game of the season, with the remaining 2 both being on Bank Holiday Mondays (18th April & 2nd May).

.....unless there'll be a Saturday Play-Off semi-final?!

Good spot! Didn't realize that it had been moved.

Archived