onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

42 minutes ago, robf said:

I agree. I can't imagine it helps fans who are ill, having money issues or have other pressing commitments to be wrongly called "disloyal" supporters on top of all their other problems.

I am sure:

a) Vale fans need no reminders of just how important this and the remaining games are

b) Vale fans love the club and will come if they can - but sometimes people can't - there are some things in life that are more important than attending a football match

Agreed, hopefully all can that can make it do as I think it’d be great to be part of something special that is happening right now but everyone has their own individual circumstances and they certainly shouldn’t be guilt tripped.

For tomorrow no need to change anything which isn’t broke so same team again. If can reach the same intensity we were showing on Tuesday then I expect we will have too much for Oldham. Can’t afford any complacency though. Under this setup with this squad I’m confident that won’t be a problem though.

Advert

5 hours ago, Emile said:

I really don't get this obsession with calling our own fans out for not 'packing the park'. I think it's great to get as many people to go to games as possible but I think vale fans are some of the most loyal in the league. 

I agree! Advance apols, might be going off topic here, but sod it, Vale fans/attendances need some defence sometimes.

For balance, I think it can frustrate when history tells us there is some substantial latent support for Vale out there that aren't (for X Y Z reasons) at Vale Park for a lot of games. Not just talking about the Rudge-Horton years but even more recent history shows this... some of the crowds in MA's first spell (Shrews on a Tues night come to mind), the 13/14 year back in L1 and in 12/13 obviously. Any team that is consistently winning attracts inflated numbers so that's no slight on the extra thousands that turned up against Burton or Northampton or Wolves or Coventry, but it does show that they exist somewhere.

That said, we are averaging about 5,600 so far this season, which is, give or take 100 odd, bang in line with 12/13 - which had the two large crowds towards the end of the season. There is a very high chance this season's average will be higher than 12/13 when accounting for an expected big crowd tomorrow plus a probable 10k+ v Rovers and maybe the same v Newport dependent on how the next 4 games go.

I agree that Vale have some ridiculously loyal support. Not only does Port Vale share a city with a bigger club who have just had a 10-year glory period of top division football, a cup final and European trips, it is the smallest city in England with two professional teams. Put into even more context, Vale are probably exiting what has a very strong claim to being the worst period of the club's history - the only era of the club's history I personally have known (I'm 25). Two relegations, two administrations, two horrendous ownerships in a row (arguably three if Miller/Deakin are separated from the initial Bratt/MOLD) and most recently a consistent battle with bottom division relegation.

I don't necessarily like this stat since it's skewed (it includes a significant period of time when Vale were a very solid second tier club plus some other relative successes along the way), but the truth remains that Port Vale have only had one top 6 finish since 1993. The fact that Vale have/are coming out of that period with away day sell outs and the 5th highest average home attendance in the league is sort of mad. I vividly remember being quite depressed about the club's future in Dec '18. We drew to Cheltenham 2-2 with a last gasp Antony Kay header, it was a Saturday afternoon (albeit shocking weather and Christmas time) and there was less than 3000 Vale fans in the ground. The club was dying, the fans were on life support. It's down to the Shanahans why it didn't. Vale is a healing job and it's working, no matter how this season ends, we're on our way back, and frankly I'm grateful for anyone that keeps on turning up despite what we have been through.

NB I have lived between Exeter and Oxford my entire life meaning I have constantly struggled to get to games, so I'm one of those would love to be at every game but realistically can't be!!

And back on topic!

2-1 Vale. Can see Oldham getting one somewhere along the line but I honestly feel if we play anywhere close to the standard we have recently set then Vale will come out on top. Really hope they stay up after however, decent club who I think all Vale fans should have some sympathy with at the moment.

We also owe them one for earlier in the season. Revenge against Sutton is complete, revenge against Salford is complete, revenge against Oldham pending. 

Proctor and Worrall.

UTV

2 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

Don't worry it's breadwinner /Alsager valiant, he is a bit of a hypocrite as he was the one a few years ago saying he couldn't be bothered to.go as he was away with his girlfriend most weekends or was working. Which I get but don't slate others who maybe can't afford or have other things to do. 

You are correct in a way and it's not like I was calling folk out who cannot go or afford go I just think if your Vale you go .

My post was aimed at folk who come big games but do not bother 95 per cent go to games where they are needed .

I've being more games than you will know and even if I do not go ill put money in the club some way or other but I do go away for weekends with gf that's correct and be honest most seasons I'm glad I do /did but this season is different there's a excellence about what's on the pitch players giving there all I put that post and many others on because I Love the Vale and want a big crowd (not for me it makes no difference to me )for the owners who unselfish hard work as brought everything I'd associate as professionalism back to our club .

UTV 

55 minutes ago, southernsausage said:

And back on topic!

2-1 Vale. Can see Oldham getting one somewhere along the line but I honestly feel if we play anywhere close to the standard we have recently set then Vale will come out on top. Really hope they stay up after however, decent club who I think all Vale fans should have some sympathy with at the moment.

We also owe them one for earlier in the season. Revenge against Sutton is complete, revenge against Salford is complete, revenge against Oldham pending. 

Proctor and Worrall.

UTV

I can see a very big win think it was Oldham last year it ended 0-0 but we should have had minimum 4 on that day with Worrall superb .

Really looking forwards to it I think 4-0 Proctor 3 and Wilson 1 .

Att 9435

14 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

I can see a very big win think it was Oldham last year it ended 0-0 but we should have had minimum 4 on that day with Worrall superb .

Att 9435

Really hope that if we get a bumper gate approaching 10,000 that’s what the official attendance is quoted as and not knocked down by a couple of thousand for financial reasons 

37 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Att 9435

Yes think that's correct, just before DC got us going in that mad run we went on at the end of the season?? Curle's first game in charge of Oldham at the time I think... Hammered them and somehow ended 0-0, play like that tomorrow and Proc and Willo have a hattrick each🤣

49 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Really hope that if we get a bumper gate approaching 10,000 that’s what the official attendance is quoted as and not knocked down by a couple of thousand for financial reasons 

If all season ticket holders go the gates 8500 as of  3 pm yesterday including Oldham some fellas put on on Wonder of Vale who I doubt is lying as he usually knows when tickets are on sale before they are and is usually spot on so hopefully its our biggest gate of season  

UTV 

This is one of thiose really potential 'banana skins.'  Described as "strugglers" (and certainly the league table would back that claim) however, two wins on the bounce and 2 clean sheets suggest this ain't gonna be a walk in the park!

All too often Vale seem to struggle against teams like Oldham--as their snatched victory against us at their place shows.  Let's hope that we don't 'skid' on that banana skin tomorrow!  Two other fixtures with top-9 teams playing each other could help us whatever our result, but fingers crossed that we can add another 3 points to our tally.  Come on you Vale!

I have a flexi ten ticket which as one game left on it which i wont for the bristol rovers game so i have brought a ticket for tomorrows game which mean my seat will not be sold as it is classed as a season ticket the ticket i have got for tomorrow is the seat next to my flexi  ticket seat and they could not sell it even though i had my flexi card with me also told vale not selling flexi tickets next season i'm 72 in june and because of ill heath do not go night games so the flexi is very helpfull. as i don't have to buy a full season ticket.

Just now, The Wonder of You said:

Just seen Vale offering parking on Dimensions for remaining three games and Robbie concert, reservable.  Isn't that going to be chaos given its a public car park, and only normally costs £1.20 to park there for a game!  Vale are looking at normal £5 for same space!!!!

Thanks for that info ,I usually park on there thanks will park somewhere else and walk in thanks 

Archived